WOW In Flames is BACK!

I don't know if I'd say they're "back" yet, but it's a step in the right direction. They're definitely back to Come Clarity, Soundtrack era, but until they put out another Jester Race sounding album I wouldn't say they're back.

Say what you guys want, those riffs and songs are killer. If you think they are going to put out another jesters race, you’ll be waiting just as long as you’re waiting for Metallica to put out another master of puppets. Compared to their last few releases, this is light years ahead as far as songwriting alone, not sure how that’s not being heard here. The mix is absolutely nothing like com clarity etc either, wasn’t a fan of those at all.

While those riffs do sound closer to what made us all fall in love with In Flames, I'm with these guys....not quite there but it's a big step in the right direction. But let's just say what's on everyone's mind: Polyphia sucks 🤣

Now THAT is something we all can agree on!

I don't know about comparing it to Clayman or others they've done, but these 2 songs were pretty cool. I will give the album some spins and see how it sticks. Chris Broderick is always fun to listen to.

As songs they sound pretty good to me. Just not a fan of the typical modern, compressed to shit drums *cough* software. It’s a fatiguing mix.

As songs they sound pretty good to me. Just not a fan of the typical modern, compressed to shit drums *cough* software. It’s a fatiguing mix.

The drums are too fake for me on this at times as well,‘I agree. The snare when doing rolls is hillarious. Still, I’ll take all of this over the last 15+ years of records they have made by a fucking mile.

dig that first track but the second one is the same oof material theyve been doing for the past two decades

The new songs are definitely an improvement for the band. There are some absolutely monstrous riffs in there too which warms my cold black heart.

I'm probably never going to hold my breath waiting for them to make an album that can touch the Clayman / Colony pair of records (or Jester Race / Whorale for that matter) but very glad they're taking this direction again now.

Last edited:
The drums are too fake for me on this at times as well,‘I agree. The snare when doing rolls is hillarious. Still, I’ll take all of this over the last 15+ years of records they have made by a fucking mile.
Yeah, samples for this sort of stuff really stick out when drums are that active.

But I agree, I thought these tunes were pretty good. Nowhere close to Clayman but that was a special album. Wonder how Broderick landed that gig...seems like he sort of faded away for a while and now is back. Amazing player though.

i was obsessed with in frames from 98 to 04. when jesper left, it was a wrap. That poor guy can't hold a band together for more than one or two records either. idk if its substance or depression or just bad luck.
This stuff, sounds like Nergal's description of current metal. boring and robotic. Software polished and forgettable. This style of metal is kinda over anyway. I loved it to death in the years i listed, but there is not much more you can do with that sped up, heavied up, iron maiden with dirty
vocals thing.

i really wish i didn't feel this way because there is no shortage of music LIKE this, i'm just bored to death with it.

Back