UPDATE-1983 JCM 800 2203 gut shot- normal or modded?

I'll give you two easy reasons to use them:

1) They look the closest to a vintage capacitor. I like that.

2) They are extremely reliable with a low failure rate, in my experience. I buy them in cartons of 50 at a time and have yet to have any issues at all.

Ok, 3 reasons. They sound great as well.

Fryette said ARS are rebrands..
Unless people can actually backup their opinions with facts instead of broscience, I'd get what you want..

ARS has been around making mil-spec caps longer than Fryette has been an amp business. Did you know ARS used to make vacuum tubes under contract?

The dude that runs ARS is old school and they make their own stock. Maybe Fryette got ahold of Chinese garbage pretending to be ARS but wherever this rumor started it’s unjustified and needs to be backed up with hard facts or dropped otherwise.

I’m also qualified with five engineering degrees and decades of experience to say what’s quality and what isn’t.

I personally use ARS exclusively where I can. I’ll use F&T as a close second and only for preamp filters and nowhere else.

It's been my experience that Engineer's can't play or fix shit..
But they won't miss a beat to tell everyone how awesome they are..
SO unless you have a world renowned Brand, I'll take Fryette's word for it..
Have nice day..

It's been my experience that Engineer's can't play or fix shit..
But they won't miss a beat to tell everyone how awesome they are..
SO unless you have a world renowned Brand, I'll take Fryette's word for it..
Have nice day..

Funny thing about Straw man fallacies. They make those who use them look like an internet troll when someone else is smart enough to point them out.

And for you to be so strongly opinionated, why would you need to lean on the opinion of fryette for your own baseless opinion about capacitors? Oh that’s right. it’s almost like you’re talking about something you know absolutely fucking nothing about in a forum section you don’t fucking belong in.

Have a nice day. Ass.

What’s the issue with rebranding provided you aren’t getting screwed on price or quality? TAD rebrands tubes, caps, ect. I have Mullards from the 60’s rebranded as amprex so it’s nothing new. As long as they are reliable, consistent and competitively priced I don’t see where the issue is. I don’t think IC’s are rebranded and they make some junk shit and good stuff just ask any fender owner.

ARS makes their own capacitors as far as I'm aware. But years ago, their tubes were rebranded JJ. That's what Bogner used to use.

As far as evidence goes for why I like them more? I dunno... I've tried JJ, F&T, ARS, Nichicon, Panasonic, Sprague, Philips, and a bunch of others. I think modern snap-in electrolytics from Panasonic and Epcos are world class and technically better, smaller, cheaper, longer-lasting, and more reliable than anything else. However they don't really fit in tube amps unless we're talking PCBs that were designed (spaced) specifically for them. So for dual-section electrolytic cans that are meant to replace vintage parts, ARS are the best ones currently available IMO. They sound better than F&T and JJ to my ears, they are reliable, and affordable. What more do you want?

Bogner uses them. Marshall uses them. A bunch of other amp companies have used and still use ARS caps.

Last edited:
Congrats man. Glad it worked out and issue was resolved.

I’ve seen some really whacky stuff done to these vintage Marshalls over the years. Never know who’s been in there and/or what they were thinking.

Back