Soooo Marshall... who would have thought?

I’ve had a great time with 900s, DSLs, JVMs… people always shit on all those series, but the handful of newschool Marshalls I’ve owned have all delivered.
What's peoples main beef with the JVM's ?

I didn’t like how it never opens up like my other Marshalls. It just won’t . I liked the tone but jamming love it didn’t open like my other ones at all .my TSL still does . But it’s not a bad amp . Just didn’t do that and I really love that about old Marshall’s

Reactions: ccn
They sound very artificial/like hearing a recording of an amp. They can sound good on their own, but AB it with a JCM800, SLP, JTM45 (even the reissues of those amps) like I’ve done and it’s very obvious/exposed and bad sounding comparatively imho. They basically sound like a recording of a good Marshall to me

Reactions: ccn
I think Marshall attempted to incorporate all Marshalls of every era into the JVM's because there is so much tweaking available with them . I know many find that off putting .

I myself don't care much for the modern sound I much prefer vintage sounding Marshalls .

I think Marshall attempted to incorporate all Marshalls of every era into the JVM's because there is so much tweaking available with them . I know many find that off putting .

I myself don't care much for the modern sound I much prefer vintage sounding Marshalls .
I don’t find that stuff off putting. I give everything a chance and for me it just didn’t deliver. I have a few modern amps that I think are great in their own ways, but the vast majority that I’ve tried also for me didn’t deliver. The ideal sound for me would probably be something more modern yet still with all the rawness and nuances of the great vintage amps. I’ve yet to try any amp that has that combo, but the closest to me have been my c+ & good modded Marshall’s

They sound very artificial/like hearing a recording of an amp. They can sound good on their own, but AB it with a JCM800, SLP, JTM45 (even the reissues of those amps) like I’ve done and it’s very obvious/exposed and bad sounding comparatively imho. They basically sound like a recording of a good Marshall to me
Playing with a loud drummer you really see where the JVM is different

The JVM’s tightness and effortless gain initially sound good but then the lack of real character starts eating away at you. Plus all the settings don’t sound like different Marshall’s. Just the same gain structure and tone stack at low to high levels. Live, they get the job done, from an audience perspective, as do the DSL’s. I just wouldn’t enjoy playing either long term.

Back