Soooo Marshall... who would have thought?

mystixboi

A few weeks ago, I got a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50... wow wow wow. It has pretty good cleans, but I the dirty tones are just great. I can go from a Black Crowes type gain to a super saturated lead tone with a boost up front.

I'm so happy with it. I've spent the last 20 years looking for a hot rodded Marshall tone, but I never bought an actual Marshall. So glad I did. I know this isn't the top of the line, but there are some damn fine tones in this amp!

Bv32mev.jpg

I have an amazing TSL . It’s tubby like a rectifier and is killer boosted . I tried out 3 new ones when they came out it . This one sounded above the other 2 so I snagged it . Still have it since 99 . There are some great 2000s out there

I have an amazing TSL . It’s tubby like a rectifier and is killer boosted . I tried out 3 new ones when they came out it . This one sounded above the other 2 so I snagged it . Still have it since 99 . There are some great 2000s out there
The TSL 100 was my main amp for more than 15 years...I've had 3 of them but my oldest one sounded the best, even though I had put the same output- and preamp tubes in them.
01CXkAa.jpg

I sold my main one 4 years ago because I wanted to scale down to just 3 amps (Friedman BE 100 DLX, modded Marshal 1959 SLP, ENGL Blackmore) but I should've kept it.

The TSL 100 was my main amp for more than 15 years...I've had 3 of them but my oldest one sounded the best, even though I had put the same output- and preamp tubes in them.
01CXkAa.jpg

I sold my main one 4 years ago because I wanted to scale down to just 3 amps (Friedman BE 100 DLX, modded Marshal 1959 SLP, ENGL Blackmore) but I should've kept it.
That’s awesome! But ya there are some good ones . They eat jvms up in jams

im always saying DSL's are great and people here laugh at me
DSLs can be great...it's just that, there are greater Marshalls than DSLs. Lots of pros use DSLs on tour and leave their more prized vintage JMPs at home.
Not much better bang for the buck amps out there, than the DSLs.

Congrats OP! It's always great to get an amp, and be very happy you did.

A good DSL, which is hard to come by, will hang with anything. Most of them have issues.
Don't care for the tsl or jvm.
But a running DSL rox.
Speaking of the old ones, made in England. Not the 40 or anything made in Vietnam or wherever.

Congrats OP. A DSL50 and Avatar OS212 was one of my best sounding rigs for rock n roll. Especially for the $.

I had a JVM 410H, I tried to like it but I wish it was a TSL with a 4th channel and a better footswitch.
Hy8Wfcj.jpg
I traded my jvm410 . It just wouldn’t open up like my other Marshall’s and I play loud with my band . Or did . Nice stacks !

25 years ago I would totally scoff at one. Used to sell them when they were new so had a lot of experience with them. I would say with how many amazing pedals there are now it makes a great pedal platform amp. I’d rather get high gain, boosting the green channel set to crunch than use the red channel. It’s impossible to balance the two channels with how differently they are voiced so it’s worthless as a channel switching amp. The red channel can actually get some almost fuzz like tones when you crank the gain. Fu Manchu used them live for years and even though they probably used fuzzes they always got a killer sound with them. Even though they’re still not too expensive used, I would rather get a Ceriatone or other 800 clone and hit it with a pedal.

If the choice is between a JVM or the DSL series I'll take the JVM but not a huge fan of either.

It’s like how people are trying to suddenly say that 900’s are some misunderstood jewel. They’re not. Bottom line, Marshall lost there way trying to grow beyond 6 knobs and get into higher gain territory that was being soaked up by modders, Boogie and newer kids on the block like Soldano and VHT. The Jubilee was the best attempt. They still haven’t made a high gain amp that sounds better than a boost hitting a 6 knobber.

It’s like how people are trying to suddenly say that 900’s are some misunderstood jewel. They’re not. Bottom line, Marshall lost there way trying to grow beyond 6 knobs and get into higher gain territory that was being soaked up by modders, Boogie and newer kids on the block like Soldano and VHT. The Jubilee was the best attempt. They still haven’t made a high gain amp that sounds better than a boost hitting a 6 knobber.
@skoora 💯My buddy and I each bought a JCM 900 4100 w/ 5881's new back in the day. I used to think it was a cool amp until I stepped up into a Boogie. A couple months back, my buddy needed me to re-tube/bias his 900. I got to play with it for a few hours.

The clean channel was good, the distortion was meh. It lacked the low end guttural punch that my Mark IV rev A delivers in spades. At the current used prices, I'd steer anyone away from a 900 and tell them to seek out a Mark IV around the $1k price range. It's well worth it.

I have a JCM 2000 DSL 100 and agree with you. It’s a great amp. Go easy on the Gain controls and hit it with a boost and it will hang with any other rock amp out there.

i mean its not my favorite amp or anything, but thats honestly probably more to do with it being run of the mill and not being the sexiest choice rather than a tone thing, it hangs right there with any of my "better" amps. i have a 12at7 or whatever thats supposed to go into v1 to taper the gain a little more i havent tried yet.

Back