Best Recorded SLO-100 tones

That KSE one is always the stand out for me. However, I’ve never been truly blown away by what I’ve heard recorded. I’m still yet to play an SLO myself, and want to. Just don’t want to pay 3k and be totally let down as I’ve been by many other boutique heads.

This is a great question. I honestly can’t tell you what recordings are SLO. Lynch Mob for sure. But as far as EVH, even though that’s not your bag, couldn’t tell you. I’d like to think Balance was a WDW setup with Soldanos and the H3000 stereo detune.

I don’t know how anyone would discern between that and a 5150 on the recording, but I’d go with that as my favorite.

Every other band’s recording I thought was a SLO turned out to be some variation of a modded Marshall or CAE preamp, etc.

Also, I think maybe Richie Sambora played an SLO on the Bed of Roses solo. Like the tone on that one.

Re: Ratt's Detonator stuff posted above... that record was almost 100 percent Marshall)

This track from the self titled 1999 record is straight up SLO though:

Wrong. There’s SLO all over Detonator. That doesn’t sound like Marshall like the first three albums do. Marshall Super Lead first three albums, but the Soldano is there by the fourth on.

Ratt EVH Scorpions Great White Gary Moore Govt Mule. I think Warren Hayes is still playing one. In my opinion the best amp ever made!

Wrong. There’s SLO all over Detonator. That doesn’t sound like Marshall like the first three albums do. Marshall Super Lead first three albums, but the Soldano is there by the fourth on.
No. The only SLO used on Detonator is the slide solo on the track "All or Nothing." From Warren's account way back then, he started recording Detonator with a different amp, but then a few weeks into making that record, the Marshall he wanted to use was finally working again, and he re-did the guitar tracks with that Marshall.

No. The only SLO used on Detonator is the slide solo on the track "All or Nothing." From Warren's account way back then, he started recording Detonator with a different amp, but then a few weeks into making that record, the Marshall he wanted to use was finally working again, and he re-did the guitar tracks with that Marshall.
Still disagree. I’ve read alternate versions to what you’ve said here. I’m not saying the Marshall ain’t in there, but the tone on Shame, Shame, Shame has SLO DNA all over it.

My impressions of this circuit in my limited experience is that it's super saturated and compressed.
My #1 example would be the FUCK Album..

Whatever Warren is using on the Reach For The Sky album works for me . Not my favorite Ratt album but that’s definitely my favorite tone from him especially on No Surprise

I’m pretty sure the SLO is well represented on these two albums
1670482979237.jpeg

1670482852829.jpeg

Last edited:
I've always heard that it was his classic Marshall and a 5150

I'm obsessed with the tones and production of that album

I've heard the same. And enough clips using gear trying to get that sound that I believe it to be the case. The Eventide does most of the heavy lifting for that sound.

Thread bump . I was reading an old issue of Guitar World from January `91 today and Warren said he used a Marshall 100 watt Plexi on Detonator . No mention of the SLO

Back