Best NOS 6v6 tubes? Ken Rad, Tung Sol, etc.

GuitarGuy08

Update: Sound great, one went microphonic already.

Hey guys, I fell into the deep and dangerous world of tube rolling. Hours of strumming the same progressions while swapping a tube here or there....couldn't be happier!

I installed a set of 6v6gt Tung Sol USA tubes last night. I do like the sound of them a lot but am not certain they quite jive with my tone search. From what I can tell, these are some of the best tubes for guitar amps.

My question is, what is your favorite set of 6v6s? Mind you, I love a huge 3D clean and then get screamingly heavy on the gain channel.

May be that I biased these a touch hotter, as I now have a bit more background noise, which wasn't expected.

So, after reading some online, I think KenRads would be a great option but am new to the NOS tube game and pretty much spent my play money on my range of new 12ax7s: 5 mullards, 2 RCA long grey's and 1 RCA black plate.

I happened to have picked up this set of Tung Sols forever ago but have a feeling the Ken Rads are calling my name? Any experience would be helpful!

EDIT: The Tung Sols had a tube that was gunked up. I somehow missed this in my excitement and assumed I had properly cleaned them when I first received them ages ago. After a thorough cleaning, they are performing wonderfully.

How I would describe the Tun Sols after brief use (Less than 1 hour:)

Pre-amps: NOS Mullard 12ax7s
Low- Deep, extended, thumpy, tight. Beautifully present but never overwhelming. I could see this being the perfect low end balance for many/most guitarists.

Mids: These seems to leave the mids you are pushing alone, but makes each part of the spectrum more present. If you had a lot of mids before, you will notice it more now. Smooths out things at the same time though, could just be comparing the previous Chinese output tubes.

Highs- The highs are extended like the lows and just as controlled. I don't seem to be getting ear fatigue and highs are able to be dialed in enough and are present enough for a mix.

Final Analysis:

Highly recommend. A relatively cheap upgrade you can do for your help to help make it shine. These tubes have a smooth breakup and tone to them overall while providing clarity and punch. Will i still pick up a pair of the JAN RCAs to try? Sure, why not? I can get a killer NOS/tNOS matched pair for $60, so its worth a try in a blackface style amp.

I will review these tubes again with RCAs running in preamp section since it has been recommended countless times all over the internet for American amps. I appreciate your input and am glad my initial assessment was skewed.

Last edited:
My guess would be RCA/GE.
Any specific years? I know that GE bought Ken Rad at some point if I recall and kept the name briefly before dropping it.

I'm guessing these ones aren't so great because I am now getting like a static crackle when a decent amount of bass is used . It kind of sounds like the speakers but I was cranking this before the swap last night without that issue. Before I start messing with my speakers and such again, I'll revert back to my old tubes and see if the problem goes away.

Any specific years? I know that GE bought Ken Rad at some point if I recall and kept the name briefly before dropping it.

I'm guessing these ones aren't so great because I am now getting like a static crackle when a decent amount of bass is used . It kind of sounds like the speakers but I was cranking this before the swap last night without that issue. Before I start messing with my speakers and such again, I'll revert back to my old tubes and see if the problem goes away.
I honestly don't know but this guy is good and I have bought from him a few times.

Here is a good example:

https://www.kcanostubes.com/node/741

What amp are you using? I liked Tung-Sol USA 6V6’s a lot. My overall favorite was Raytheon (most growl, warmth and thick). The other 6v6’s that were keepers for me with their place were Sylvania (tight, crisp, bright, clear), JAN Philips (kind of a middle ground of Sylvania and Raytheon), RCA (most bottom end, old school sound, dark, smooth, very fat), CBS-Hytron (similar to Sylvania’s), Mullard (much more midrange crunch, more British flavor almost like an EL84), Valvo (also more midrange crunch, euro flavor), GEC 6v6G (very crisp), and vintage Sovtek (big bottom end, scooped). The GE’s and Magnavox’s didn’t have enough balls or aggression for my taste. What are you looking for in your tone?

What amp are you using? I liked Tung-Sol USA 6V6’s a lot. My overall favorite was Raytheon (most growl, warmth and thick). The other 6v6’s that were keepers for me with their place were Sylvania (tight, crisp, bright, clear), JAN Philips (kind of a middle ground of Sylvania and Raytheon), RCA (most bottom end, old school sound, dark, smooth, very fat), CBS-Hytron (similar to Sylvania’s), Mullard (much more midrange crunch, more British flavor almost like an EL84), Valvo (also more midrange crunch, euro flavor), GEC 6v6G (very crisp), and vintage Sovtek (big bottom end, scooped). The GE’s and Magnavox’s didn’t have enough balls or aggression for my taste. What are you looking for in your tone?
So I'm thinking I may have jumped the gun a bit! Seems these were a bit more gunked up than I recall. After several proper cleanings of the socket and such, the tubes are working, and sounding, far better.

I would still say that these do not quite have the extended top and bottom range that I am seeking but need to do further testing, I could be wrong.

The sound is very solid. Like a wall. Thick. It may be because the mullards already sweeten the top end and so does a speaker in my 2x12.

Definitely great tubes and I can see why guitarists dig them. A mud range push going on but again, I have a ton of midrange push going on. This could change if I swap in an RCA or two, set to arrive today (preamp)

I want something with crazy dimension and deep bass that you feel through your feet. The highs need to be clear but not grating. I play very clean to extremely heavy.

My amp is Fender modded 65 BF Basically and the drive channel/boost a cross between Marshall and who knows, glorious.

The Mullard 12ax7 have a 3D sound but I'm thinking the RCA longplates may work better. I have a Blackplates as well. The Tung Sols may just stay.

Ken Rads or RCAs may be worth a look if they aren't too expensive and can give me more space between my notes if that makes sense but again, further sound testing is still needed with them working proper.

I replaced the stock modern JJ 6V6S tubes in my Simo-Plex (tweed deluxe type amp) with some old RCA 6V6's and honestly noticed very little if any difference.

I guess they're cooler because they're old though haha

So I'm thinking I may have jumped the gun a bit! Seems these were a bit more gunked up than I recall. After several proper cleanings of the socket and such, the tubes are working, and sounding, far better.

I would still say that these do not quite have the extended top and bottom range that I am seeking but need to do further testing, I could be wrong.

The sound is very solid. Like a wall. Thick. It may be because the mullards already sweeten the top end and so does a speaker in my 2x12.

Definitely great tubes and I can see why guitarists dig them. A mud range push going on but again, I have a ton of midrange push going on. This could change if I swap in an RCA or two, set to arrive today (preamp)

I want something with crazy dimension and deep bass that you feel through your feet. The highs need to be clear but not grating. I play very clean to extremely heavy.

My amp is Fender modded 65 BF Basically and the drive channel/boost a cross between Marshall and who knows, glorious.

The Mullard 12ax7 have a 3D sound but I'm thinking the RCA longplates may work better. I have a Blackplates as well. The Tung Sols may just stay.

Ken Rads or RCAs may be worth a look if they aren't too expensive and can give me more space between my notes if that makes sense but again, further sound testing is still needed with them working proper.
IME the USA Tung-Sol’s have more extended lows & top end than most other US brands, so I’d say RCA or Raytheon would probably be your best bets. RCA’s IME have the deepest, most extended low end, very fat sound, but also dark and smooth. The Raytheon 6v6’s have a lot of growl, warmth and imo just great tone, my overall favorites so far. They kinda sag, but still are tight and articulate if that makes sense

I replaced the stock modern JJ 6V6S tubes in my Simo-Plex (tweed deluxe type amp) with some old RCA 6V6's and honestly noticed very little if any difference.

I guess they're cooler because they're old though haha
If they're around the same price then yeah, I'll go with NOS for the coolness factor :) I can't go crazy on these though as far as money goes. I got these forever ago and never installed them. Totally forgot about them until the other day.

IME the USA Tung-Sol’s have more extended lows & top end than most other US brands, so I’d say RCA or Raytheon would probably be your best bets. RCA’s IME have the deepest, most extended low end, very fat sound, but also dark and smooth. The Raytheon 6v6’s have a lot of growl, warmth and imo just great tone, my overall favorites so far. They kinda sag, but still are tight and articulate if that makes sense
I keep hearing RCA and I'm thinking this would probably be the next choice for me if the Tung Sols don't work with my current setup. Any specific RCAs? Should I shoot for the Black plates if I can? Raytheon eh? I'll also look into those :) RCA and Fender keep coming back together as a common thread but Damn do these Mullards so freaking great in here!! Maybe just a mix of Mullard and RCA or even Raytheon now lol

I keep hearing RCA and I'm thinking this would probably be the next choice for me if the Tung Sols don't work with my current setup. Any specific RCAs? Should I shoot for the Black plates if I can? Raytheon eh? I'll also look into those :) RCA and Fender keep coming back together as a common thread but Damn do these Mullards so freaking great in here!! Maybe just a mix of Mullard and RCA or even Raytheon now lol
Mine are blackplates, but not sure how other RCA’s compare. I think the Tung-sol’s are also great for 6v6’s. Raytheon’s are very cheap, so a no brainer imo to at least try. Mullard’s are great tubes no doubt (their 6v6’s are as well), but I find them to my ears a little awkward sounding in fenders and other American amps rather than euro amps where they sound more at home to me. Something about RCA or GE’s in fenders just sound right to me, but the GE 6v6 lacked some aggression or balls for my taste. Where GE’s really kill is their 6550’s & 5881’s IME. Great pre’s too

Mine are blackplates, but not sure how other RCA’s compare. I think the Tung-sol’s are also great for 6v6’s. Raytheon’s are very cheap, so a no brainer imo to at least try. Mullard’s are great tubes no doubt (their 6v6’s are as well), but I find them to my ears a little awkward sounding in fenders and other American amps rather than euro amps where they sound more at home to me. Something about RCA or GE’s in fenders just sound right to me, but the GE 6v6 lacked some aggression or balls for my taste. Where GE’s really kill is their 6550’s & 5881’s IME. Great pre’s too
I'll look out for the Raytheons and RCA blacks. I really appreciate the experience and advice. It would make sense that the amp country of origin and tube origin would work together design and sound wise. I'll hit up my tube guy and see what kind of deals I can get rolling soon ;) May have to sell a guitar that is just hanging around here

Update: One of the Tungs already went microphonic on me. They were bought awhile back. Not certain if 2 of my NOS input tubes also went out or if they are tied in closer to the circuit and am experiencing proximity sounds. (PI tube and V2).

Hit my new guy up and hoping to have better log with the RCAs he'll be shipping

Update: One of the Tungs already went microphonic on me. They were bought awhile back. Not certain if 2 of my NOS input tubes also went out or if they are tied in closer to the circuit and am experiencing proximity sounds. (PI tube and V2).

Hit my new guy up and hoping to have better log with the RCAs he'll be shipping
That’s why I typically don’t mess with NOS these days. The JJs are some of the toughest new production 6V6s. Just put a set in and bias them up and play. IMO of course.

That’s why I typically don’t mess with NOS these days. The JJs are some of the toughest new production 6V6s. Just put a set in and bias them up and play. IMO of course.
Hoping that the JAN (military) RCAs are free from issues. The red tip Mullard I have is dead ass quiet. Like, the quietest tube I've ever experienced. If nothing else, I'll just put back in the output tubes I previously had in there and bias it the same. I appreciate the feedback for sure, I know JJs sound good in a lot of Amps

Back