Splawn Competition

Detroit ABA

I have been interested in picking up a newer Splawn Competition. I have a Ceriatone Molecular and I am wondering if there would be a lot of overlap between the two amps? I have read alot of threads that Splawns are tight and some consider stiff and less forgiving. My other amp is an EVH 5150 III combo so just trying to figure out if the Splawn might be overkill as I am not intending to replace either amp it’s just trying to justify the addition.

I have been interested in picking up a newer Splawn Competition. I have a Ceriatone Molecular and I am wondering if there would be a lot of overlap between the two amps? I have read alot of threads that Splawns are tight and some consider stiff and less forgiving. My other amp is an EVH 5150 III combo so just trying to figure out if the Splawn might be overkill as I am not intending to replace either amp it’s just trying to justify the addition.
It'll smoke the EVH, hands down.

The Splawn Competition is an awesome amp that is voiced differently than both the amps you own. It is only slightly tighter than the Molecular. It's a killer, killer amp. I love mine. I use it in addition to my 2204 kitchen sink build and my PT15IR.

The Splawn Competition is an awesome amp that is voiced differently than both the amps you own. It is only slightly tighter than the Molecular. It's a killer, killer amp. I love mine. I use it in addition to my 2204 kitchen sink build and my PT15IR.

God killer playing man I always love your vids :rock:

This is why I don’t mind phone vids or simple ‘in the room’ recordings with something like a Zoom. No post production to trick your ears into hearing something that isn’t there. With a really good player, clean chops, and someone who knows how to get the most out of the amp - BAM! Great video and great representation of what the Competition / QR circuit is capable of.

I've had a ceriatone molecular and a splawn Nitro and Quick Rod. I would totally own both. Yeah they are both hot rodded Marshall's but the comparison ends there. I personally would love to have both

I've had a ceriatone molecular and a splawn Nitro and Quick Rod. I would totally own both. Yeah they are both hot rodded Marshall's but the comparison ends there. I personally would love to have both
Thanks for that perspective from someone who has owned both, now I just have to find one. I think I am indifferent on the mid cut & old/new switch. I read that Scott doesn’t do updates on used amps anymore?

Thanks for that perspective from someone who has owned both, now I just have to find one. I think I am indifferent on the mid cut & old/new switch. I read that Scott doesn’t do updates on used amps anymore?
I'm not sure. I do know that he wouldn't do the updates on mine due to them having older heybooer transformers.

Gat dang, you’re a monster player! That sounds absolutely killer.

I haven’t been able to find a Competition yet but I did come across a Nitro with EL34s. Would that amp get close or is it a completely different thing altogether?

I haven’t been able to find a Competition yet but I did come across a Nitro with EL34s. Would that amp get close or is it a completely different thing altogether?
Completely different. Stick to your gut for the competition - I think they’re more aggressive than a Nitro IMO.

Cool, thanks for the insight, I will hold out for a Competition
Sorry, I think Napalm answered this in an earlier post but what about a newer Quick Rod (2017) fully loaded with the B+ switch vs the Competition? About the same as far as the gain channel?

Last edited:
Had a competition. Thought it was very stiff and not very versatile. They sound a LOT like a Marshall DSL with a few tweaks. Mine was quickly replaced by a Chupacabra.

Had a competition. Thought it was very stiff and not very versatile. They sound a LOT like a Marshall DSL with a few tweaks. Mine was quickly replaced by a Chupacabra.
There must be a big difference from amp to amp then because FusionBear's and Bad.Seed's Comp clips were insanely good. :yes:

Back