NAD: Peavey Ultra Plus Head

War_in_D

There are certain things that I search Guitar Center for on a daily basis. One of these things are Peavey Ultra Plus heads. This one popped up the other day, with a cut power cord and no footswitch. They had it listed ~$480 and I thought they were crazy, even listing it as "Sold as is, no returns", etc. and I'm thinking there is no way that will sell like that. Anyway, checked again the next day and they had come to their senses and had dropped the price way down so I jumped. About 10 minutes later I get a call from the GC selling it and they guy wants to make sure that I knew the condition, telling me it was a store return and due to the cut cord, nobody at the store was brave enough to plug it in to try it out. So, it was basically being sold as non-working and "for parts". I told him that I was aware, and as long as it showed up in the same condition as the pictures showed I'd be happy (meaning they don't destroy it in shipping). It looked like it was in pretty decent shape, other than the cut cord. Showed up yesterday, so I pulled the chassis out today to look it over, all the fuses were good and I couldn't see any obvious issues like burn marks, etc. from the hack wiring job. So... $3.50 later for a replacement plug end from Home Depot, a little time to repair that and it looks I lucked out! I stole the footswitch from my Ultra 212 combo so I could access all three channels, and everything seems to be working just fine.

Ironically.. when I was talking to the guy at the store. I made it very clear that if it got destroyed in shipping, I was going to return it whether it said no returns or not... This had to be the best packed amp head I've ever gotten from GC. Proper sized box, good packing materials and they even removed the tubes for shipment, bubble wrapped them all and numbered them and even sent a little tube chart so I could replace them in the same spots. All for an amp they were selling "for parts". Imagine if they took that kind of care in shipping everything. I guess they really didn't want this one back. Boggles the mind.. LOL

GC Peavey Ultra.JPG

GC Peavey Ultra 2.JPG

GC Peavey Ultra 4.JPG

Peavey Ultra Plus.jpg

Peavey Ultra Plus 2.jpg

Sweet Jesus! I love people who can't do basic electronic troubleshooting and repair.

I would have bought that one on principle even though I already have one.

I have always wanted one of those...found a combo local but never a head......

Yeah, I've got the Ultra 112 Combo (I mistakenly called it a 212 up there). Great little amp that I had seriously contemplated converting it to a head many times when the opportunity to grab the actual head had slipped through my grasp.

should I grab it then? dude wants like 200 for it....

Yup, for $200 I'd be all over it. I gave right around $250 for mine, I think. It was a pawnshop find. Just make sure it's got the footswitch, or be prepared to buy one. If you don't have it, you'll only be able to access the clean and ultra channels.

The one you're looking at looks like this, right? Or similar, depending on how many speakers. They made them in either 1x12, 2x12, or 4x10 combos. I've had the 1x12, and the 2x12 combos but the 4x10 is just too big. These are just the combo version of the Ultra Plus head, and only 60 watts. Just for kicks, the Peavey Rockmaster rack mount preamp is the rack mount version of the Ultra Plus head. If you were looking for a rack mount version.

IMG_20221110_094543853.jpg

Damn right the Ultra plus is an underrated and overlooked gem. I have an Ultra Plus head that I paid $200 for and it needed nothing. Came with the footswitch and the tubes are still just fine. It was just missing the clear Peavey logo, so I mead a new one from acrylic.

The amp sounds great, and I get similar tones to my Uber.

RqC0khj.jpeg

Back