Paul Gilbert fans: Lets talk about this live performance, and the spirit behind the song.

I've been posting that Viking Kong video here for years. One of my favorites.
He said he wrote a song to try to get YJM and him to play together, but YJM didn’t have time or something. I’m still trying to find where it’s a tribute or copy or anything like that?
He says he wrote/played the song "as if it were a duet"..."with me doing my best Yngwie impersonation and also my own impersonation of me". Or words to that effect. And even tho I think its great, his impersonation of Yngwie doesn't really sound like Yngwie (imo), it sounds like PG doing an impersonation of Yngwie.

He said he wrote a song to try to get YJM and him to play together, but YJM didn’t have time or something. I’m still trying to find where it’s a tribute or copy or anything like that?
Right after he says that, he explains that since yngwie couldn't or wouldn't play on it, that he would play parts that were "him," and parts that were "yngwie."

I just think it's really interesting when guitar players are on that level, the nuances make such a massive difference.

No one doubts Paul's skills - but him playing "yngwie" parts in the song highlights how difficult it really is. Even for an insane player like that.

I imagine it would be the same if the situation was reversed. There's no way yngwie could ever do the huge finger stretching arpeggios or machine gun strict alternate picking like Paul and make it sound super close.

Gilbert came up on Pandora this morn as i was starting my day @ 04:30-ish.
It was such an Atom Bomb explosion of guitar riffs my sleepy brain couldn't process the music.
I had to switch to something lower tempo til i got some java in me.
Force to be reckon'd.

Maybe Paul Gilbert would. So he could post a thread about it starting with "DanTravis62 fan..."
My music is peppered all over the place on R/T especially the Larry subforum, I'm sure if Paul wants to start a thread about how DanTravis62 is a Kirkland Signature™ version of Jon Drenning and Jon Schaffer, he absolutely can.

He'd probably be right too

It's possible I missed sarcasm, certainly

but it seems pretty obvious he's simulating a Paul/yngwie "duet" ? No?
Simulating -- even he said himself. He injects a ton of humor into his playing, which is what he's doing here. He knows he's not Yngwie.

there are some newer videos on youtube of Paul and his wife playing some Van Halen songs. He isn't playing them note for note and his wife probably isn't either. His singing doesn't sound anything like David Lee Roth. gasp

there are some newer videos on youtube of Paul and his wife playing some Van Halen songs. He isn't playing them note for note and his wife probably isn't either. His singing doesn't sound anything like David Lee Roth. gasp

I don't care, but thanks for commenting whoever the fuck you are. Much appreciated

Back