best solid state amp?

I use a Quilter OD200 on tour and its a beast in a tiny package. It won't replace a tube amp for recording but Im much happier carrying it and a class D bass amp than tube versions of each.
Our bass player recently got a new Ashdown that has tube pre and class d power. weighs like 6 lbs, sounds FANTASTIC, and doesn't weigh as much as a bus lol. To think we used to carry an SVT classic....

The Orange Crush stuff sounds pretty good for a straight forward amp.
Ty Tabor was using the Orange Crush S/S 120 a few years back. I almost bought one but then a I found my 88 Randall RG100 which stopped gas for another solid state amp. I do miss my old Marshall Mosfet 5275 it was killer amp for S/S.

I always wanted to try the Vanous Evolution amplifier though................

I have the Katana MK2 head. Absolutely love it. I have been using it for rehearsals through a Bogner cube and a small pedalboard and it sounds amazing! Very happy with it. Would not have an issue to gig with this amp at all. I use the GAFC footswitch and a few pedals on my board. I run it direct to FOH via the stereo expand out and use an TC IR pedal to run to the board.

Ty Tabor was using the Orange Crush S/S 120 a few years back. I almost bought one but then a I found my 88 Randall RG100 which stopped gas for another solid state amp. I do miss my old Marshall Mosfet 5275 it was killer amp for S/S.

I always wanted to try the Vanous Evolution amplifier though................

Always wanted to try a Vanous Evolution amplifier too!
Anyone here ever try or own one?

another thr10ii, orange Crush vote.. i have the 35r, just add a switching speaker out and you're in business

Need opinions/advice. Tired of playing thru pc amp sims thru headphones. Strictly home use
I am current looking at
- Boss Katana -https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-50_mk2/
- Line 6 Catalyst - https://shop.line6.com/catalyst-60.html

any others? looking mainly non tube options.
Go with the Katana Head (100w) and 2x12 cab. It is that much better.

The options listed by the others are interesting as well.
Good luck!

I really like blackstar core series more than katana.

I also really like the veta II HD. I know it’s old but it sounds great.

Peavey Bandit
Vh140C
Orange Super Crush - this thing sounds like a Rockerverb, no joke. I love it for doom and metal

Standout contender is the Randall RH100, my boy and me stack this regularly against my Herbert and his Rockerverb MK1 and it holds up every time. It’s NASTY.

He snagged the last one we got for $80 shipped from GC about two years ago.

Peavey Bandit
Vh140C
Orange Super Crush - this thing sounds like a Rockerverb, no joke. I love it for doom and metal

Standout contender is the Randall RH100, my boy and me stack this regularly against my Herbert and his Rockerverb MK1 and it holds up every time. It’s NASTY.

He snagged the last one we got for $80 shipped from GC about two years ago.
Doesnt @psychodave rock a RH100 at the moment too?

Our bass player recently got a new Ashdown that has tube pre and class d power. weighs like 6 lbs, sounds FANTASTIC, and doesn't weigh as much as a bus lol. To think we used to carry an SVT classic....

I used to do a Mesa 400+ in a rack and either a 5150 III 50 watter or a Splawn Nitro SS. Now both my heads fit in one little carrying bag.

Had a Katana; imo the vintage Randall stuff blows it away. At GC used there’s a few for sale, from RG80s to RG 50 combos from 229 on up.
Boost em for heavy shit. Dimebag wasn’t wrong.
Yes I agree. I've owned many Randall rg100es, rg100ht and rg80es heads and they are WAY better sounding than the Katana for high gain, and I have a Katana. The only thing with the Randall's is you gotta throw a tubescreamer or SD-1 up front to boost and tighten them up a bit, then they sound golden. Punishing palm mutes can be had with those amps, and they're plenty loud to play with a band/drummer. The 1980's Randall RG's are the pinnacle of solid state tone IMO.

Then you got the Ampeg VH and SS series, which are also good, but more geared towards a colder, more clinical death metal style tone, at least the VH series. The SS heads that came before were used by a lot of doom/sludge bands in the 90's, like Eyehategod (also rg100es heads).

PM me if you want any more info on those old Randall's, or settings and stuff. I know those amps inside and out. They were a big part of my tone for many years.

Last edited:
Back