Eq in the loop?

no doubt about that but on the other side those sounds are not the same You use in band/live setting. This is how I compare amps not by how Andy Sneep can produce my amps with all his EQ magic.
Of course I tried diffrent EQs but cutting/boosting always sound artifical and doesn’t work in live setting. For example Fryette pitbulls sound more natural without EQ…but it not typical Medison square bedroom V-shape EQ 😀

no doubt about that but on the other side those sounds are not the same You use in band/live setting. This is how I compare amps not by how Andy Sneep can produce my amps with all his EQ magic.
Of course I tried diffrent EQs but cutting/boosting always sound artifical and doesn’t work in live setting. For example Fryette pitbulls sound more natural without EQ…but it not typical Medison square bedroom V-shape EQ 😀

oh

I've seen more than a few post about the OG black MXR being noisy. I've had I bought maybe 2007 and it's dead quiet I feel :dunno:
Yep, it seems to be hit or miss with them. I had one and it was great. Sold it. Got another one about a year later and it was noisy as hell. Could have just been that one, but sharing the experience.

It doesn’t have to be Andy Sneap. Tom Scholz used LOTS of EQ pre and post distortion, EVH supposedly had a setup he used on everything in the studio with Puletc EQs and Lang filters that Andy Johns let slip in an interview once, so EQ sculpting in the studio is probably pretty universal in rock/hard rock.

Gotta disagree with the idea that “you have the wrong amp” if you feel the need to use EQ in the loop.

I’ve never heard a modern high gain amp that wasn’t able to be improved in one way or another with subtle EQ tweaks here and there, whether it’s slightly boosting lows for body and high mids for clarity, or cutting stuffy low mids or fizzy top end.

EQ in the loop can’t help an amp with poor preamp gain filtering or voicing, but it can absolutely help with an amp’s overall footprint.

Gotta disagree with the idea that “you have the wrong amp” if you feel the need to use EQ in the loop.

I’ve never heard a modern high gain amp that wasn’t able to be improved in one way or another with subtle EQ tweaks here and there, whether it’s slightly boosting lows for body and high mids for clarity, or cutting stuffy low mids or fizzy top end.

EQ in the loop can’t help an amp with poor preamp gain filtering or voicing, but it can absolutely help with an amp’s overall footprint.
Definitely can help footprint and other things, but like you said if the inherent tone just isn’t good (like it sounds plastic-y, fake or whatever) I could never figure out any ways to redeem amps in those cases

Definitely can help footprint and other things, but like you said if the inherent tone just isn’t good (like it sounds plastic-y, fake or whatever) I could never figure out any ways to redeem amps in those cases

This is why I’d rather have a parametric than a graphic as well, you can do a eq sweep and find the exact plasticky frequencies and surgically remove them

you can do a eq sweep and find the exact plasticky frequencies and surgically remove them

That's how I used the Empress. Boost the LF and HF knobs and then sweep looking for both the ice pick
and the low resonant point of the speaker cab. Back each off -3dB or so and it can be a night and day difference.

I make it a standard practice to use two EQ's most of the time nowadays, a Boss GE-7 into the input and one of several EQ's I have around the house in the loop.

The Boss is great for driving the input just a bit and if necessary you can trim back the bass just a tad (like when I'm playing through a Dual Rec) for clarity and tightness.
In the loop, I'll either go with an MXR 10-band, a Mesa 5-band, or an old Rane rack parametric 5-band, depending on the amp.

Truth be told, when you run two EQ's like this, you can get almost any high gain amp at least into the ballpark of almost any other high gain amp within reason if you want. Subtlety is usually the best practice here though. Less is more and all that.

Last edited:
Back