Eq in the loop?

The newer silver MXR eq's work great or what Raceu4her said, parametric eqs are pretty damn awesome too.

I A/B'd the Mesa 5-band and MXR 10-band EQs with my 5150 III 100w amps and the MXR suited it just a bit better I think.

yes, get one.
My mark Iva has a 5 band on it, and i still toy with eqs in my loop almost always. it just adds to the flexability / diversity of your tonal arsenal. more fine tuning to get you where you want to be before you give up and change amps.
Get a graphic first and get comfortable with that, then try messing with parameterics.
graphics are super straight forward.
i have an old mij ge-7 that i got for free, that stays in my mark IV loop, and cuts 3db of 400hz and thats it. if i want to use it as a solo boost, i just boost the level fader. it "clears" things up.

i just dont find many eq pedals to have very good frequencies for guitar so thats why i like parametrics, much more versatile. Xactone makes a modded ge7 with much better guitar frequencies but they are always sold out

I’ve tried several (mxr, whirlwind, Mesa, Source Audio as well as a couple of rack based 16 and 32 band) and they all sound good. The only difference was when not playing, the MXR (old style black one) was noisy. I think you can’t go wrong, try one. I have a Source Audio EQ2 in the way because it’s stereo, but happy with them all.

I’ve tried several (mxr, whirlwind, Mesa, Source Audio as well as a couple of rack based 16 and 32 band) and they all sound good. The only difference was when not playing, the MXR (old style black one) was noisy. I think you can’t go wrong, try one. I have a Source Audio EQ2 in the way because it’s stereo, but happy with them all.

I've seen more than a few post about the OG black MXR being noisy. I've had I bought maybe 2007 and it's dead quiet I feel :dunno:

I've liked most of what I've had my vintage blue MXR 6-band and Boss GE-10. I've not actually touched them in a while now, but they can do a lot of good things. I've had before a black MXR 10-band and the Mesa/Boogie 5-band (maybe others I forgot about). It's been too many years to remember why the others went, but did my AB comparison back then and found those 2 worth keeping and different enough. I've not liked any of the PQ's I've had in the loop, but kept a few vintage rack PQ's that can be great as a boost in front of the amp, but needs very careful dialing in and they are very noisy, especially if those graphic ones seem that way lol

I don’t even mess with the sliders. Maybe a touch bump on the high and a bump on the low slider. Rest is flat lined.
But it makes a huge difference in the overall sound. Doesn’t color the amps tone at all. Just seems to inject it with steroids haha

only reasonable explanation of better sound in loop without tougning the sliders is buffer/volume boost. Personally not a fan. If amp need external EQ than it is not right amp 😀

If amp need external EQ than it is not right amp 😀

i can guarantee most every album we hear has some kind of guitar eq'ing going on whether it be at the console or in post processing if not the amp, id rather do it with a parametric in the loop and get it right at the source if possible, a .3db bump or scoop is sometimes all it takes

Back