Anyone here have an Ash body/maple neck bolt on/ Floyd?

Aldrich usually works. If you want to order something, that’s cool but the Aldrich is one of my faves and usually works.

I've got a Splawn, I can get close to that tone without even trying :) , "that" tone is not what I'm after , I need a warm hot PAF
that's not overly upper mid "hyped". The Splawn has a lot of upper mids and treble to it, a a bright upper mid heavy pickup in a bright guitar
is what I'm trying to stay away from.
I'll try it and if it doesn't work I can throw in the Aldrich or get a toneZone

Oh, you do have the good's , lucky you .

Enjoy .

Aldrich usually works. If you want to order something, that’s cool but the Aldrich is one of my faves and usually works.
I like the Aldrich , but it doesn't work in every guitar, I had it in the bridge of this Charvel DK24 and it was a honky upper mid nightmare.
I replaced it with a ToneZone and it sounds killer now. I don't know why Charvel will not do a 24 fret full sized strat. Dinky bodies are Jackson as far as I am concerned. I think you lose a little tone "body" when you go dinky vs full size strat.
IMG_4501.jpg

I have slapped together a lot of partscasters over the last several years, and I’ve grown really partial to this one. Musikraft Northern Hard Ash Frank body and Warmoth Quartersawn Maple neck. 6115 Stainless Frets. Locking Tuners and non FT Floyd.

As far as pickups, I have moved a Jalen Franky and a Duncan Whole Lotta’ Humbucker through this guitar and they both delivered. The Frank was a bit brighter than the WLH, but not unworkably so. Just a different flavor. Right now, she is sporting a Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid, and I just may be done swapping pickups. Not that the 59/Custom is ‘hands down’ or ‘far and away’ better - but it seems to bring the girth of the WLH and the clarity of the Franky.

At this point, you really are talking about distinctions that are difficult to identify through an overdriven amp with effects. And most of the tonal distinctions between pickups of similar variety can be dialed in or out with the amp. For a heavy, hard ash bolt-on strat, I‘d definitely give the Custom/59 Hybrid or the Fair Warning a whirl before deciding the pickup quest was over.

Attachments

• 9032F0BC-39F7-499D-94AA-565C3979348A.jpeg
    9032F0BC-39F7-499D-94AA-565C3979348A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Reactions: ccn
If that doesn't work out, try a Dimarzio Virtual Hot PAF
FWIW - I hunted and hunted and hunted for one of these and finally found an F-Spaced version at a reasonable price. Not sure if it was the guitar I had it in or what, but it had zero - and I mean ZERO - definition on the low strings. Absolute low end mud that could not be dialed out on the amp or cut with a boost pedal. Fought with it for a week, swapped a Duncan Custom back in, and the guitar sounded great again. I may try it in a different guitar, but I was really disappointed after all the hype and searching so long to snag one.

I like the Aldrich , but it doesn't work in every guitar, I had it in the bridge of this Charvel DK24 and it was a honky upper mid nightmare.
I replaced it with a ToneZone and it sounds killer now. I don't know why Charvel will not do a 24 fret full sized strat. Dinky bodies are Jackson as far as I am concerned. I think you lose a little tone "body" when you go dinky vs full size strat.

I hear you. If it’s too brite and honky - I’m going ToneZone.

I have a maple body(pretty similar tone to northern ash) with maple neck and board+ FR...

I have tried about 20 pickups in that guitar...the best is a 10k with 42awg...nothing beats it...

So my Jalen FW came today, I asked him for an F=spaced 4 conductor, came in a really cool little box with my name on it. Shipped very quickly too.
Nice touch :) sadly I have covid and am down and out so it's going to be a while before I can get it into my guitar. will make a video when it's in there

I got her back from my tech today as he did some more clean up for me and wired up the new pick guard. I haven't had a chance to put the Jalen through it's paces yet but from the little I did get to plug in today, I think I'm going to like this pickup quite a bit. I've always found Ash to be a bit bright but this pickup seems to balance pretty well with it.
Jalen in the bridge/Duncan classic stack+/Duncan 1/4 pounder, push/pull volume pot to split the bridge , so position 2 is now full bridge and middle, pull the pot ad it splits in position1 and 2, I have my MIJ Charvel SoCal wired up this way and it gives me a lot of tonal options.
IMG_4528.jpg

Last edited:
I got her back from my tech today as he did some more clean up for me and wired up the new pick guard. I haven't had a chance to put the Jalen through it's paces yet but from the little I did get to plug in today, I think I'm going to like this pickup quite a bit. I've always found Ash to be a ibit bright but this pickup seems to balance pretty well with it.
It's a good pickup.

I really like the offset coil thing.

I don't have the right amp yet to dial in those awesome tones by PLX and Jim Gaustad using the Fair Warning pickup but I'm not bummed about it because I know the FW clearly produces those tones. It's a very rich and harmonic laden tone which I love .

Surprised to hear how good it sounds on a song from the WACF album. I was convinced it nailed the Fair Warning tones but I wasn't sure what else.

I don't have the right amp yet to dial in those awesome tones by PLX and Jim Gaustad using the Fair Warning pickup but I'm not bummed about it because I know the FW clearly produces those tones. It's a very rich and harmonic laden tone which I love .

Surprised to hear how good it sounds on a song from the WACF album. I was convinced it nailed the Fair Warning tones but I wasn't sure what else.
That was a home-brew JCM800 into my reactive load/line out.

:p 🤟

Reactions: ccn
That’s cool the Jalen worked out. I struggled to find a good pickup for ash guitars. I had an Ibanez RGR652AHBF which felt great but I must have tried 15 pickup combinations in it. Then I tried the Tom Anderson H3 and H2+ and blown away, perfect for the ash guitars i currently own.

That’s cool the Jalen worked out. I struggled to find a good pickup for ash guitars. I had an Ibanez RGR652AHBF which felt great but I must have tried 15 pickup combinations in it. Then I tried the Tom Anderson H3 and H2+ and blown away, perfect for the ash guitars i currently own.
that's funny I had an RG752AHM that I loved but also went through a bunch of pickups. ended up with Bare Knuckle Boot camp "True Grits"
pretty good but that guitar was just insanely bright

Back