Best metal out there

Inter Arma is kinda black/doom cross. Great band. They're on tour right now and just came through town last week. Amazing live.

Avant-garde jazz death metal. Imperial Triumphant is a unique experience

Between the Buried and Me is progressive grindcore that likes to pull a whole host of other genres into their songs.

They're overall a pretty hit or miss band to me, but I fucking love this album and come back to it a lot. One project I am working on takes some similar inspiration. I love the mix of more extreme metal with the occasional sort of Motorhead vibe.

Lots of great shit in this thread. All the kinds of stuff I like. I didn't think as many guys were into power metal as much as I am, although honestly I haven't liked much of what's new in that area for many years. I always go back to my favorite albums after giving them a rest for a good while so they can really hit me again. Late 90's through the mid 2000's there were just so many killer albums.

Sonata Arctica was one of my absolute favorite bands up until Unia. Even though they started out obviously aping a lot of "window dressing" from Stratovarius, what always set them apart from everyone else IMO was Tony Kakko's approach to melody in songwriting and his atypical voice. He wasn't singing in a light head voice all the time or trying to sound like Rob Halford. The melodies in their songs are so good and catchy and bring a lot of emotion as well, they are able to overcome the sometimes laughable english-as-second-language lyrical content. You come to accept that in a good hearted fashion in general if you listen to a lot of European bands. Hard for me to pick between Silence and Winterheart's Guild as a favorite album.

This song has some of their classic unintentionally funny lyrics but you can't deny the vocal melodies and harmonies:

My other favorite power metal band was probably Kamelot. They've been very hit or miss for a long time post-Ghost Opera. I actually love Tommy Karevik as a vocalist in general but to me there's no real replacing Roy Khan. Again this a band that for me was strongly defined by the approach to melody and the unique voice of the iconic singer. The melodic approach was a colaboration between Roy and Thomas Youngblood, the guitarist and main force behind the band, so some of that remains in the post-Khan period, but I really just don't like a lot of where the band has gone in its current iteration. I can always go back to albums like Karma and Epica though and get blown away by what they did.

The first time I got a hold of this album it hadn't been out too long and I wasn't really that into this kind of music yet. I had been so focused on underground death metal for years and had only just thawed towards more melodic death metal and some black metal and was simultaneously getting back into more traditional heavy metal stuff. The opening track of this album grabbed me hard and I probably hit repeat like 10 times.

Yeah. I wouldn't think of myself as a fan of power metal, but it is interesting. I am not adverse to it or anything. Just doesn't feel like it is ripping a hole in your soul.

Inter Arma is kinda black/doom cross. Great band. They're on tour right now and just came through town last week. Amazing live.

Avant-garde jazz death metal. Imperial Triumphant is a unique experience

Between the Buried and Me is progressive grindcore that likes to pull a whole host of other genres into their songs.

that is kinda kick ass mixing jazz and death. Very strange.

If you like BTBAM and the jazz metal thing, check out Animals as Leaders. It's instrumental jazz metal. Tosin is doing some next level shit on guitar.

They would be the the perfect band, if they only had a bassist.

It sounds really good. I can't fault it. I don't know if I miss the basssist there. I like the dissonant chords and the style. Not huge into the overdone djent tapping thing, but they pull it off. Really interesting progression through the song.

It sounds really good. I can't fault it. I don't know if I miss the basssist there. I like the dissonant chords and the style. Not huge into the overdone djent tapping thing, but they pull it off. Really interesting progression through the song.
Many may imitate, but it means more to originate. I agree that many have made it overused, but the fact that so many have copied Tosin says something.

Between the Buried and Me
And….

Many may imitate, but it means more to originate. I agree that many have made it overused, but the fact that so many have copied Tosin says something.
Yeah. don't take what i say too hard. It is a preference. I am really picky about music, but don't take my words as critique. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Tosin. Guy is amazing. Also, some of my taste is peer reviewed as bad.

Last edited:
Back