Splawn Competition

I have been interested in picking up a newer Splawn Competition. I have a Ceriatone Molecular and I am wondering if there would be a lot of overlap between the two amps? I have read alot of threads that Splawns are tight and some consider stiff and less forgiving. My other amp is an EVH 5150 III combo so just trying to figure out if the Splawn might be overkill as I am not intending to replace either amp it’s just trying to justify the addition.
Splawn will be a nice addition and amp to pair with the EVH, IMO. The Molecular is more of a cross between a Friedman and Splawn style circuit. Definitely more refined than the splawn, easier to play, less stiff, more fluid, but retains some Marshall "rawness"

I personally love the Molecular, but if forced to choose, always gonna be the Comp for me

Sorry, I think Napalm answered this in an earlier post but what about a newer Quick Rod (2017) fully loaded with the B+ switch vs the Competition? About the same as far as the gain channel?
They will be very close and the differences are usually overblown, because internet.

The Comp DOES have the B+ voltage drop built into the power section so it will feel a tad softer, which is welcome to some as Splawn QR circuits are insanely unforgiving.

I loved my Competition , the one amp I wish I wouldn't have sold . I think Napalmdeath here ended up with for a while

They will be very close and the differences are usually overblown, because internet.

The Comp DOES have the B+ voltage drop built into the power section so it will feel a tad softer, which is welcome to some as Splawn QR circuits are insanely unforgiving.
This. My 2014 100w Pro Stock came as a B+. I have a 2015/16 Fully Loaded Comp & and it noticably more forgiving than the 100w in B+.

I was coming from Friedman amps, back to Splawn, and was worried the Splawn would be a little too tight compared to the Friedman. The Comp was the perfect blend of tight + sag/saturation/feel.

Said it before, and I'll say it again - the Comp I had (50 watt) was probably the best "Marshall-y" amps I ever owned. It was a pure joy to play! Just the right amount of sag so that I didn't fight with it, but still maintained good clarity. If I was using tube amps, that and my Mesa MKIV would really be all I need.

This. My 2014 100w Pro Stock came as a B+. I have a 2015/16 Fully Loaded Comp & and it noticably more forgiving than the 100w in B+.

I was coming from Friedman amps, back to Splawn, and was worried the Splawn would be a little too tight compared to the Friedman. The Comp was the perfect blend of tight + sag/saturation/feel.
Thanks everyone for the replies and great detailed information. I have spent some time with a fully loaded Quick Rod 100 recently and I am very impressed and surprised by a few things. I really like Gears 1&2 in OD1. I thought I would immediately go right for OD2 and right to 3rd gear and stay there. The mid switch is cool but I don’t necessarily need it. Also, the old switch definitely a different flavor as well, sounds great but again don’t think I need it. Lastly, I didn’t find the amp as stiff as I was expecting and I am not that good of a player. I do notice a slight difference in feel but not drastic in the drop B + mode. I read that how you set the clean channel can effect how the overdrive channel sounds on the Quick Rod? I don’t use the clean channel so any recommendations on how to set the EQ if that is true?

Again, none of these fully loaded options are negative but I think this should give me a very close representation of what to expect from a competition?

I have searched but couldn’t find a definitive answer, what year is the start of the latest circuit revisions for the Quick Rod and I assume the Competition would be on the same timeline? The amp I have played/referenced is a 2017 fully loaded Quick Rod 100

2017 sounds about right. Yes same for Comp. Glad you liked it. There is more detail on the splawn proboards dot com

JYDs Splawn is fantastic. I'd have no problem rocking one of those, and in fact have kept my eye out for one after playing his.

Sent u a question about the Eclipse does it have a foot switch?

Said it before, and I'll say it again - the Comp I had (50 watt) was probably the best "Marshall-y" amps I ever owned. It was a pure joy to play! Just the right amount of sag so that I didn't fight with it, but still maintained good clarity. If I was using tube amps, that and my Mesa MKIV would really be all I need.
I've been rocking my 50 Watt Super Sport and my Mark IV and between the 2 I think I've got anything I need covered

Back