charvel documentary, seen it?

I enjoyed hearing the employees and artists talk about their experiences....I remember getting out of the army in the late 80s and bought my first Charvel...a new black cherry Model 6. I thought I had arrived! :ROFLMAO:

I don't think I ever saw a real deal USA Charvel or Jackson in person...not till the 90s sometime when no one really wanted pointy guitars anymore. I wish I would have at least tried one...would have been hooked.
There was a local lead player in the 80’s that was part of a great hard rock band here in Ca.
This guy was a really good player and was sporting a robin egg blue San Dimas with 2 crème humbuckers and brass vintage trem. I’ve never seen another one EXACTLY like it. Close, but not exactly. I’ve lusted after this guitar ever since.

There was a local lead player in the 80’s that was part of a great hard rock band here in Ca.
This guy was a really good player and was sporting a robin egg blue San Dimas with 2 crème humbuckers and brass vintage trem. I’ve never seen another one EXACTLY like it. Close, but not exactly. I’ve lusted after this guitar ever since.
I swear I've seen a custom shop version of that guitar for sale a few years ago...but not the real deal vintage version. That color or a seasick version with the same appointments are what I would order from Chubtone if/when I do place one. Or if I could find a Charvel; of course.

I like this kind of stuff. There is always something in there for my inner nerd. I was in Ed Roman’s store in Las Vegas many years ago, and Ed and I were making small talk (never did business with him, but always enjoyed chatting with him). A guy walked up to us and told Ed that he was leaving. We weren’t talking about Jacksons or Randy Rhoads, But Ed said “this is Tim, he built Randy Rhoads’ guitar.” I am a huge Randy fan thought it was cool to randomly meet Tim Wilson.

Man. Tough crowd. I didn’t know we were critiquing the production value?
There aren’t many docs out there that actually focus on things like this. I don’t think this was made to compete with Top Gun for an Academy Award. 🤪🤪
I think the reason so many of us are knocking it is because there are so many great stories, and even lessons about the company, to be told here.... and this barely did any of that. To make matters worse, they had an amateur put it together who failed to realize how irrelevant it is to waste such a large % of it on poor jam clips, redundant non-stories, and guys all recounting the same "I first heard of Charvel in the 80s when Eddie....".
If Wayne, Grover, Jake and so many other key characters to the story weren't available, more info about the guitar industry at that time and how Charvel differed from the previous mainstream would've been great. Such potential with such a weak result forces many of us into wanting to complain about it in a community that understands.

What band was it?

How’d they get into the channel’s dominated by Gibson and Fender? There HAD to be some sharp elbows involved. Wayne was interviewed - but man what a sad tale. Who did what? Who made the slightly distinctive patterns/jigs? So much to say so little.

How’d they get into the channel’s dominated by Gibson and Fender? There HAD to be some sharp elbows involved. Wayne was interviewed - but man what a sad tale. Who did what? Who made the slightly distinctive patterns/jigs? So much to say so little.
Exactly. This video ended up having nothing to do with the actual nuts and bolts history and everything to do with “I first saw Charvels when...” and some half assed interviews with former employees. Mike Shannon could’ve done the entire thing and we would’ve learned more.

What band was it?
This was in the Central Valley Curt, but interesting lineage regarding the band.
They were first called “Red Alert” and the player was a guy named Jamie Menson.
That band morphed into “Villain” which featured Carl Albert pre-Vicious Rumors”.
Many players went in and out of these bands, but most of the guys were the best musicians we had in our area.

This was in the Central Valley Curt, but interesting lineage regarding the band.
That band morphed into “Villain” which featured Carl Albert pre-Vicious Rumors”.
Many players went in and out of these bands, but most of the guys were the best musicians we had in our area.

Gotcha. I was down in Orange County back then and was in Hollywood constantly so I thought it might have been someone I knew or had seen but couldn't place the guy by the description of the guitar. And that is how I remembered most guys, by what guitar they played, especially if it was a Charvel or Jackson or some kind of mutt superstrat.

Strangely a Carl Albert era Vicious Rumors song Don't Wait For Me popped up on my Facebook the other day so I listened to it, not remembering how great a singer Carl Albert was.

Gotcha. I was down in Orange County back then and was in Hollywood constantly so I thought it might have been someone I knew or had seen but couldn't place the guy by the description of the guitar. And that is how I remembered most guys, by what guitar they played, especially if it was a Charvel or Jackson or some kind of mutt superstrat.

Strangely a Carl Albert era Vicious Rumors song Don't Wait For Me popped up on my Facebook the other day so I listened to it, not remembering how great a singer Carl Albert was.
Carl was SO good. My old band opened for VR and Villain a handful of times and I never heard him hit a bad note. Kind of like early Dio, just effortless singing.
Give this Villain EP a spin when your in the mood. Some great tunes on this.

Last edited:
i had a marshall 4x12 with the Villain logo spray painted on the back, a long time ago. must have been from their backline.
never bothered to look up that band, but now i know who they are.
as far as punky meadows... you are seeing the permanent effects of long term cocaine use in play. Believe me, crack makes people much more entertaining than this guy was.
:D

I stumbled on it and watched a few days ago. I thought it was great, but I’m obsessed with vintage Charvels.

This Kramer video was good too. Love early Kramers.

Some drama around the YouTuber that is in this. Apparently Kramer sent some demo guitars to him for his channel after all this and he refused to send them back.

Some drama around the YouTuber that is in this. Apparently Kramer sent some demo guitars to him for his channel after all this and he refused to send them back.
Really? Well that’s a dick move if true. Guy seemed like a straight shooter in that video, but I guess you never know.

i had a marshall 4x12 with the Villain logo spray painted on the back, a long time ago. must have been from their backline.
never bothered to look up that band, but now i know who they are.
as far as punky meadows... you are seeing the permanent effects of long term cocaine use in play. Believe me, crack makes people much more entertaining than this guy was.
:D
That’s cool you had the 4x12! Are you in Ca Jim?

Making interesting documentaries (or narrative work) is hard. Everyone thinks they can do it. It is very difficult to be a creative type always having to ask the question "why is this in here?" "How does this move the story forward?" "What in this shot is distracting from the main narrative?"

Many think "oh, that would look cool!" *Cool* without a purpose is distracting at best, often seen as kitsch, and cringe at worst.

To be fair, he does self proclaim to be ‘King of Docs’, so objective critique seems fair lol

That’s cool you had the 4x12! Are you in Ca Jim?
no, but it was shipped from so-cal. i found an old pic... i flipped the back so the jack was on top, and i guess i sharpied all over the back like that for some reason. this was ages ago, back when you could still get beat up 1960a cabs for 250-300 ish all day, so i probably didn't think much of writting all over it.
Picture 012.jpg

Last edited:
Back