Best metal out there

really like middle eastern scales
also like their use of rests

Middle eastern scales and metal are such a great combination. You may like these guys. They are from Jerusalem which is where I am from so I am a bit biased. :p Usually not a big fan of these type of vocals but I dig the song overall.

Hers newish stuff that I really like.

Deathwhite - 2 albums, little doomish but really cool. Love the guitar tone.

New Amorphis, one of my favorite all time bands. This is off their new album to be released in February

For Power Metal, Powerwolf always delivers, their new album is really cool

They did this cool remake of Demons are a Girls Best Friend (with Alissa White-Gluz from Arch Enemy) on the new album, love this song

The new John 5 album is really cool too

Hers newish stuff that I really like.

Deathwhite - 2 albums, little doomish but really cool. Love the guitar tone.

New Amorphis, one of my favorite all time bands. This is off their new album to be released in February

For Power Metal, Powerwolf always delivers, their new album is really cool

They did this cool remake of Demons are a Girls Best Friend (with Alissa White-Gluz from Arch Enemy) on the new album, love this song

The new John 5 album is really cool too

never heard of deathwhite, but that is cool as hell. i am not against doom or stoner shit. I just never listen to it because haven't really been exposed. But the simple scale arpeggio is badass, and that is some awesome cinematography. Feels like you are going on a journey.. Kind of an experience vs just listening to a song.
Amorphis made me laugh. I thought it was going to be more like the vocals on the first clip. Then you get that guy doing some raunchy metal vocals. my son actually loves it. He ran in and had to get up to the computer.
He is a huge fan of powerwolf, too, it would seem. (he's 4, btw). Meshuggah Bleed makes him happy, But Tool is his fav band.
I think that powerwolf is some cool stuff. It seems that you have a style with metal. What do you call this genre?

Last edited:
I took some guitar lessons from Karl last month. Dude is super cool. I really just wanted to talk song writing with him as I already take lessons from Jon Bjork on theory and technique. He lives about an hour away from me so its also cool to talk to someone who is local. He was riding up to my home town to take a Splawn amp to Scott for maintenance so its cool just to see someone successful from N.C./S.C. who is still kicking ass.

He teaches some Cubase in private lessons as well so I may hit him up on that in the future.
Id love to sit down with him and bbq and riff maybe someday, I loved Nile and still do

never heard of deathwhite, but that is cool as hell. i am not against doom or stoner shit. I just never listen to it because haven't really been exposed. But the simple scale arpeggio is badass, and that is some awesome cinematography. Feels like you are going on a journey.. Kind of an experience vs just listening to a song.
Amorphis made me laugh. I thought it was going to be more like the vocals on the first clip. Then you get that guy doing some raunchy metal vocals. my son actually loves it. He ran in and had to get up to the computer.
He is a huge fan of powerwolf, too, it would seem. (he's 4, btw). Meshuggah Bleed makes him happy, But Tool is his fav band.
I think that powerwolf is some cool stuff. It seems that you have a style with metal. What do you call this genre?
For Powerwolf, I’d call it Power Metal.
Amorphis has a lot of other tunes with normal type vocals as well. Huge catalog, been around 20+ years and still rocking.

Lots of great shit in this thread. All the kinds of stuff I like. I didn't think as many guys were into power metal as much as I am, although honestly I haven't liked much of what's new in that area for many years. I always go back to my favorite albums after giving them a rest for a good while so they can really hit me again. Late 90's through the mid 2000's there were just so many killer albums.

Sonata Arctica was one of my absolute favorite bands up until Unia. Even though they started out obviously aping a lot of "window dressing" from Stratovarius, what always set them apart from everyone else IMO was Tony Kakko's approach to melody in songwriting and his atypical voice. He wasn't singing in a light head voice all the time or trying to sound like Rob Halford. The melodies in their songs are so good and catchy and bring a lot of emotion as well, they are able to overcome the sometimes laughable english-as-second-language lyrical content. You come to accept that in a good hearted fashion in general if you listen to a lot of European bands. Hard for me to pick between Silence and Winterheart's Guild as a favorite album.

This song has some of their classic unintentionally funny lyrics but you can't deny the vocal melodies and harmonies:

My other favorite power metal band was probably Kamelot. They've been very hit or miss for a long time post-Ghost Opera. I actually love Tommy Karevik as a vocalist in general but to me there's no real replacing Roy Khan. Again this a band that for me was strongly defined by the approach to melody and the unique voice of the iconic singer. The melodic approach was a colaboration between Roy and Thomas Youngblood, the guitarist and main force behind the band, so some of that remains in the post-Khan period, but I really just don't like a lot of where the band has gone in its current iteration. I can always go back to albums like Karma and Epica though and get blown away by what they did.

The first time I got a hold of this album it hadn't been out too long and I wasn't really that into this kind of music yet. I had been so focused on underground death metal for years and had only just thawed towards more melodic death metal and some black metal and was simultaneously getting back into more traditional heavy metal stuff. The opening track of this album grabbed me hard and I probably hit repeat like 10 times.

Back