Naylor fans/owners...talk to me about them

PurityS.L.G

Are these just boutique modded Marshalls essentially? Is any of the line something my Ceriatone Chupa can't pull off or do?

There's an element of modded Marshall in there, but there's also tweed fender and even some Dumble or Boogie style tones depending on how you dial it in. It's more compressed and less raw than a true Marshall. The gain is really addictive and satisfying. It can really fatten up single coils. I recommend listening to Andy Most on YouTube and some of the tunes here: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=915383

Last edited:
They're one of the best "expansions" on the marshall sound ever, along with wizard, larry, steavens, friedman, jose, langner, morin, etc.

They have a very unique, smooth character that is absolutely gorgeous with the right player.

Every single person on RT thats about to comment "i used to own one" is about to say "i miss that amp."

Fantastic amps! The other guys already covered well what it does, but don’t be mislead, although less raw and more compressed than vintage Marshall’s, still more raw and open than the vast majority higher gain non-vintage amps and although smooth in a way, more in its upper mids, it’s also at the same time a gritty, aggressive amp, more so in its low mids. I was not interested in trying them for years with guys on forums saying misleading comments about them being dark and smooth. Immediately made think well I don’t want another Bogner or Friedman type amp, but thankfully are not like those. They are also very tight, great attack and feel. If you play leads where you do a lot of expressive stuff in the details of picking, raking and how you vibrato it’ll also show very well and demonstrate better your expressive intentions

Fantastic amps! The other guys already covered well what it does, but don’t be mislead, although less raw and more compressed than vintage Marshall’s, still more raw and open than the vast majority higher gain non-vintage amps and although smooth in a way, more in its upper mids, it’s also at the same time a gritty, aggressive amp, more so in its low mids. I was not interested in trying them for years with guys on forums saying misleading comments about them being dark and smooth. Immediately made think well I don’t want another Bogner or Friedman type amp, but thankfully are not like those. They are also very tight, great attack and feel. If you play leads where you do a lot of expressive stuff in the details of picking, raking and how you vibrato it’ll also show very well and demonstrate better your expressive intentions

Yep, 100% right.

They are smooth but not in the super gained bogner or friedman way. They're way closer to vintage marshalls, only with an emphasis on the low mids and a much more dynamic, smooth character.

Oh man...you guys just fueled my GAS, thanks LOL

So when you mention emphasis on lower mids, are you meaning something more in the vein of a Jube?

Oh man...you guys just fueled my GAS, thanks LOL

So when you mention emphasis on lower mids, are you meaning something more in the vein of a Jube?
It’s not like the jubilee. It sounds something kinda like a middle ground between my ‘67 tremolo 50 and ‘79 JMP2203, but tighter, more attack and a little more gain on tap than both and still enough of its own thing

It’s not like the jubilee. It sounds something kinda like a middle ground between my ‘67 tremolo 50 and ‘79 JMP2203, but tighter, more attack and a little more gain on tap than both and still enough of its own thing

Yep. It way, way more vintage style than a jube.

If you're comparing it to a jube you're still thinking too modern, although they do have a lot of gain.

They're literally like an old Marshall except smoother and slightly more compressed, with a tighter low end and really amazing high end dynamics IE pick attack.

Well said! Smooth while still open/raw, darkish yet can get bright enough, with a super nice 'sticky' feel...gain is a little more than a 2203; takes boosts well-if you crossed a modded Fender with a JCM 800....or maybe like a Bogner modded JCM 800....chords have great clarity while individual notes are nice n fat..
A very unique amp that straight in, sounds like early ZZ Top and boosted you can do 80s and more; depending on the boost pedal.

I still want one

Well said! Smooth while still open/raw, darkish yet can get bright enough, with a super nice 'sticky' feel...gain is a little more than a 2203; takes boosts well-if you crossed a modded Fender with a JCM 800....or maybe like a Bogner modded JCM 800....chords have great clarity while individual notes are nice n fat..
A very unique amp that straight in, sounds like early ZZ Top and boosted you can do 80s and more; depending on the boost pedal.
With my Coppersound Broadway boost pedal specifically I get some of the best ZZ Top type tone I’ve had and with the Dino boosts can almost do modern metal depending how picky your are about that. Still like klon best boosting it of what I have

I used to have one. Very dark and very smooth. Never harsh. Didn’t cut enough for me, personally. I was always cranking the presence.

If you pull a schematic for one, it’s pretty different from a Marshall. The power section is very different. It’s definitely unique and it’s own thing.

Killer amp! One of my all time favorites. Fat, but tight. Smooth, yet raw. Dark, but gritty and aggressive. Sticky, yet bouncy under the fingers. A very unique and awesome combination that they pulled off. Naylors remind me of a vintage Marshall meets a Recto, but tighter than both. They’re woody, and bark like a Marshall, but with aggressive low mids, and plenty of low end. Not Recto lows, but much more than Marshalls. They’ll also get downright vicious with a boost. They’ll kill at everything from blues, to rock, to the broots. Not the amp I’d choose for Death Metal, but it’ll thrash all day long with the best of them. Get one if you can.

Last edited:
I used to have one. Very dark and very smooth. Never harsh. Didn’t cut enough for me, personally. I was always cranking the presence.

If you pull a schematic for one, it’s pretty different from a Marshall. The power section is very different. It’s definitely unique and it’s own thing.
I think most guys who have one crank the presence, also treble set high-ish, and bite switch engaged. It's cool because it gets plenty of bite and sizzle without being harsh or unpleasant. The Friedman's or Bogner's on the other hand imo just can't get that same bite or teeth, just not in the cards for them, except the Helios (which doesn't sound like a Bogner anyway imo). We used my 1995 Naylor SD60 on my friend's last re-amp (and plenty other amps ) for his songs and it cut through and sat great, better than most amps I have actually except for just my Marshall's and Purpleface and surely my '89 SLO if I had owned it at the time. Cut through better than my Wizard MTL actually. The 60 I have though is noticeably brighter and a little rawer than my 2017 SD100. I guess with out that bite switch engaged it may not be an amp I'd use much. Very dark with it off

This clip is a good example of how they sound and imo not very smooth or dark sounding, just maybe moderately so in places:

Last edited:
That's a really good clip. Sounds great there.

I had the Duel 60. The bite switch only worked on the clean channel which I was disappointed with. I wish it had worked on the drive sounds because mine needed the brightness.

That's a really good clip. Sounds great there.

I had the Duel 60. The bite switch only worked on the clean channel which I was disappointed with. I wish it had worked on the drive sounds because mine needed the brightness.
Ah I've not tried any Duels. I've got a 1995 SuperDrive 60 and 2017 SuperDrive 100. Maybe that's why some say they're so dark and smooth. I always keep the bite on and imo it's not that dark of an amp with it. With the SD60 I like sometimes also without the bite and presence and treble both dimed, but usually just keep the bite on. Anyway, one of my favorite amps for gain

Back