Pedal, effect experts. Help with finding one button solution in a pedal

romanianreaper

So I want to have one button that I push when it is time for a solo that turns on my Keeley Katana Boost and Keeley Halo at the same time.

I saw there is a Joyo A/B box, Morley A/B pedal, etc. Can anyone make any recommendations? I don't want to tap dance and click two pedals, forgot to turn one off, etc. A one button solution would be great. Thanks and the cheaper the better, lol

Ill think about my electro harmonix switchblade when I’m not drinking but it might work for you since it has A+B function. I don’t use mine anymore since I use the Lehle for my amps. Never thought about using for what you need. Below is a stock picture. See if it might work for you.

Attachments

• B71157BB-CCCE-4239-A4F6-EA8CE6CFCBDB.png
    B71157BB-CCCE-4239-A4F6-EA8CE6CFCBDB.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
Go to American Loopers. Any passive or programmable switcher (looper) will do what you need.

Go to American Loopers. Any passive or programmable switcher (looper) will do what you need.
Hey that website has a ton of options!! Good stuff!

So if I wanted to run three pedals together and hit one button, I would just need one loop right? From the looks of it, there are four in/out jacks. So I'm thinking I have send and return going to two jacks on the box. Then a separate send and return off of the box would go through all three of my pedals. That one button would turn all three on and off with one push.

Just as a sidenote, I can't just use the 5150-III effect loop switch to turn all effects on and off because my noise gate is in the loop and remains on constantly. That is why I need a "solo" switch.

Hey that website has a ton of options!! Good stuff!

So if I wanted to run three pedals together and hit one button, I would just need one loop right? From the looks of it, there are four in/out jacks. So I'm thinking I have send and return going to two jacks on the box. Then a separate send and return off of the box would go through all three of my pedals. That one button would turn all three on and off with one push.

Just as a sidenote, I can't just use the 5150-III effect loop switch to turn all effects on and off because my noise gate is in the loop and remains on constantly. That is why I need a "solo" switch.
A looper has 1 input, 1 output, and a pair of in/out jacks per “loop” you want to be able to turn on/off. You can put no, 1, or a million pedals in each loop that all get turned on/off at the same time.

So I'm assuming you want:
1. Katana Boost to the amp's input
2. Halo in the loop

If that's the case, you can't put the boost and the delay into one loop in a switcher. If you do that, they'll all have to go either before the amp or in the loop. You're going to need a loop switcher device, and you're going to need to route your amp's preamp between the boost and delay as if it was just another effects pedal.

Here's the cheapest loop switcher with built in preset capability I know of, the Boss MS-3:
(I use the 5-loop version of this switcher and it works great)

p2VPq2I.png

m40oObw.png

Wire everything up like this:

z4bzf2b.png

Create two presets:

Preset 1: (effects off, preamp on)
Loop 1 OFF, Loop 2 ON, Loop 3 OFF

Preset 2: (effects on, preamp on)
Loop 1 ON, Loop 2 ON, Loop 3 ON

Basically, for both presets, just keep the 5153's preamp always on, and turn the effects on and off per preset. Run the loop switcher's output to the noise gate so it's always in the chain.

Any loop switcher with presets will work like this, but this is the cheapest loop switcher with presets I know of.

Last edited:
There is always risk of loud pop if You use simple true bypass loop. It also depends on pedals and amp loop itself. Cheapest but not greatest.
LS-2 is good option, it could boost signal also if I remember correctly.
Boss MS-3 is swiss knife with a lot of features in small and durable package and if You are not so picky, it is only pedal You will ever need. Highly recommended.

FWIW....while not the cheapest solution I used a Boss ES-5 with my 5153 which allowed me to run pedals out front via the built in loops in the ES-5, it allowed me to control my G-Major 2 in the amps effects loop while also allowing me to switch the effects loop on and off, and finally it also handled the channel switching on the amp itself. The nice part was because the unit is fully programmable I could create patches as well so to your point everything I wanted was basically at the press of one button. It worked very well and there wasn't a huge learning curve.

FWIW....while not the cheapest solution I used a Boss ES-5 with my 5153 which allowed me to run pedals out front via the built in loops in the ES-5, it allowed me to control my G-Major 2 in the amps effects loop while also allowing me to switch the effects loop on and off, and finally it also handled the channel switching on the amp itself. The nice part was because the unit is fully programmable I could create patches as well so to your point everything I wanted was basically at the press of one button. It worked very well and there wasn't a huge learning curve.

@romanianreaper

I also have an ES-5 and can back up everything Sierra Voodoo is saying. The Boss loop switcher platform is exactly what you're looking for.
The Boss MS-3 I talked about above is the 3-loop version of the ES-5, which will also do the job you're describing.

So I'm assuming you want:
1. Katana Boost to the amp's input
2. Halo in the loop

If that's the case, you can't put the boost and the delay into one loop in a switcher. If you do that, they'll all have to go either before the amp or in the loop. You're going to need a loop switcher device, and you're going to need to route your amp's preamp between the boost and delay as if it was just another effects pedal.

Here's the cheapest loop switcher with built in preset capability I know of, the Boss MS-3:
(I use the 5-loop version of this switcher and it works great)

p2VPq2I.png

m40oObw.png

Wire everything up like this:

z4bzf2b.png

Create two presets:

Preset 1: (effects off, preamp on)
Loop 1 OFF, Loop 2 ON, Loop 3 OFF

Preset 2: (effects on, preamp on)
Loop 1 ON, Loop 2 ON, Loop 3 ON

Basically, for both presets, just keep the 5153's preamp always on, and turn the effects on and off per preset. Run the loop switcher's output to the noise gate so it's always in the chain.

Any loop switcher with presets will work like this, but this is the cheapest loop switcher with presets I know of.
Actually it is even simpler than that. I want the boost, delay, and reverb in thr effects loop and one button to turn all three on. I use the Katana as a clean boost.

Actually it is even simpler than that. I want the boost, delay, and reverb in thr effects loop and one button to turn all three on. I use the Katana as a clean boost.

Gotcha, in that case then yep then @Shask got it right. A Boss LS-2 will do fine.

Also, bonus if you can find a loop switcher that itself has remote switching. That might allow you to keep the actual switcher near the amp, keeping your cable runs short.

Gotcha, in that case then yep then @Shask got it right. A Boss LS-2 will do fine.

Also, bonus if you can find a loop switcher that itself has remote switching. That might allow you to keep the actual switcher near the amp, keeping your cable runs short.
I like the price on the American Loopers pedals. They are around $69 and up. I love BOSS stuff too but may be overkill. Shask and I have been buds on many a forum for years. That dude could probably convince me to buy an amp made out of sheepskin....lol

Back