Floyd rose 1000’s. Junk!!!

If I dive bomb each string goes a few cents down(still in tune with each other).so if I hit a cord it sounds perfect but on a tuner I’m down a little. Once I pull it back a little all strings are right back in perfect tune.
There’s no string stretching or anything off. It’s in tune. Just not at the key I tuned to. Once I pull up so slightly it’s in the right key again. The whole baseplate does not return to home position. It’s definitely binding The knife edge is junk It’s pot metal and not hardened like an ofr
Did you try putting a small dab of vasaline on each pivot point?

I have a few 08/09 charvels but I rest the Floyd’s on the bodies. I never have and issue because it pulls it back to the body every time.
I’ll bet then, that these newer 1000s aren’t from Korea like the ones from 08-12 that went in the USA/MiJ Charvels. Different country of manufacture…which truly sucks. The 1000s are ‘supposed’ to be identical to an ofr just made outside Germany. The Korean versions are pretty good; save for the fine tuners.

If I dive bomb each string goes a few cents down(still in tune with each other).so if I hit a cord it sounds perfect but on a tuner I’m down a little. Once I pull it back a little all strings are right back in perfect tune.
There’s no string stretching or anything off. It’s in tune. Just not at the key I tuned to. Once I pull up so slightly it’s in the right key again. The whole baseplate does not return to home position. It’s definitely binding The knife edge is junk It’s pot metal and not hardened like an ofr
Are the knife edges replaceable ? IDK if they are or not, I think some older Ibanez Floyd knock offs had replaceable knife edges, they were like a little metal insert that slid into a slot/groove in the base plate casting... smart design for a wear piece.

Are the knife edges replaceable ? IDK if they are or not, I think some older Ibanez Floyd knock offs had replaceable knife edges, they were like a little metal insert that slid into a slot/groove in the base plate casting... smart design for a wear piece.
No there not. The base is a cast metal The ofr is a machined hardened steel.

I’ve tried grease and oil in the past and it doesn’t help once the knife edge is rolled.
A good way to tell is the posts. If you see a ring around them to the metal under the coating then it’s more than likely rollled and you have small slivers.

TRY THIS

Any one with a floating trem try this over the weekend.
Tune up your guitar. Clamp the nut. Bend the crap out of those strings and make sure it’s holding your tuning but don’t touch the trem bar.
Now dive bomb. Check your tuning with a tuner. I bet most of you guys aren’t in perfect tune anymore.

No there not. The base is a cast metal The ofr is a machined hardened steel.

I’ve tried grease and oil in the past and it doesn’t help once the knife edge is rolled.
A good way to tell is the posts. If you see a ring around them to the metal under the coating then it’s more than likely rollled and you have small slivers.

TRY THIS

Any one with a floating trem try this over the weekend.
Tune up your guitar. Clamp the nut. Bend the crap out of those strings and make sure it’s holding your tuning but don’t touch the trem bar.
Now dive bomb. Check your tuning with a tuner. I bet most of you guys aren’t in perfect tune anymore.
Maybe get OFR posts? They should thread in nicely to the inserts. I have OFRs now on my Charvels but the posts are still stock from the original 1000.

I believe there are a few reason why here.
1 it’s cheaper steel will produce metal shavings
2 if the studs aren’t at the correct distance apart they bind the base

This is why it’s so important to relieve string tension and actually pull the Floyd away from the studs when adjusting height because if you grind on those knife edges your Floyd and guitar is now phucked.

Here is a challenge to all the guys that says they’ve never had an issue.
Plug into a tuner and make sure your in tune. Now dive bomb. Let the Floyd return by itself. Recheck tuning.
Pull back on the bar and check again.

When I dive my tuning goes a few cents short. If I gently pull back it goes right back in tune. That tells me it’s binding up.

String have been on there a few day and stretched nicely. They hold tuning.
Changed springs no change. Made sure it’s level low e to high e no change. Level with body. Checked the studs and they look new. The knife edge looks good. No slivers of metal anywhere. It refuses to return to “home position “ without a nudge.
Make sure the 2 screws holding down the nut are tight. Sometimes they don't tighten them down snug from the factory, (or just come loose). If the nut isn't firmly in place, you bet your ass you'll have problems. Been there, done that!

Sometimes the locking nut pads are wonky. I've replaced them with OFR pads/screws and solved issues..

And, (though not necessary, but certainly an upgrade), I buy OFR HD noiseless springs, (usually black). Sometimes the springs are shitty, new or not..

Last edited:
In reference to the clamps on the nut, make sure the orientation is correct. The underside is slightly concave. There should be 2 points of contact on each string, so the top side of the locking block/apex line runs parallel with the strings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geo
I’ll bet then, that these newer 1000s aren’t from Korea like the ones from 08-12 that went in the USA/MiJ Charvels. Different country of manufacture…which truly sucks. The 1000s are ‘supposed’ to be identical to an ofr just made outside Germany. The Korean versions are pretty good; save for the fine tuners.
Yeah, the finer tuners are shit. But, I can honestly say, set up properly, the 1000's do their job. They're just a step down from the original. Last Jackson Wildcard I had recently had an OFR on it, and it was night and day. Fine tuners were buttery smooth.

The problem with the 1000 is they are inconsistent. You can get a good one, or a real turd. But, they are serviceable, with some TLC.

Yeah, the finer tuners are shit. But, I can honestly say, set up properly, the 1000's do their job. They're just a step down from the original. Last Jackson Wildcard I had recently had an OFR on it, and it was night and day. Fine tuners were buttery smooth.

The problem with the 1000 is they are inconsistent. You can get a good one, or a real turd. But, they are serviceable, with some TLC.
I’ve only had experience with the 1000s that went into the 08-12 Charvels. Probably had over 20 at this point; none gave me any trouble and those were my gigging days. I’ll bet they’ve moved out of Korea for production some time ago.

Back