What DAW do you use?

I've been using Reaper for years. I had zero experience before I tried it. I find that it's easy to get answers for any questions or issues that I run into. I did eventually pay the $60. I used it for a long time before that though.
So is the $60 like an honor system or is there actually some difference in the test vs. the $60.

So is the $60 like an honor system or is there actually some difference in the test vs. the $60.
There's a nag screen when you haven't purchased a license. I got tired of seeing it and waiting for it to load past it. The actual software functionality is 100% either way.

Logic and pro tools are the easiest. I am about to give Luna and it’s neve summing a shot. I’ve heard some stuff recorded on Luna via the ox box and it sounded really, really good.

I actually use 3, but mostly just two. A lot of people gravitate towards reaper because it’s “free”, but I will say if you have never used a daw before I don’t find it very intuitive. It’s extremely customizable and can be set up anyway you’d like, but still. If you want to get up and running its ok, but once you get a grasp of things it seems to work well.

I use logic the most these days, which isn’t an option for you unfortunately. Logic is fantastic for songwriting. You’re probably thinking well how so, they all do the same thing right? Yes, but logics workflow, amount of sounds/loops/instruments etc, make it really easy to get ideas off the ground fast. I also think it’s extremely intuitive when it comes to its I/o setup, and how you route things, incredibly easy.

Pro tools, is the industry standard, no matter what anyone says otherwise. Why it is, is too long to list. But it is, and for good reason. Pro tools is absolutely fantastic for tracking instruments, and editing. It’s workflow for editing is probably the best around. It’s automation is STUPID easy, and it’s just again, very intuitive. It just makes sense in a lot of peoples brains how it’s setup. The midi is absolutely terrible however, no one is gonna argue that. If you have any console experience which I know not many of us do, you’ll find that’s it’s routing is setup literally just like a console. How you buss things, route audio, set up tracks etc.
Is mixcraft any good??

That's why I hate Apple. I have heard garageband would be the best (free, easy, enough for me with just dabbling at home), but I don't have a Mac.

In fact I am told I am the only person of my socioeconomic background that doesn't have an iPhone. I have an Andriod because I hate how Apple does business. I have to buy your hardware to use your software. I mean I can use Google or Microsoft word on any platform. But if I want to play iTunes I need your device.

I wish they'd just sell garageband for windows.
🤷‍♂️

I was an "avid" user of Pro Tools (lame pun intended) until they continuously started fucking over the home producer market and catered to the professional studios only feature to price ratio wise. Pro Tools is dying and I love it. More and more professional studios are migrating to Logic Pro which I'm all for.

For me;

1. Logic Pro X
2. Ableton Live 11
3. Presonus Studio One 5

I know my way around Cakewalk/Bandlab and Cubase pretty well too but to get any sort of serious work from artists, you only need the top 3 I mentioned.

TL;DR....Pro Tools is dying. No need for it anymore really. FIGHT....ME...

I also use ( and fear) the Reaper. Has a crap ton of features but the ones I like best are the simple layout, it is fast loading, doesn't seem to crash as much on me and I use it like a tape recorder to just push tracks out to my console. Try to stay as old school as possible and most clearly laid out DAW should work fine. If you start editing down to the note and fading stuff in/out and cutting things up, it can all get away from you fast. Try to limit editing and snapping to grid and go old school. Imagine all edits are a splice!

I also use ( and fear) the Reaper. Has a crap ton of features but the ones I like best are the simple layout, it is fast loading, doesn't seem to crash as much on me and I use it like a tape recorder to just push tracks out to my console. Try to stay as old school as possible and most clearly laid out DAW should work fine. If you start editing down to the note and fading stuff in/out and cutting things up, it can all get away from you fast. Try to limit editing and snapping to grid and go old school. Imagine all edits are a splice!
Watched a video on Reaper vs Pro Tools that mentioned the load and crash times and how Reaper has been fully rebuilt vs. Pro Tools having ancient code in there. Plus it takes up 15GBs vs less than 1G for Reaper.

I am not a big fan of paying for something in perpetuity (monthly fees for Pro Tools).

Sounds like everyone's use is all over the board, but the plurality (not majority) seems to be Reaper, even if Pro Tools is the standard for Pros (at least currently)

I guess I'll download Reaper, give it a try. If I like it better than Cakewalk great, at least I have a local friend that also uses it.

Appreciate the input everyone

I use Logic Pro X, Pro Tools and Cubase Elements/AI. Why use 3? Because Cubase has the best drum midi programming and is probably my favorite go-to DAW for quick recording. Logic is similar, except it has better synths but worse midi editor.

Nothing comes close to mixing audio in Pro Tools.

Back