1976 Norlin Les Paul Custom Content

Very nice. My favorite color LP. My Norlin LP Standard is from '81, with custom shop Pearly Gates set and an RS harness.

Attachments

• lp.jpg
    lp.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 33
Congratulations!!!

I’m getting my 74 Les Paul back today from my repair guy.
What did you have done to it?

Yeah man she plays like a dream! I’m working on getting all of the hairline scratches out of the finish now - I believe most will come out.

The wine red is starting to grow on me. It wasn't something I was interested in years ago. Congrats man! I have 3 LPs from the late 70s (a standard and 2 customs). All are heavy. :ROFLMAO:

That wine red is sexy... I need me a Norlin Les Paul. My '94 wine red is one of my favorites, but damn love the neck on yours.

That wine red is sexy... I need me a Norlin Les Paul. My '94 wine red is one of my favorites, but damn love the neck on yours.

Thanks man this colors been a real sleeper for years thankfully - they’re really just starting to get a lot of notice. It’s my favorite color of the Norlin era, I love the deep dark red color that the maple and the die color combination makes on these years.

This one is in excellent condition so I had to pay a premium originally which this is the only one I’ve paid close to market for. But an excellent condition 50 year old Les Paul in this wood combination, with how little were manufactured in wine red with maple necks, makes them insanely hard to find. I was looking for one for many years and of those that surfaced many were showing their age or had repairs. And just so everyone is clear, I don’t mind properly repaired necks but many don’t do the repairs correctly which hurts value.

Keep your nose down but my advice is when you do find one you know is the one be ready to spend the $. They’re so worth it - this guitar plays itself and the neck is so insanely fast it’s unreal

Last edited:
They’re so worth it - this guitar plays itself and the neck is so insanely fast it’s unreal

I know they're not the highest sought after guitars, but I do like the maple necks on mine. Good size and shape and they feel great.

I also think the stock T-tops sound great. I haven't replaced the 300kohm pots in either one, but I've heard putting in 500kohm can open them up a bit.

@glpg80 Did any/all of your Norlins have a bridge ground wire? And did they have all those Faraday cages in the cavities? I just realized my '80 didn't have a bridge ground wire but did have all the cages. But it was too noisy. It was easier to install one than I thought and it's super quiet now. Weird they didn't install or even drill for it.

@glpg80 Did any/all of your Norlins have a bridge ground wire? And did they have all those Faraday cages in the cavities? I just realized my '80 didn't have a bridge ground wire but did have all the cages. But it was too noisy. It was easier to install one than I thought and it's super quiet now. Weird they didn't install or even drill for it.

2/3 had faraday cages when I got them. Back then it wasn’t required for them to be installed - some came with cages and some didn’t. I made sure all of mine have them.

One of my Norlins had a high e guitar string being used as a ground wire stock from the factory. They did some wonky stuff back then.

The one shown here had a ground loop in the ground wiring for the switch stock from the factory. These are all things that people have to overcome from the Norlin era and all things that used to kill their value until people realized the 3 piece maple necks and unchambered (until 1983) mahogany bodies are some of the most aggressive sounding guitars today.

Back