Anyone feel like they don't gain from using an attenuator?

Nothing sounds better than guitar to amp and cab. Even a pedal board affects tone. That said, I have the Reload. It isn't the best attenuator but it is a very good one. I find that I really do not like the tone below half in the room but the benefit are when you mic the cab. Listen to it that way, totally different. Actually sounds like it is doing what you paid for. But bedroom volumes after hours? Sounds like shit. Needs a mic and pre and listening to it that way.

I honestly get what I want with out one . I’m using modern hi gain heads and at some turning it up makes the amp sound worse . My masters stay at 4 to 5 loudest and I’m really happy . For me that is
Yeah the only MV amp I have that I actually like higher than that is my ‘79 JMP2203. All the others set lower

I used to run an EVH stealth through a boss waza tae (which I guess isn’t technically an attenuator I’ve seen) but found that it sounded great without it. But with a Jcm 800, it was nice though. I use the boss now to go from any amp to FOH but that’s beside the point I think.

Mine is only really good when the master volume is 2 or less.
Any higher volume and the attenuator defeats itself.

The best attenuator I’ve ever tried is when I surrounded my cabinets with boxes and crates full of unsold home recording books. The cabs weren’t even visible anymore. No matter how loud I cranked it I couldn’t hear a damn thing!

I had an amazing sounding 67 SB that was in almost mint condition, and was one of the best Marshalls I've heard. The thing was perfect either loud(with it's own breakup) or at low volume with pedals pushing it. Had it for two years, and around early 2001, I got an attenuator for it, and after about a week, it fried the OT. And it wasn't even pushing it that hard. Amp volume was about 2:00 and attenuator three clicks down. Tried everything from older transformers, new MM, the original rewound twice, but the amp never sounded that great again. So I promised I would never ever use another attenuator again.
Plus, I never heard an amp with an attenuator that sound as good as one without it or with a decent Master Volume.
Matter of fact, I even avoid buying amps from people who uses them with attenuator. With the volume of amps that I've had the chance to own, coincidence or not, the ones that were previously used constantly with an attenuator, were the least inspiring ones, and the ones that got booted not long after.
More power to the ones who likes and use them.
Me? I hate them.
That's my experience with attenuators.
I have the opposite experience. I been diming my 100 watt superlead for decades with a Marshall Powerbreak attenuator and all i ever have to do is replace power tubes every 6 months and general maintenance.

Depends on what youre trying to gain from an attenuator.

They're great for NMV marshalls and vintage style amps, but I mostly use my PS1 as a power amp. The Larry MV is so ridiculously good that it makes no difference at all using the PS1 as an attenuator with it.

Yep, True Dan, my Larry Dino has the best master I’ve ever experienced.

I have the opposite experience. I been diming my 100 watt superlead for decades with a Marshall Powerbreak attenuator and all i ever have to do is replace power tubes every 6 months and general maintenance.
Lucky you. Not only I don't trust attenuator efficiency anymore but I also hate the way they choke an amp tone.

Yep. Didn't like any of the ones I've tried. An OD pedal push always sounded better to me.

Non Master Volume Amps need one unless you live on a private island..
Here's a clip of a Trainwreck wide open into a Rock Crusher knocked down to a talking volume..
'Might not be your tone, but it's the only I can play the damn thing..

nice! I had a spot where I could play/record my nmv amps with no attenuator but in an apt now. attenuator saves the day. love the Trainwreck! Played a clone at an amp show and was blown away. the attack and clarity were insane

I have a stock Marshall Origin 50 watt that really like running that through a attenuator, and get some great old cranked up nmv tones, AC/DC to EVH and with a boost... From what I’ve tried on my higher gain amps I just have not been able to make them work with an attenuator.

Yes the powerbrake is good ! I use it with one of my 800. Makes the master volume more manageable and doesn't affect the tone adversely IMHO. I also have the rack version, Marshall SE100. Very good as a loadbox for recording.

Back