What guitar solo are you working on right this second?

Matt300ZXT

Alright fellow string slingin' guitar wankers....what is the solo you guys are currently working on to improve your chops?

I have a round of solos I am currently working on to cover different styles, scales used, techniques, etc...but currently, right this second, I'm working on Egypt by Mercyful Fate. Let's hear em boys (and girls).

Currently it's Vai's "Die To Live" and most of Andy Timmons' "Resolution" album. Loads of great licks and lines to get under my fingers.

Skynyrd's I Know a Little, because it's super cool & that swing time feel is weak point for me.

The opening bit from Technical Difficulties, because I used to be able to execute it decently.

Bits and pieces of the SRV version of Little Wing, because I have a strat that sounds good playing it.

A lot of pieces I've written, but gotten sloppy on in the last year or two.

Reactions: PDC
I’ve honestly never copied a recorded solo in my 40+ years of playing.

I’ve copied phrases of solos when I played in a cover band when I was young, but after playing in an original band for 20 years, the urge to dissect other players left me.

I really do appreciate you guys that do this to improve your chops or gain insight into the way other player approach the instrument.

Trying to cop some of Andy Wood's solos off of his live version of Hag's Makeup and Faded Blue Jeans, working on coming up with some better versions of a couple of Whiskey Myers tunes. Going to try to learn some "shreddier" licks this week too, i've been trying to use some string-skipping licks, they sound really cool, I just haven't really gotten them down yet.

Ha, usually I don't fuck with learning many solos but the other day I heard Darkness by Rage Against the Machine and I learned that solo for fun

Reactions: Geo
Sykes: “Cryin’ in the Rain” is a constant struggle. I can get most of the sections reasonably close all by themselves - but stringing all the sections together? Smoothly? Fuuuccckkk…

I‘ve watched vids of folks pulling it off in one take with the original recording rolling in the background. They have my undying respect.

Working on two, wasp animal and the live version of Sykes still of the night 1995. Trying to improve my ear with the second one slowly but surely.

Yngwie’s “You don’t remember, I’ll never forget”. It’s not that hard, but there are a few parts that aren’t very fluid, so I’m working on it. Maybe I’ll post a video of it.

I was watching some videos of him playing it…. He has played it differently through the years.

So many haters out there, but DAMN this guy really re-set the boundaries.
I'll see guys who can pull off EVH, Vai, Petrucci, or Paul Gilbert with a fair amount of authenticity, which is always impressive.

But it really blows my mind when I hear someone copping Yngwie licks, coming anywhere close.

2:12 if you scroll- I'd check the whole thing though. Sam plays so clean with scalpel like precision, The Band kicks ass.

Getting the last solo (Kirk's solo) in Master Of Puppets up to speed - mainly working on originals at the moment but that's one I've meant to and never got down 100% correct and up to speed over the years.

Back