Fuzz Pedals

BeZo

What are you guys using?

I've always been more partial to Fuzz Face circuits, with my favorites coming from Zvex. I've never really been a huge fan of the Big Muff stuffs. I don't have any fuzz pedals, outside of the Zvex Mastotron on my bass board.

Sobbat Fuzzbreaker 1R - basically a Japanese Ge Sun Face (but generally WAY cheaper, assuming you can find one) - my overall fave of my collection when it comes to straight standalone fuzz

Pigtronix Disnortion (original big box) - super versatile box with a killer overdrive circuit, very tweakable fuzz circuit, and an octava circuit that can all be used stand-alone or in any combination. Considering the low used price of these, they are one of the best bang-for-the-buck pedals out there

Keeley Darkside - big muff with several other effects built in as well. Cool pedal

1668541348840.png

I'm not a big fuzz guy so this my only one and I really dig it.

My all time favorite fuzzes a ‘70’s Foxx Tone Machine, Thorpy Bone Yard, and ‘90’s Russian Big Muff. The Danelectro is a great cheap alternative to the Foxx and the Formula B Soviet Tank is a great modern take on the Russian Big Muff

I think I'm up to 7 now.
Let's see:
1. Russian Big Muff
2. SUF Green Russian Dlx - has a separate boost circuit that pumps up the volume and mids
3. Tone Hungry Fuzz Cream - Germanium Fuzz Face, love it, when the footswitch is working
4. Seeker Mk I - Killer Tone Bender
5. Warm Audio Foxy Tone Box - kinda Muffy with an octave, lovely box of noise, $100 used at GC right now
6. Wilson Effects Knuckle Dragger - Super Fuzz clone with tricks. Most bombastic of the collection, makes your guitar effing uge
7. BAT Pharaoh Supreme - Big Muff with tricks. Just picked up, haven't played yet.
8. Fulltone Soul Bender V2 - good Tone Bender III

I've flipped plenty, Analogman, Skreddy, SD, Pedalworx, Monsterpiece, Danelectro, Lumpy's, Colorsound...

The Tone Hungry is the most versatile for cleaning up, and then stacking for heavy stuff. One on Reverb for $110.

Tone Benders are my fav. MkI is just raw wall of sound, not much clean up, killer lead pedal. Mk III is more refined with good cleanup. I think Mk 1.5 is close to Fuzz Face circuit. Seeker, R2R and a few others are making some great fuzzes with NOS parts. Good used prices on Seeker at TGP. The Fulltone SB V2 is a good pedal, not much volume on tap, benefits from running into a cooking amp or a boost after.

The Warm Audio and Wilson Knuckle Dragger are big, musical walls of noise with octave capabilities. Much fun. The KD almost makes the guitar sound like a synth on some settings. Crazy.

The SUF pedals are fantastic, and a bargain at used prices, imo. The Astoria is supposedly a clone of one of Gilmour's Rams Heads. Muffs don't cut thru as well as the other fuzzes, don't clean up as well as other fuzzes, and benefit from something like an EQ, Timmy or Klon behind them to add a lil mids.

Last edited:
I used to have the Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz and I really liked that before I got the Zvex stuff. I had the SD pedal modded so the output was usable and could boost too. Before I modded it, unity gain was like 8 or 9.

I have a brand new custom built fuzz that I just got from Wayne(Griff10672). I have not even plugged it in yet..lol. Maybe he will see this and chime in on what exactly it is.....

I'm down to about 60 of them. I had about 150. Owned about 350.
If you want a good one that isn't real expensive check out a DOD Carcosa.
If you want one that does a bit of everything get a Zvex Fat Fuzz Factory.
If you want simple and just sounds good get a Fulltone 70's pedals.

There is lots of other good ones. But since fuzz is pretty much anything that isn't a overdrive or distortion it covers a huge range.

That particular fuzz is a higher gain sticky / gated " flypaper "type .... hence the name Brundle Fuzz .... but I've built some nice Tone Bender's ... I have a few that I've kept . You can still get decent Transistors to use .... you just pay up for them ... just like anything else ...
ummmm another favorite is my Chernobyl OG ( Orange one with two stomps on it ) that's based off of the Mountain King Megalith ...

Attachments

• 20200724_114928.jpg
    20200724_114928.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 20200625_112549.jpg
    20200625_112549.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 38
Back