I did something really bold today to one of my guitars

Nice job! I will say though, while I’ve not tried many recent made mini-humbuckers, IME some of those ‘60’s mini-humbuckers (not the Gibson ones though, not as good ime) are some of the best pickups of all time (for me at least). Not as powerful as full humbuckers like others say, but the most rude, raw sounding pickups out there with more complex, nuanced tone. I’m a huge fan and part of why the ‘64 Riviera is my favorite vintage guitar I’ve had (even over my ‘60’s & ‘50’s Gibsons)

Awesome guitar . Just curious about mini humbuckers , are they inferior to full size bucks ?
Absolutely not! Big misconception. Maybe some of the new ones could be, but some of the ‘60’s ones have the most raw/rude/nasty tone in any pickup type with a more nuanced tone than full humbuckers, but not as powerful. They require the player to do a bit more, rather than do the heavy lifting for you

Last edited:
definitely have their own sound. I find them a little trebly and thinner sounding than a full size, but YMMV. would be a cool neck pickup.
They can be for sure, but some of the best vintage ones imo have many tonal advantages as well over full size humbuckers. Both have their place. For all out nastiness, especially with a punkish flavor, mini-hums all the way imo over regular hums

I love Firebirds. But I hate mini humbuckers.

So I was playing my Firebird today and I thought to myself…”self, this guitar would sound killer with a Duncan JB in the bridge!”

I pulled out the bridge pickup and started doing some figuring and planning and decided to go for it!!

The good thing was that the mini hum route is the same width as a regular humbucker. So I just make it a little longer.

It actually wasn’t too hard. I used one of those vibrating cutting tools and my Dremel.

It turned out perfect. I even impressed myself. Lol.

Now this Bird is a Bad Ass!!!

View attachment 150295

View attachment 150292View attachment 150298View attachment 150301View attachment 150304View attachment 150307View attachment 150310

I love Firebirds. But I hate mini humbuckers.

So I was playing my Firebird today and I thought to myself…”self, this guitar would sound killer with a Duncan JB in the bridge!”

I pulled out the bridge pickup and started doing some figuring and planning and decided to go for it!!

The good thing was that the mini hum route is the same width as a regular humbucker. So I just make it a little longer.

It actually wasn’t too hard. I used one of those vibrating cutting tools and my Dremel.

It turned out perfect. I even impressed myself. Lol.

Now this Bird is a Bad Ass!!!

View attachment 150295

View attachment 150292View attachment 150298View attachment 150301View attachment 150304View attachment 150307View attachment 150310

It IS kinda fun to do, isn't it? 1599575845358.jpg

It's funny . It seems in the 70's there were tons of Les Paul deluxes with mini humbuckers . Now you don't see them even for sale as much.

Everytime I look at a Firebird I think "How could that possibly not sound good?" And that's with minis. With a bridge humbucker its gotta be a tone machine.

Was thinking of doing this to my FB V years ago. But then I`ve found a FB studio that came stock with full sized HBs and a SH4 in the bridge position.
Lately I was experimenting with mini HBs (not FB PUs) in my V and liked it a lot. They sit right between the FB PUs and full sized HBs.

WHAT DOES BEING FROM MICHIGAN HAVE TO DO WITH IT? LOL:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:
BRO! It has EVERYTHING to do with being from Michigan! You might as well be from an entirely different plane of existence! When I talk to Michiganeans (mish-ah-gaw-knee-uns) it sounds like the teacher on Charlie Brown!

It’s like you guys speak an indecipherable code .Ever since I found out you are a Michiganean I always pictured you spending long and hard hours translating your posts on rigtalk from your native Michiganish to English and felt so proud that a fellow rigtalk brother would take the time to translate his complex speech pattern and foreign language to English for us. It’s been so educational bro. Thanks.

Back