Marshall 1959 SLP & HW slant 4x12 price check

CarlF

A local store just got this in. They want $3500 for both. $2200 for the head, $1300 for the cab. Seems a bit high to me. What do you think?

thumbnail.jpg

Used or new? Is the head handwired or PCB? If HW, that price is not too out of line. The cab is overpriced if used. I paid $400 for mine on the local CL, but I know that was a total steal.

the price for the head is a good one if it is unmolested and sounds good

cab prices are weird - but that's probably in line in that they'll wait for a collector to come along and sell ~ $900

Used or new? Is the head handwired or PCB? If HW, that price is not too out of line. The cab is overpriced if used. I paid $400 for mine on the local CL, but I know that was a total steal.
It's used in ex cond. The head is NOT the HW one.
$3500 plus tax. My first thought is f%ck that

Those 100 series cabinets are expensive and loaded with G12H30s normally. New they are $1400 each. The cab is a fair deal at 900.

The head depends on the year. I also would request they open it up and look inside to see the condition and what’s been done to it, no way I’d buy a stock vintage Marshall not knowing what it looks like inside unless your intentions are to mod the hell out of it and not preserve it.

You will blow those speakers if you run that head at full tilt for a lot of hours. Ask me how I know. Those heads are meant to be run with two of those cabs, not one.

Problem is, everything is jacked right now so they are pricing it in line with the market. Sucks but it is what it is. I have seen the occasional 1987/59 reissue at around 2K in the GC used section, so if you stalk it like I do you will find a deal if you are persistent/patient. But pull the trigger if you see one; don’t call and ask questions because the flippers are buying them fast to put on Reverb for stupid prices.

I did my own 1959 clone build. Took about $1300, but it has Merren iron and the tone of the gods. The way stock Marshalls are priced in the US (way cheaper in Europe), if you can find the transformers, it's better to build a clone now.

For a few hundred more you could buy that Metropolous DVL-1 in the classifieds.... you get 65/66/68 and 68 modded tones all on a footswitch with a loop as well.

Didn't the Metroplex have a footswitchable loop?? Looks like the DV-1 does not.

Did I mention the DVL-1 has an awesome Master Volume by all accounts of the owners....

Last edited:
Those 100 series cabinets are expensive and loaded with G12H30s normally. New they are $1400 each. The cab is a fair deal at 900.

The head depends on the year. I also would request they open it up and look inside to see the condition and what’s been done to it, no way I’d buy a stock vintage Marshall not knowing what it looks like inside unless your intentions are to mod the hell out of it and not preserve it.
I have the B Cab version of that. Mine is a 1960BHW. It's got the Heritage G12H30's.

Back