Speakers To Help The Mids On An SLO100

Bad.Seed

Hey folks, recently joined a band that's more of a punky/classic hardcore deal, and am finding the tones I would normally go for don't apply here. I'm now shooting for a bigger, rounder tone as opposed to the ultra tight and aggressive stuff I normally go for.

I took my SLO to practice a couple weeks back and was really disappointed with the lack of cut and top end sizzle I couldn't get rid of out of the SLO. I took my Avenger next week and found myself much happier with that amp, as it was much more round and present in the mids and less fizzy on top.

The cab at the practice spot is a Marshall 1960AV with the stock v30's. On top of having no low end, the cab also seems to have more top end sizzle than I'm used to.

I know many don't like v30's with the SLO, but what are some speakers that you guys would suggest to fill in the broader mid frequencies? I have some h30's that might help, but they're also a very bright speaker. Maybe pairing with an M65 to darken a tad? Any other suggestions?

I have about 14 quad boxes with various speakers, vintage to modern. A Fane F70 / H Creamback mix has recently become one of my absolute favourites - it is somehow bright (H) and thick and meaty (Fanes) simultaneously. I don't have an SLO but an older HR50+ that sounds mighty through this combo, may work for you.

Hey folks, recently joined a band that's more of a punky/classic hardcore deal, and am finding the tones I would normally go for don't apply here. I'm now shooting for a bigger, rounder tone as opposed to the ultra tight and aggressive stuff I normally go for.

I took my SLO to practice a couple weeks back and was really disappointed with the lack of cut and top end sizzle I couldn't get rid of out of the SLO. I took my Avenger next week and found myself much happier with that amp, as it was much more round and present in the mids and less fizzy on top.

The cab at the practice spot is a Marshall 1960AV with the stock v30's. On top of having no low end, the cab also seems to have more top end sizzle than I'm used to.

I know many don't like v30's with the SLO, but what are some speakers that you guys would suggest to fill in the broader mid frequencies? I have some h30's that might help, but they're also a very bright speaker. Maybe pairing with an M65 to darken a tad? Any other suggestions?
Try G12 65s. They just work best and have plenty of cut, without the annoying top end of a V30 that seems to happen when I've ever paired a Marshall type amp with them, to me it's just too much 'mids on mids' for that to work. SLO/Marshalls are super mid heavy as you know. I boosted my SLOs so they sounded modded Marshally to my ears. Greenback type speakers like 65s worked best for me.

I think a well broken-in 65 watt Creamback is a pretty balanced speaker from low to mid to high. No real frequency spikes or dips to speak of. Some have said they find it a touch ‘dull’ or ‘flat’ for lack of a better term? I have not found a single negative or disappointed review of the Scumback M-75 speaker in any wattage.

If I were to play an SLO again through backline-typical speakers, I would probably choose G12T75s before V30s. And as much as I don't mean to sound like a jerk, use the knobs on the amp.

If I were to play an SLO again through backline-typical speakers, I would probably choose G12T75s before V30s. And as much as I don't mean to sound like a jerk, use the knobs on the amp.
The T75 would only enhance what I'm not liking, as it's a notoriously scooped and top end fizzy speaker. With the mid know all the way up and highs and presence dialed back, not much room to go for "using the knobs"

Also not trying to be a jerk, but you didn't even ask my settings before throwing that out there, so how would you know I'm not using the knobs?

I think a well broken-in 65 watt Creamback is a pretty balanced speaker from low to mid to high. No real frequency spikes or dips to speak of. Some have said they find it a touch ‘dull’ or ‘flat’ for lack of a better term? I have not found a single negative or disappointed review of the Scumback M-75 speaker in any wattage.
I have 2 M65's paired with 2 V30's in my Splawn 412, and I find that it does a good job at calming some of the spikiness of the V30 without changing the overall voicing too much. This is probably where I should start!

Reactions: PDC
Try G12 65s. They just work best and have plenty of cut, without the annoying top end of a V30 that seems to happen when I've ever paired a Marshall type amp with them, to me it's just too much 'mids on mids' for that to work. SLO/Marshalls are super mid heavy as you know. I boosted my SLOs so they sounded modded Marshally to my ears. Greenback type speakers like 65s worked best for me.
I also thought the G12-65 but haven't tried it yet. I still have an old front loaded ampeg 412 from the early 80's with these in it, but every time I play the cab, I come away a tad dissapointed. The low end just seems really loose, and although I'm not going for super tight here, it just seems to lack punch overall. Maybe it's the cab itself?

The T75 would only enhance what I'm not liking, as it's a notoriously scooped and top end fizzy speaker. With the mid know all the way up and highs and presence dialed back, not much room to go for "using the knobs"

Also not trying to be a jerk, but you didn't even ask my settings before throwing that out there, so how would you know I'm not using the knobs?

I don't know that you aren't using the knobs, it wasn't until this post that anything was said about settings.

In that case I would say "don't bring a knife to a gunfight". A Soldano SLO isn't in the ballpark when I would be thinking about a punk or hardcore gig anyways.

I also thought the G12-65 but haven't tried it yet. I still have an old front loaded ampeg 412 from the early 80's with these in it, but every time I play the cab, I come away a tad dissapointed. The low end just seems really loose, and although I'm not going for super tight here, it just seems to lack punch overall. Maybe it's the cab itself?
I’d bet my lunch it’s the cab. Pop those out and into a decent Marshall cab(or similar) and they will work well. While not as tight as V30s when I crank my 72 through them they aren’t loose by any means

V30s should do what you want for most amps, Im kinda surprised. Ive tried SOOoooo many speakers. I used to use greenbacks in a Splawn cab, that setup is great and has lots of mids as an alternative to v30s. Greenbacks are also tight enough especially in a Splawn cab. Recently I went through a bunch more celestion speakers and found that I really like the Golds. They are pricey but if you like mids they got plenty !

Other than that Ive tried a lot of Eminence , Warehouse and a couple Fanes ..... To my ears Celestion just sound right, nothing better for me.,

Pre-2005 Mesa OS 4x12 with T4335 (no “B”) original spec V30’s will do it marvelously.

Also get some real Russian military 6P3S-E power tubes with the stapled “tab-in-slot” contructed plates to replace the inferior Sovtek versions for fatter/better power amp saturated tones.

I don't know that you aren't using the knobs, it wasn't until this post that anything was said about settings.

In that case I would say "don't bring a knife to a gunfight". A Soldano SLO isn't in the ballpark when I would be thinking about a punk or hardcore gig anyways.
If you can't make an SLO work for aggressive styles of music, you need to learn how to use the knobs.

Now I am being a jerk, but just poking fun.

Back