AMAZING new microphone day! Sm57 killer? Quite possibly!

Apples and oranges.
SM57 is a dynamic mic.
Agreed.

If we're comparing condensers, then the wallet opens considerable.

The 57 is as ubiquitous as an non-wound G string at this point. And it's still ~$100. Just like it was in 1994.

Agreed.

If we're comparing condensers, then the wallet opens considerable.

The 57 is as ubiquitous as an non-wound G string at this point. And it's still ~$100. Just like it was in 1994.

Sigh…. I see my point was missed completely here… if you missed it, read my response on the page before.

Sigh…. I see my point was missed completely here… if you missed it, read my response on the page before.

Agreed. I am missing the point completely. Your comments summed up...are dynamics are hit or miss, and condensers are problematic for metal.

And the theme is '57 killer'

Which is quite a bold statement considering every great guitar recording ever has involved a 57 somewhere.

not trying to be a dick, just being a recording nerd and making comments on a forum.

Also, the clips..

Cool playing. But there is a resonance that is at once obnoxious and at the same time compelling and metal. I like it.

Agreed. I am missing the point completely. Your comments summed up...are dynamics are hit or miss, and condensers are problematic for metal.

And the theme is '57 killer'

Which is quite a bold statement considering every great guitar recording ever has involved a 57 somewhere.

not trying to be a dick, just being a recording nerd and making comments on a forum.

If there is anyone on this forum that harps about using nothing more than a 57 always, and that it’s 95 percent of your favorite guitar tones ever, trust me, it’s me haha. I think that’s also why I was making the statement I was. Because whether it be a dynamic, ribbon, condenser or whatever, nothing can beat the 57 to me, regardless of what kind of mic it is…. Until maybe now.

Also, the clips..

Cool playing. But there is a resonance that is at once obnoxious and at the same time compelling and metal. I like it.

Could very well be my closer the cab is in. not sure what freq range you are noticing being resonant more than others, but I’m having an issue with something around 130hz and 240hz always lately more than I ever have. The closet is covered in roxul/rockwool but it’s still problematic I’m noticing.

if you could do a comparison with the unidyne that would be fucking tits

Here ya go homie.

Signal chain:

Jackson USA SL2 EMG 57/66 set
Peppers dirty tree
Morin modded Marshall
Engl 4x12 Chinese 8 ohm V30
OC18/Unidyne SM57
BAE 1073 preamps
Apogee conversion

I level matched decently well as to not deceive your ears, so take that into consideration. The OX18/57 mix is 50/50, something I probably wouldn’t do but it sounded pretty great here I thought. Everything is “decently” in phase as well. I didn’t loose any upper mid grind and attack when combining the 2 mics, so I’ll take that as a win for me and amateurs everywhere haha :D

I also did have the 40hz pad on the OC18, something I usually wouldn’t do and go back and forth on it,but this was my first time trying it. It’s a gentle 12db per Octive slope, so I figured what the hell. Mic was dead center on the cap for the OC18.

The only EQ was a high and low pass and a 1Q 1DB cut at 500hz just for some clarity. There is ALOT Of midrange in this setup, and my Marshall only had the mids on 2.

57 only:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/PfKgVMicaxSFJHvq9

OC18 only:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/R5XsrHeNtZsULGQX6

Sm57/OC18 mix:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/d4yHgA38YTmbrCeU9

Last edited:
yeah combined sounds great, the OC on its own is a little low middy but that compliments the 57 crispiness very nicely. im going to have to try mixing a 57 with one of my condensers now. im wondering about these guys dynamics as well

yeah combined sounds great, the OC on its own is a little low middy but that compliments the 57 crispiness very nicely. im going to have to try mixing a 57 with one of my condensers now. im wondering about these guys dynamics as well

Yea it’s alittle muddy in that solo clip, could be just the settings who knows! It sounds killer on its own, just may not have been awesome with this setup. That second combined clip I just posted is one of my favorite tones I’ve ever gotten quite honestly I think.

@RaceU4her here is a mix of the two I like a lot better. Sorry about the 60 cycle hum, I’ve got a ground loop somewhere out of nowhere, lovely.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/XRUTGYefBwM69F6s5

yeah this sounds great, that Morin is special. im surprised his stuff isnt discussed more. theres a bandmaster he modded on reverb right now that sounds like it could have potential. maybe ill send him a lowball offer

yeah this sounds great, that Morin is special. im surprised his stuff isnt discussed more. theres a bandmaster he modded on reverb right now that sounds like it could have potential. maybe ill send him a lowball offer

No one knows who he is! Seriously, unless you were in the LA scene or are realllyyy into amps or know how to find out info, its near impossible. The guy has more credits than anyone though, I’d bet money on it. Unfortunately during the 90s and 2000s bands and studios were VERY hush hush on what was used, and were terrible at giving credits on what was used etc. but his amps were used on sooooo many records, and they are just never sold, sitting in LA studios to this day.

Last edited:
I've totally considered doing the same thing 🤣🤣👌

I’ve been watching it. The clips sounded like garbage, but maybe it’s sick? I don’t know, hard to say. I played a cameron modded fender once upon a time that was absolutely terrible , so I’m guessing it’s something with the fender design and those mods, who knows.

To be fair brother, in order for it to be an SM57 killer as per the thread title, it'd have to be a dynamic, not a condenser mic, and would have to be 8 times cheaper.

Been looking at this mic as well. Seems to capture the sound more in a way that you'd hear the amp in a room. Made even Ola sound good for a change.

The thing is tho.. How would that sound sit in a mix? Imo 57 can be a bit overkill as we're not working with tape anymore.

Been looking at this mic as well. Seems to capture the sound more in a way that you'd hear the amp in a room. Made even Ola sound good for a change.

The thing is tho.. How would that sound sit in a mix? Imo 57 can be a bit overkill as we're not working with tape anymore.

It’s definitely a “more what you would hear in the room mic”, I agree. It’s just much more transparent, very flat, but still brighter than any condenser I’ve heard in a sense that it isn’t soft on the front end, and has the lock attack and punch with the dynamics I want that is like a 57.

Not sure what you mean about the tape comment though ?

Back