What if you had stopped when you found it?

I DID stop. Right after the Herbert. Grabbed the Arma same time but after that I was done.

I have two amps at Rob’s house right now, between the two of us what’s there is two Oranges, the Diezel, couple 5150/6505 variants and his couple of SS Randalls.

We always gravitate to both the Herb and the RH100. Nothing beats the Herb for either of us for tubes, and that Randall just fuckin SLAYS.

I’m done and haven’t bought any amps since last year, won’t either. No GAS.

I found my "one" more than a decade ago and it basically shut down all GAS. It was my old Cameron CCV. Saved me 1,000's not needing to hunt for another amp.

This is the same situation I'm in.

I would have saved an ungodly amount of money if I just bought a Larry in the first place, because it's killed any amp GAS, except perhaps another Larry as backup for gigs. As soon as I got it, I sold an ENGL fireball, h&k triamp, HR100+, Boogie dc10, and mark III.

If you find something that really works for you, like a CCV/Larry/2c/Naylor/old Marshall/whatever or something

No matter how expensive it is, it is less expensive in the long run than the constant amp flipping and buying pedals and swapping pickups and all the shit you do to try and make it more like the amp you should have gotten in the first place.

I did stop when I found the Wizard MC25 over 4 years ago but I went through a ridiculous number of amps before I got there....I’ve got other amps still, a Bogner 3534 for gig backup and a recent Matchless Laurel Canyon that’s a different thing but could easily just get sold today with no regrets

It's more about the adrenaline rush and anticipation of trying new amps for me. I own and have owned many incredible amps, but wind up jonesing for that thrill of something I never played. Unfortunately I have to flip to make the former happen because I don't have a ton of expendable income and need to sell to try something new. Wish I could keep a bunch.

Was never really about finding "the" tone...just having fun and getting excited about trying something new. It's like drugs only without the sometimes horrible effects 😁

I "stopped" when I got my 1973 goldtop LP back in 1988, and my first MESA Mark IIC+ over 12 years ago. EVH Stealth halfstack snuck it's way in, but that was when they were only going to make 100 of them. Very few amps in all these years. Marshall Lead 12>Laney AOR 100>1978 MESA Mark I> MESA Triple Recto>MESA Mark IIC+ (x3) combined with EVH Stealth 100 with the MESA amp switcher. I'm done.

Last edited:
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more" - Mr. Burns from "The Simpsons"

I've been good for a while now in the amp department, but I've bought amps that I thought would compete. I've sold some, kept some but, yeah, right now today, I have the best rig ever and I doubt it'll be surpassed, ever.

I'll always go check out gear and buy amps and guitars hoping to get that last 1% better gear. Tomorrow I'm buying a Taylor 810ce acoustic to replace my Taylor 314. I sold both my 6 string and 12 string acoustics recently. I replaced the Taylor 355 12 string with a 1967 Gibson B4512 and it was night & day. The sound and playability of the old Gibby is phenomenal, even my girlfriend was floored when I'd played them side by side, it was truly unreal. I'm thinking the 810 will satisfy my need for a good enough for now guitar.

Out with the old, in with the new.

Taylor 314 & 355-12 by John Bazzano, on Flickr
2001 Taylor 810ce by John Bazzano, on Flickr
1967 Gibson B4512 by John Bazzano, on Flickr

Last edited:
I stopped flipping amps/guitars 15 years ago. I rarely make new gear purchases at all, maybe a pedal every year or so. I just can't understand the people who are still constantly flipping nonstop after all this time playing. I feel like if you have owned 50 guitars and 50 amps have not found one that makes you happy or you consider a keeper, you probably never will. But if that makes them happy for the moment..that's all that matters.

I stopped flipping amps/guitars 15 years ago. I rarely make new gear purchases at all, maybe a pedal every year or so. I just can't understand the people who are still constantly flipping nonstop after all this time playing. I feel like if you have owned 50 guitars and 50 amps have not found one that makes you happy or you consider a keeper, you probably never will. But if that makes them happy for the moment..that's all that matters.
I agree with you.... BUT it's the thrill of the chase. Getting something new.

One major reason why I don't buy stuff is I HATE shipping. The anxiety of packing it so it doesn't get broken and waiting to hear that it was received safely. :hys:

"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more" - Mr. Burns from "The Simpsons"

I've been good for a while now in the amp department, but I've bought amps that I thought would compete. I've sold some, kept some but, yeah, right now today, I have the best rig ever and I doubt it'll be surpassed, ever.

I'll always go check out gear and buy amps and guitars hoping to get that last 1% better gear. Tomorrow I'm buying a Taylor 810ce acoustic to replace my Taylor 314. I sold both my 6 string and 12 string acoustics recently. I replaced the Taylor 355 12 string with a 1967 Gibson B4512 and it was night & day. The sound and playability of the old Gibby is phenomenal, even my girlfriend was floored when I'd played them side by side, it was truly unreal. I'm thinking the 810 will satisfy my need for a good enough for now guitar.
ok. that's fine. don't sell the 314. if you do, let me know first. I miss mine. I love my d18, but the 314 is special

Started with a 5150II, couldn’t afford a Marshall, modded it to oblivion, played that for ages.

I played a Laney GH100TI. Loved it. Swore I’d own one. I didn’t know at the time it was JCM800 based.

Bogner XTC was based on playing an uberschall rev green at Lugo’s amp fest in 2010. I knew the XTC was Marshall based.

The metroplex was more of a dream amp, that was the most recent and arguably last one I’ve bought - it can do EVH, modded Marshall, ‘68 stock, ‘67 stock, and has gig friendly features.

The 1974 Marshall that I’ve repaired and built the past few years is what gets all of my play time though.

Order that id sell them from most likely to least likely:

Metroplex
5150 II
Bogner
Laney
‘74 2203
A '74 2203?
That must be a converted 1959 SLP

A '74 2203?
That must be a converted 1959 SLP
Spent a whole year from designing it in LTSpice to building it. I’ve spent all of this year tweaking it tone wise.

Worth every minute.

BB28C95C-844D-4E73-83A2-E5D4CE604E69.jpeg

I like to think I've at least partially solved my problem of gear flipping by just deciding to never sell gear anymore if I can help it at all, and never keeping anything beyond the return period unless I can clearly see myself never wanting to sell it, ever. If I don't love it, it can't stay.

Unfortunately I keep finding new sounds to love, which means new (or at least new to me) gear to chase. :D

I have had several "it" amps over the years. Some I wish I had back. I did however stop when I purchased my Splawn. I've been rocking it for almost eight years. So I've got that going for me... ;)

My last one didn't really exist. That 74 2203 build is Dagnall iron with a 2203 board and it's been ground-up built and modified to my tastes. It's basically a 3 stage + CF JCM800 that when boosted sounds exactly as I prefer. I wanted hot-rodded JCM800 with solo boost and a footswitchable true bypass metroloop, but I didn't want to scarifice the mids of a JCM800 and I wanted something more aggressive sounding overall.

It literally didn't exist, so I had to plan and build it from scratch.

I bought the metroplex to actually have another metroloop amp to slave in stereo with my 74 should I want it. It also covers a very nice 1967 marshall plexi tone that's close enough for me without needing a homeowners insurance policy out on a real 67 plexi that I would be afraid to gig.

Back