Anyone here have an Ash body/maple neck bolt on/ Floyd?

kmanick

the Ibanez I recently got has the IBZ pickups in it (yuck) they are very bright and thin, literally no lower mids to the bridge pickup at all.
I am going to go with a 1/4 pounder in the neck and a Classic Stack + in the middle but I am undecided on the bridge.
I have a Suhr Aldrich I was thinking of trying, but I'm wondering if that would be too bright (I'm waiting on a new pick guard, hence the reason I haven't tried it yet.
I'm hoping this is going into the rotation as one of my main gigging guitars so it's rock not metal that I'm going to be doing.
Needs to split well too (which the Aldrich does nicely)
What say you that has a guitar similar to this?
what are you using?

A Custom is going to be a good bit brighter than the Aldrich, I just swapped from an Aldrich to a Custom in a guitar for that reason. I would say start with the Aldrich and see where that takes you.

The below is an ash bodied guitar with a maple neck and a floyd . The humbucker is a Jalen "Fair Warning" model . It's on the dark side but not too dark.

damn that sounds pretty sweet how do you get in touch with Jalen to order and get some specs etc?

Reactions: ccn
damn that sounds pretty sweet how do you get in touch with Jalen to order and get some specs etc?
Series Resistance – 15.659 kΩ
Series Inductance – 7.924 H
Slug Coil – 7.138 kΩ
Screw Coil – 8.551 kΩ
Parallel – 3.889 kΩ
Magnet – Rough Cast Short Alnico 5
Lightly potted / no vacuum potting

It's a clone of a very early example found of a Duncan prototype "JB" model.

The Aldrich should not be bright in any guitar. Ash is a tricky wood for pickups in my opinion.
Agreed. I found ash body guitars to vary in sound so much more than other guitars. I usually hate Ash body guitars other than a good early '60's/late '50's tele, but every once in I try one that surprises me in a good way

I wouldn't count on getting that exact tone in the video UNLESS you have the amp type that can deliver that tone . PLX is someone I would talk to about achieving that type of tone in the video because he also bought the "FW" pickup and his sound clips are very close to the tone you hear in that video.

I personally can't get that type of tone but I'm working on it. I have a boogie amp and they don't sound like that unfortunately even with the right pickup.

I wouldn't count on getting that exact tone in the video UNLESS you have the amp type that can deliver that tone . PLX is someone I would talk to about achieving that type of tone in the video because he also bought the "FW" pickup and his sound clips are very close to the tone you hear in that video.

I personally can't get that type of tone but I'm working on it. I have a boogie amp and they don't sound like that unfortunately even with the right pickup.
I'm just a hack.

Gaustad is nailing that shit.

:rock:

I've got a Splawn, I can get close to that tone without even trying :) , "that" tone is not what I'm after , I need a warm hot PAF
that's not overly upper mid "hyped". The Splawn has a lot of upper mids and treble to it, a a bright upper mid heavy pickup in a bright guitar
is what I'm trying to stay away from.
I'll try it and if it doesn't work I can throw in the Aldrich or get a toneZone

Last edited:
Reactions: ccn
Back