PSA: Bias Your Amps (Bogner Helios Content)

FourT6and2

Grabbed a Helios 50 local for a decent price. It sounded ok and I figured I could mod it to be better. A little ragged and cold and anemic. Original tubes so I figured I'd go over the amp and measure all the voltages and make sure it's healthy. It came biased from Bogner at 33% (17.5mA @ 470v). And it wasn't because the tubes had drifted. The bias pot was literally almost all way at zero. Adjusted bias to 60% and it sounds so much better. More pissed off. More authority. Less ragged/cardboard harshness.

The point here is I bet people try an amp and hate it because it was biased wrong and didn't know it. And I'm also willing to bet all the times people say they tried multiple amps of the same model and noticed one sounded better than the others... it's again—in part—due to improper bias. Biasing an amp so cold, will make it sound like garbage. BUT... the tubes will last longer and I'm 98% certain that's why many amp companies ship their amps biased cold (fewer warranty claims).

I bought a new Hiwatt Super-Hi 50 a few years ago. Straight from the factory to my doorstep. Custom ordered. Custom made just for me. No middle man. It arrived with one tube biased to 110% and the other biased to like 45%. Again, if you just plug in and play, it sounded like garbage. But after a bias adjustment...

So yeah, PSA: Bias your amps when you get them, even if they're brand new.

Absolutely true. It's the same as trying a high end guitar and it plays and sounds like shit. A proper set up and it is now "bad ass".
Difference with a guitar is you can usually see visually there’s a problem. Not so much with an amp

Absolutely ! I always check bias and try a couple different sets of power tubes as well. Don’t listen to that Glenn Flicker guy that says tubes don’t matter. Different brands of power tubes will sound and feel different. But the biggest part is that the pairs are close to being matched and are biased within a good range. I’ve had amps come my way that sound and felt off. Most of the time it was because of the power tubes.

Can’t agree more.

Really pisses me off because a recent amp reviewer reviewed the Laney series I own in my signature. I knew immediately they posted the video without checking the power tube bias or that the amp was healthy after admittingly just buying it. Mine is healthy and has winged C’s and sounded eons better than the video they shared with tens of thousands of eager people.

Not only do amp reviewers break this rule but it’s misleading for many for those that will never play one. It also devalues a lot of great amps on the used market.

So yes. Bias your guitar amplifiers. And to those making YouTube videos for a living recording guitar amplifiers, BIAS YOUR FUCKING GUITAR AMPLIFIERS.

I’m glad I learned this years ago. Check your tubes, check your bias. If it still sounds like ass, maybe it’s not the amp for you?

So yes. Bias your guitar amplifiers. And stop watching all these worthless guitar influencers and grifters on YouTube.
Fixed

And if I might add something. Play and hear a properly biased amp at an adequate volume which I guarantee is beyond bedroom levels in most, if not all, cases. Many MV amps sound good at low volume but response and tone can vary drastically and it doesn't matter if it's a tube amp or solid-state or if it's 50W or 200W. Volume is a major factor in our perception but also in the guitar/amp/speaker/cab interaction.

Last edited:
Fixed

And if I might add something. Play and hear a properly biased amp at an adequate volume which I guarantee is beyond bedroom levels in most, if not all, cases. Many MV amps sound good at low volume but response and tone can vary drastically and it doesn't matter if it's a tube amp or solid-state or if it's 50W or 200W. Volume is a major factor in our perception but also in the guitar/amp/speaker/cab interaction.

You didn’t fix anything in my post. Re-read post #10 once more:

“Not only do amp reviewers break this rule but it’s misleading for many for those that will never play one. It also devalues a lot of great amps on the used market.”

It’s virtually impossible financially to flip amps these days like in the past unless there’s sponsorships or it’s a business model to begin with.

But I literally did. If people would just stop watching this worthless influencer bullshit there wouldn't be any of the problems you mentioned to begin with.
Did you even read past the first sentence of post 15? No one will buy an amplifier you can’t play and can’t listen to recordings of so explain how that fixes anything?

No one will buy an amplifier you can’t play and can’t listen to recordings of so explain how that fixes anything?
So, you weren't alive before 2005 and there were no recordings of amps before mostly incompetent assholes on YouTube started to deceive their audience for money and no one in the history of guitar amps ever bought an amp that he or she wasn't able to play or listen to on a recording beforehand? Yeah, no. Let's just agree to disagree.

Got a 1960 Bugera stupid deal MF $229 shipped. Got it and it immediately started crackling popping etc. Cut it off jerk tubes out throw in garbage. I put xf2 mullards and rft preamp tubes in it and it sounded pretty good. Probably the best Bugera youve ever heard. Granted the tubes are more than the amp but the difference was amazing

So, you weren't alive before 2005 and there were no recordings of amps before mostly incompetent assholes on YouTube started to deceive their audience for money and no one in the history of guitar amps ever bought an amp that he or she wasn't able to play or listen to on a recording beforehand? Yeah, no. Let's just agree to disagree.

In 2005 you could buy whatever the fuck you wanted and not have to pay a capital gains tax, sales tax, or you could ship a 4x12 cabinet for $100. What else about financial stupidity in flipping thousands of dollars of gear in 2022 do I need to explain?

Back