Going to buy either the Fractal FM3 or the Helix

WhiteShadow

What I’m hearing is essentially that the FM3 sounds better, but is a nightmare to use. Helix doesn’t quite sound as good but is super user friendly.

Overall, which one would you choose if you had to go with one?

Price is not the big issue with me. If I go Fractal I’ll most likely get the FM3/FC-6/Expression Pedal setup.

Do you think the increased sound quality of the FM3 justifies its cruder interface? I’m leaning towards the FM3 because I kind of am an “audiophile”. I just don’t want to get it and think “damn I should’ve just got the Helix”.

One thing I need to clarify on the FM3 - is *IS* the Axe FX right? I mean in terms of its software, interface, amps, presets, etc…? It’s not it’s own thing right? It’s the Axe FX in pedal form?

Thanks.

What I’m hearing is essentially that the FM3 sounds better, but is a nightmare to use. Helix doesn’t quite sound as good but is super user friendly.

Price is not the big issue with me. If I go Fractal I’ll most likely get the FM3/FC-6/Expression Pedal setup.

Do you think the increased sound quality of the FM3 justifies its cruder interface? I’m leaning towards the FM3 because I kind of am an “audiophile”. I just don’t want to get it and think “damn I should’ve just got the Helix”.

One thing I need to clarify on the FM3 - is *IS* the Axe FX right? I mean in terms of its software, interface, amps, presets, etc…? It’s not it’s own thing right? It’s the Axe FX in pedal form?

Thanks.
I haven't tried the Fractal stuff but I really like the Line 6 stuff. I've owned 2 hx stomps, Kemper, and a Quad Cortex. The QC is probably my favorite. It's easy to use and sounds damn great. The HX stomp did everything I needed as well but it does take more effort to get a good sound.

Thanks.
I personally would prefer spending more time getting a tone I love than quickly getting a tone that’s mediocre.

I also hope I’d spend more time playing than tweaking. I’d grab whichever sounds better and suffering temporarily.

I would say it depends on the intended purpose do you want to use the amp models or are you trying to integrate it into your current set up

If you are mostly interested in 4CM with your rig I would say Helix hands down , better UI
Way better noise floor in 4 cm
And can switch amp channels

If you just want it jamming at home through monitors I think the Fractal amp models sound and feel better to me

FM3 is the least powerful unit among the current fractal offerings. This is not to say it is bad, but by itself is limited in terms of horsepower and switching when compared to the FM9 and Axe3. Certainly the Helix will provide more switching but it is more comparable to the FM9, in which case IMO the Fractal is far superior.

At this post all these high end modelers are great so it just depends on which one makes sense for your use. The output flexibility can be a HUGE deciding factor as well. The FM9 has 1/4” and xlr outs AND output controls for 3 or 4 outs which really is a big deal. Axe3 even more.

When someone talks about “power”, like the FM3 being the least powerful of the fractal range, what exactly does that amount to? Does it sound worse? What does less power equate to?

When someone talks about “power”, like the FM3 being the least powerful of the fractal range, what exactly does that amount to? Does it sound worse? What does less power equate to?

What you sacrifice is basically capacity/power - so, you potentially can’t run as many or as complicated a chain of amps/effects as the ‘bigger’ models…but whatever you are able to run, within the processing power constraints of the unit you are using, is the same across the units.

I have an FM-3 and an HX Stomp. I wouldn’t really say the modelling is superior on the FM-3, they’re both very accurate. It’s neck and neck really, the determining factor is how well you dial it in.

Fractal has a lot more amplifiers to choose from, and you can dive deeper into the parameters. Also the stock cabs are arguably better, whearas with Helix you’ll want to use external IR’s. I use my own IR’s anyway so that one makes no difference to me…..

I would say, HX Stomp has better software, a better interface, better MIDI functionality, ability to buy a plugin version (that translates 1:1) that are big advantages. They both have great choices of FX, i’m not sure I prefer one over another. It annoys me on the FM3 that different amp modes are set as totally different models. So if you switch between BE and HBE on a Friedman, all your parameters get reset. I love having the deeper editing options but it’s kind of like it’s a blessing and a curse.

Another thing that took me a while to get used to is the lag when changing patches on the FM-3. I only use it in the studio so it’s not a problem, but it made me think it would be very limiting to use live (because you have to use it in a way that limits that delay).

I do love the Fractal, I just think the HX Stomp is extremely hard to beat value for money wise. If you’re curious to try the Fractal then I don’t think that thought will go until you’ve used it for yourself.

What sounds in particular are you after?

If possible buy both and return the one you like least. Both units hold their value very well and sell quickly on the used market. Can’t really lose.

I would go with the Fractal all the way. Once you learn the basics you can program it very easy.

I owned a line 6 helix rack before selling it (had to at the time ) and just bought the hx stomp for studio and practice use.

The amp modeling is fantastic for the price point IMO and it’s one of the few home runs line 6 has made with their products.

Not only is the UI really newb friendly and easy to setup but you get even more features than the fractal.

However tone wise the fractual is better and slightly more accurate but I don’t think it’s worth the difference unless you can’t live without a amp or two. The helix has terrible sims for almost all peavey and some Marshall models to where they’re unusable. I’m talking like nails on a chalk board bad. The rest sound awesome.

I personally am not big on modelers , 80% of the time I use a reactive load box going into the helix with 3rd party IRs. This really is the way IMO and sounds better than any modeler. However I loved the helix for all its features and it’s crystal clear sound card. Any Audio played through it sounded amazing and it could get LOUD.

Just a heads up : you’re gonna be over paying for the fm3 because it can hardly do anything compared to the AXE-FX other than run a single simple signal chain. That’s really it.

That’s not the case with any of the helix variations.

Last edited:
There were a number of good players in our scene using a Helix a few years back. We were all sold on them. I can't think of one that still has theirs. My issue with it was that every tone I dialed in sounded the same no matter what the base for the tone was. Granted I play metal and am all about the chugs but it all sounded the same by the time I was done fucking around with a tone. That being said, if I was in a cover band? I would still have it.

I have both and don't like the Helix sound. It sounds too fake. The 2204 doesn't come close to a 2204. The FM3 sounds awesome no matter what you are doing. And it is super easy to use. I use the software for both and prefer Fractal's software. I prefer my AA6 and Headrush Pedalboard to Helix as they are more raw and real and not fake sounding and digital to me.

Check out Leon Todd's 5 minute tones to see how quick it is to find great tone. I love most of the presets and if I just add an amp and cab to a blank preset it sounds great with the default values. This is an old 1 minute tone video but this is what sold me on Fractal

And a 5 minute one

I think I'm sold on the FM3.

The only hangup I still have is whether the FM3 is basically the same thing as the Axe FX or not? Same platform? Same sounds? Or different? Does it use the same software, or does it have its own thing going on?

Also, what does it mean to be "less powerful"? What does that equate to?? Just fewer options to adjust? I'm still fuzzy on that.

I think I'm sold on the FM3.

The only hangup I still have is whether the FM3 is basically the same thing as the Axe FX or not? Same platform? Same sounds? Or different? Does it use the same software, or does it have its own thing going on?

Also, what does it mean to be "less powerful"? What does that equate to?? Just fewer options to adjust? I'm still fuzzy on that.
Yes, the FM3 is the same as Axe FX and uses the same software. Less powerful means you can't run dual amps and the same amount of effects but it is still plenty for most people IMO. I'm not sure if any effects are missing but I think the both have the same amps and effects and sound the same. You might want to research that over at Fractal's forum.

I love my FM3. Same sounds as the bigger brothers. That said, if you can afford it I'd get the FM9 which has more processing power so you can do things like run 2 amps at once as mentioned above. You just have more options. I strongly suggest visiting the fractal site, click the "products" tab at the top and there's a super useful product comparison table as you scroll down. Just know that either way you go there will be a learning curve. Get comfortable with being a little uncomfortable and remember you don't HAVE to use the deep editing features to get killer sounds. Find a familiar amp and use that to pick an IR (cab) that you like. The right IR will make your journey much more enjoyable.

I have tried the Helix and ended up buying a used Axe FX II XL. The fractal sounds better, IMHO

Back