NGD - My first Gibson

Rex Rocker

Not as fancy as some of you guys have, but I love it! It sounds absolutely gorgeous. Very loud acoustically!

I already swapped the pickups in it. The 490T and R were horrible, LOL. If it were a 498T, I would've kept it, but I had a Black Winter and a Super 2 laying around, so...

Has a nice flamey neck too!

Attachments

• image_107280.jpeg
    image_107280.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 101
  • image_107281.jpeg
    image_107281.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image_107282.jpeg
    image_107282.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 101
The black winter is such an underrated pickup. Congrats on the Les Paul and finding a good one that rings out acoustically! I bet it screams now with some hot pickups in it

My friend had a Les Paul studio in the 90s. It had an epic ebony fretboard and played great. It also sounded really, really, really good. I could not believe how good it sounded. Once in a while
You can find an epic guitar at a great price.

So I swapped the pickups out for a Black Winter/Super 2, and I also added Grover locking tuners. Also Schaller straplocks!

Nice! I wouldn't be able to stick with black pickups in it though. I would want to get something chrome or zebra in it.

I love black winters but if you are ever thinking about putting other pickups in try the suhr aldrich in it. I put them in my classic then put grover locking tuners on it and God it's damn near perfect. If it had stainless frets I wouldn't have any complaints.

Nice! I wouldn't be able to stick with black pickups in it though. I would want to get something chrome or zebra in it.

I love black winters but if you are ever thinking about putting other pickups in try the suhr aldrich in it. I put them in my classic then put grover locking tuners on it and God it's damn near perfect. If it had stainless frets I wouldn't have any complaints.
I'm happy with the X2N/Evo combo in the Gibbo, but for the Epiphone 1959, yeah. I might actually have to get some zebras, LOL.

I agree the black doesn't like right in that particular guitar.

But congrats on the new guitar!

I've got some black reflector knobs on the way to compliment the pickups a bit better. Plus the switch tip is also black. I like the whole vintage shell/modern engine hybrid look, personally! :)

Last edited:
Those are actually pretty cool guitars. I almost bought one instead of the LP Classic. I really wanted to save some cash and mod the hell out it. I really dig the cherry sunburst.

Back