Mesa Factory Repair Costs?

I just sent an amp in for a recap and general servicing/cleaning, I just got my invoice the other day. Shop Labor rate is $110/hr, but that was for Mike B. Parts were as cheap as $1-4. They don't rake you through the coals too much. Shipping was $160 fully insured, which was close to how much I spent on shipping/insurance to send it out. I'm right at $500.
I sent mine last monday and now it's stuck in Cali. I guess delivery issues out there, should be there in the next few days. Do they just send you an invoice, call ya up with an estimate, not sure how that works..... I forgot to ask them last week. Thanks!

I sent mine last monday and now it's stuck in Cali. I guess delivery issues out there, should be there in the next few days. Do they just send you an invoice, call ya up with an estimate, not sure how that works..... I forgot to ask them last week. Thanks!
They should email you an invoice and a number to call for payment.

Last January I sent my Mark IVa head to Mesa for cap job and inspection. Total labor and parts with shipping both ways was about $450. Money well spent! My amp sounds amazing.

Mike B did the work too!

They called me up one afternoon and told me the pricing on everything. Took my card over the phone. I got the invoice in my email several days later 😂. I had a few emails back and forth with Mike B about pricing estimates so I wasn't blind sided. Ymmv.

i sent a quad preamp to them for service as i bought it used on ebay.
they looked over the entire unit and replaced all 12 preamp tubes and it was under 150 dollars with shipping. i was shocked at the price, turn around time and overall customer service they provided.
this was back in the early 2000s though not sure about now.

From the Boogie Board -
"Mesa still has some of the best service on the planet.

Just got my 92 MKIV A from Mike Bendinelli after cap job, all new tubes, and other service.

No way I could do everything on the invoice in 3.25hrs.

01/05/22 Mike Bendinelli: A shorted .1/400 v cap at the bass for ch 3 caused the static and crackle and jumping plate voltages at V1. Also dirty pots and pulls, and when input cable is unplugged the short contact was not closing well. Fixed and cleaned the jack. Cleaned all the pots, pulls, pre tube sockets, jacks etc. The switchable loop jack was also intermittent. Rebuilt the output Lvl pot. Replaced all the electrolytic caps in the amp, all were original. Upgraded the .1/400 caps at V5 to .1/600 volt. Rev plate resistor was far off spec, replaced. Added grid isolation resistors at the class A/B tubes. Soldered all the “crimped” LDR extender leads on stacked LDRs. Cleaned a couple sliders and relubed as needed. Rev well with bench tank and w/ bench FTSW all is good. Install new set of tubes, burn in and playtest.
Labor 3.25 hrs.

I did recapping of my other MKIV myself. It turned out fine but took me a lot longer.

It sounds marvelous and phantom quiet!"

From the Boogie Board -
"Mesa still has some of the best service on the planet.

Just got my 92 MKIV A from Mike Bendinelli after cap job, all new tubes, and other service.

No way I could do everything on the invoice in 3.25hrs.

01/05/22 Mike Bendinelli: A shorted .1/400 v cap at the bass for ch 3 caused the static and crackle and jumping plate voltages at V1. Also dirty pots and pulls, and when input cable is unplugged the short contact was not closing well. Fixed and cleaned the jack. Cleaned all the pots, pulls, pre tube sockets, jacks etc. The switchable loop jack was also intermittent. Rebuilt the output Lvl pot. Replaced all the electrolytic caps in the amp, all were original. Upgraded the .1/400 caps at V5 to .1/600 volt. Rev plate resistor was far off spec, replaced. Added grid isolation resistors at the class A/B tubes. Soldered all the “crimped” LDR extender leads on stacked LDRs. Cleaned a couple sliders and relubed as needed. Rev well with bench tank and w/ bench FTSW all is good. Install new set of tubes, burn in and playtest.
Labor 3.25 hrs.

I did recapping of my other MKIV myself. It turned out fine but took me a lot longer.

It sounds marvelous and phantom quiet!"
Hey there.....I resemble that remark ;) that was me. Total bill was $675 from Boogie. Add on $65 out of pocket to get it there UPS gnd. I sent just the chassis without any tubes. I told them to carefully go over the amp and spare no expense.

I have 2 MKIV's. I recapped the B model myself. I took me a lot longer than 3.25hrs and was not a fun job for me. It turned out very good, but I took my time as it is not something I do every day.

I had heard Mike Bendinelli will retire soon. Being I consider him the Godfather of Mesa MK repairs (there are numerous Mesa Marks out there with initials "M.B." on the chassis. Check yours, you might be surprised), I sent my prized 92 MKIV-A to him. They are swamped. I got it back in 6wks.

It sounds better than I ever remember. It really does.

It was like getting an old friend back I forgot I had.

Mike Bendinelli is the absolute best with the vintage Marks. He really is.

There is none better than Mike Bendinelli on MKIV's. NONE!!!

Here's some pictures of the chassis just back from Petaluma before I put it back in the combo shell.

vY6k24F.jpg

ViTP34I.jpg

PO9XZtC.jpg

42bq7mu.jpg

XWcIN4m.jpg

k66h1Ki.jpg

b5BzqTP.jpg

5Sq2dQb.jpg

aVU4UKq.jpg

Last edited:
I just sent an amp in for a recap and general servicing/cleaning, I just got my invoice the other day. Shop Labor rate is $110/hr, but that was for Mike B. Parts were as cheap as $1-4. They don't rake you through the coals too much. Shipping was $160 fully insured, which was close to how much I spent on shipping/insurance to send it out. I'm right at $500.
Thanks!

Got a status from Mesa, they have had it for 2 weeks, should have some idea in another 2 weeks, 4 weeks behind.
If it's a Mark, and it went to Mike Bendinelli (which I believe does most of the older MK's) it's well worth the wait. I didn't bug the shit out of them, I just waited for them to contact me. Peter Wilson at Mesa called one day out of the blue with the cost, and took my credit card number over the phone. Made it from CA to TX UPS ground 4days later.

If it was twice as much ($675 was my invoice), I'd have still paid it. Mike Bendinelli has done so many Marks through the years (I'm thinking probably just about everyday) there really is nobody better to send them to. Mitch Faber was pretty good with them when he was there, but he died some years back. I've always known Mesa to be very fair with the repair billing anytime I've ever sent them anything. If it was any cheaper, I'd be wondering. I'm still marveling how long my old Mesa lasted before it needed anything major. I've played the shit out this thing for 30yrs, and only ever changed power tubes 4 times, and a couple of microphonic preamp tubes. I had the original EV re-coned last year.

There are a couple of blow hard know it alls who claim to be Mesa Repair Gods that check in here occasionally. I wouldn't let them work on my toaster.

Although there is one guy that's pretty good with them (fusionbear). He strikes me as a very good dude.

I don't claim to be the amp repair expert myself, and hate working on something as packed as some of these Mesas. And there is no way in hell I'd want to tackle some of the new ones like this JP2C:

YreSSHF.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, these guys that truly know what they're doing and are good with these because they do them most everyday, are worth every penny. Anybody bitching about their labor rates or time they (Mesa) take to do them, just needs to fix it themselves or get another amp. Or get one of the know-it-alls to do it.

At 63, I'm pretty sure I'll die before my MKIV-A needs anything else other than tubes. Everything in mine (I'm original owner.....bought from Kim Davis @ Brook Mays Pro Shop, Dallas, TX in 1992) was original. It had all been cooking 30yrs. I did get the EV re-coned last year. It finally and gradually developed a slight buzz/rattle in the last couple of years.

I don't have enough words for Mesa service on these old Marks. But I do wonder who will take Bendinelli's place when he finally retires. Hopefully, he will continue on his own. He will definitely have no shortage of work!

If it's a Mark, and it went to Mike Bendinelli (which I believe does most of the older MK's) it's well worth the wait. I didn't bug the shit out of them, I just waited for them to contact me. Peter Wilson at Mesa called one day out of the blue with the cost, and took my credit card number over the phone. Made it from CA to TX UPS ground 4days later.

If it was twice as much ($675 was my invoice), I'd have still paid it. Mike Bendinelli has done so many Marks through the years (I'm thinking probably just about everyday) there really is nobody better to send them to. Mitch Faber was pretty good with them when he was there, but he died some years back. I've always known Mesa to be very fair with the repair billing anytime I've ever sent them anything. If it was any cheaper, I'd be wondering. I'm still marveling how long my old Mesa lasted before it needed anything major. I've played the shit out this thing for 30yrs, and only ever changed power tubes 4 times, and a couple of microphonic preamp tubes. I had the original EV re-coned last year.

There are a couple of blow hard know it alls who claim to be Mesa Repair Gods that check in here occasionally. I wouldn't let them work on my toaster.

Although there is one guy that's pretty good with them (fusionbear). He strikes me as a very good dude.

I don't claim to be the amp repair expert myself, and hate working on something as packed as some of these Mesas. And there is no way in hell I'd want to tackle some of the new ones like this JP2C:

YreSSHF.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, these guys that truly know what they're doing and are good with these because they do them most everyday, are worth every penny. Anybody bitching about their labor rates or time they (Mesa) take to do them, just needs to fix it themselves or get another amp. Or get one of the know-it-alls to do it.

At 63, I'm pretty sure I'll die before my MKIV-A needs anything else other than tubes. Everything in mine (I'm original owner.....bought from Kim Davis @ Brook Mays Pro Shop, Dallas, TX in 1992) was original. It had all been cooking 30yrs. I did get the EV re-coned last year. It finally and gradually developed a slight buzz/rattle in the last couple of years.

I don't have enough words for Mesa service on these old Marks. But I do wonder who will take Bendinelli's place when he finally retires. Hopefully, he will continue on his own. He will definitely have no shortage of work!
Yep I've had MKIV's that lasted for years without issue. This is a MKV, the guts look very close the that jp. I'm glad I sent it to Mesa.

Yep I've had MKIV's that lasted for years without issue. This is a MKV, the guts look very close the that jp. I'm glad I sent it to Mesa.
I'm seriously considering cancelling my MKV 90W order from Sweetwater. It's just fucking stupid to cram that much garbage in such a small space.

One big reason why I sent back my JP2C and got my money back. Plus to me, the JP2C didn't sound that good. Nice cleans to my ears, but didn't buy it for the clean sound. Both channels seem almost identical. I could get them to sound almost identical crunchy and/or saturated.

It did not cut through a busy mix that well for me. No amount of asinine, psychotic tube, spkr/cabinet rolling helped. On paper, I really like the concept of the JP2C, and had high hopes for it. But it was not to be for me. I have a friend with 2 MKII C+'s. I can play though them just about anytime I want. To my ears, the the JP2C didn't come close to either one. He warned me after sending back his JP2C shortly after getting it last year. I should have played through his last year when I had the chance to see for myself. But being the hard headed dumb-ass I can be sometimes, I allowed myself to get sucked into the hype and bought one a couple months back. BIG mistake.

I've got the 35W version MKV which is a cute little toy and not insanely expensive. Got it while I wait for the MKV 90W, But so happy with both my MKIV's (A & B), I'm thinking about selling that one. I seldom make bad amp choices, but this year due to my stupidity and slight impatience, I f'd up.

I'm sticking with the older MK's.

Speaking of serious crunch and raw kick ass power.

My MCII KT150 eats my Mesa's for a snack and shits them right out! Plus even I can work on the damned thing, as opposed to fishing the flyshit out of the new Mesa MK's with a god damned microscope!

Safety glasses and ear protection optional.

PzN7Zb6.jpg

lVoecZS.jpg

cuIVcQ4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Brother. How long did it take them? Thx.

YreSSHF.jpg

Mike B is the best in every way ! Peter too . Working with them is worth ever penny .I could agree more . I wish ever amp maker had guys like them

Back