This sounds pretty good! Marshall vintage 20 Van Halen and Hendrix tones

gbsmusic

Anybody have one of these heads and messed with an EQ like this it really sounds incredible! He comes pretty close to the Van Halen tone and the Hendrix stuff sounds great too. Just curious if anybody has actually tried this here? I don't know why the video is starting halfway through it go back to the beginning and enjoy!

Last edited:
Saw this the other day. Sounds great. But 20w is still loud as hell so I imagine most people will still put it through a load and IR's. If you don't have a plexi and want one, these amps are probably a good pickup. With miniscule tweaks to the circuit, I got my 800 to sound like this and run it up high on the MV using the preamp more like a channel 2. An 800 will respond similarly and people forget that. Not quite as chewy but still there. Ultimately the guy playing it makes the biggest difference. Echoplex Pre and/or a slight eq push never hurt either. I agree with him though, no need to go spend 5k on an amp anymore. Marshall has been smart to reissue these lower wattage classics.

Saw this the other day. Sounds great. But 20w is still loud as hell so I imagine most people will still put it through a load and IR's. If you don't have a plexi and want one, these amps are probably a good pickup. With miniscule tweaks to the circuit, I got my 800 to sound like this and run it up high on the MV using the preamp more like a channel 2. An 800 will respond similarly and people forget that. Not quite as chewy but still there. Ultimately the guy playing it makes the biggest difference. Echoplex Pre and/or a slight eq push never hurt either. I agree with him though, no need to go spend 5k on an amp anymore. Marshall has been smart to reissue these lower wattage classics.
What about the Jubilee it's a two channel I have no experience with any of these will the Jubilee pull off a good clean and then get the goods with the gain up?

I had an SV20, and couldn't return it fast enough. Not sure what all he's doing, but mine was tubby, woofy, and wouldn't get anywhere near those VH tones with a boost, attenuator, and other pedals.

What about the Jubilee it's a two channel I have no experience with any of these will the Jubilee pull off a good clean and then get the goods with the gain up?
It's the best of the Marshall mini amps, IMO. I have had a couple, and they sound killer.

Last edited:
I had an SV20, and couldn't return it fast enough. Not sure what all he's doing, but mine was tubby, woofy, and wouldn't get anywhere near those VH tones with a boost, attenuator, and other pedals.
How were you setting it? Sounds to me like this amp sounds best probably everything at 7 sort of deal with hardly any channel 2 added in.

Sounds cool. Notice the harmonics dont fly out of the amp though....even with using an EQ pedal out front. Seems like its really hard to play? I'd like to try one though....

So I skipped through the video a bit. He much be using an attenuator?

Last edited:
I`m wondering the same thing . I watched a few times to see if I'm missing anything. He`s got the eq , channels jumped , he's got the bass jacked up high but it sounds pretty tight and I'm assuming he's in 20 watt mode . Here's his settings , something tells me if I bought one and set it up like his I wouldn't get that tone lol guess there would only be one way to find out

8Wx45Smh.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody have one of these heads and messed with an EQ like this it really sounds incredible! He comes pretty close to the Van Halen tone and the Hendrix stuff sounds great too. Just curious if anybody has actually tried this here? I don't know why the video is starting halfway through it go back to the beginning and enjoy!

Yeah I saw this on vacation last month and couldn't wait to get home to try mine out like he has his. He is definitely running into an Ox Box BTW, and undoubtedly using the VH standard setting ('You Really Got Reverb' I believe it's called).

So at any rate, using the same guitar, amp, eq pedal, and Ox Box setting, it really does sound very good. My Boss isn't modded like his, but still I couldn't believe how much a difference it made. And for the life of me, like some of the other posters before I saw this I couldn't get the SVH20 to sound good at all...I even tried the Hot Mod V2 and it still didn't gel. The thing about that amp is that while it really sounds like a real plexi, the controls don't respond the same -- they are far more responsive than the real thing. So I kept trying the 'everything on 10' and all and it just sounded terrible.

Yeah I saw this on vacation last month and couldn't wait to get home to try mine out like he has his. He is definitely running into an Ox Box BTW, and undoubtedly using the VH standard setting ('You Really Got Reverb' I believe it's called).

So at any rate, using the same guitar, amp, eq pedal, and Ox Box setting, it really does sound very good. My Boss isn't modded like his, but still I couldn't believe how much a difference it made. And for the life of me, like some of the other posters before I saw this I couldn't get the SVH20 to sound good at all...I even tried the Hot Mod V2 and it still didn't gel. The thing about that amp is that while it really sounds like a real plexi, the controls don't respond the same -- they are far more responsive than the real thing. So I kept trying the 'everything on 10' and all and it just sounded terrible.
It definitely wasn't my thing.. He's got a lot going on to get those tones. I've been wanting to try the SC20H with a Hot Mod. It certainly sounds good in the Runt.

I`m womdering the same thing . I watched a few times to see if I'm missing anything .He`s got the eq , channels jumped , he's got the bass jacked up high but it sounds pretty tight and I'm assuming he's in 20 watt mode . Here's his settings , something tells me if I bought one and set it up like his I wouldn't get that tone lol guess there would only be one way to find out

8Wx45Smh.jpg
A lot of YouTube guys never mention what they do in post. They could be eq’ing the shit out of it.

He says there‘s some EQing in post. Not sure why if you’re trying to give a true representation of how it sounds

I was going to come back and add this comment, he does mention that he is adding some sauce at the end post EQ wise and that will tighten it for sure. But the other poignant observation already made, is the fact that everything on 10 likely doesn't work with this thing. I find the same thing with JCM800's. People dime everything and they sound like ass. You need to dial them in and back off VOL/Gain to tighten them.

Sounds good but as soon as he started talking I turned it off due to all the "Likes". Like this. Like that. I like, did this. I like, did that. UUUuugh!

very good guitarist though :yes:

Last edited:
This guy is connected to every heavy hitter in Nashville. He loves EVH and Hendrix and seems cool as hell.

Back