Should I change out the EMG's?

peterc52

I have this completely original Gibson LPC Lite from 88 with EMG 81's. I can't figure out if I want to stray from its originality and remove EMG's for something passive -which I want to but....

It's a rare bird.

I use it for my Mastodon cover band and im sure passive would fit better.

BTW. Old EMG 81's definitely sounds different than the newer ones. More low end and less highs.
IMG_2696.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2698.jpg
    IMG_2698.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
I would keep it stock or try out plug and play EMG replacements
This. I grow tired of 81/85's pretty quick. However, I really dug the Het Set I had in an Explorer. They were fantastic, (for my tastes). Nice chunk, great clarity, and a more passive feel. Same with the 57/66.

However, I still prefer Fluence Moderns. BUT, I could live with the Het Set, no problem.

FWIW, Bill from Mastodon has a couple LPC’s with EMGs he uses on tour (I’m guessing the studio, too, if needed).

If it works, it works, but there’s also no harm in trying out other shit! I really love the 81/85 in my Edwards, but I also really, REALLY love the Aldrich in my Orville. If I were primarily doing the Mastodon thing, I’d definitely go with the Aldrich because I feel it’s a bit more versatile than the EMGs….though I’m often surprised how great the EMGs sound with lower gain shit.

I have this completely original Gibson LPC Lite from 88 with EMG 81's. I can't figure out if I want to stray from its originality and remove EMG's for something passive -which I want to but....

It's a rare bird.

I use it for my Mastodon cover band and im sure passive would fit better.

BTW. Old EMG 81's definitely sounds different than the newer ones. More low end and less highs.View attachment 167014
the matching headstock binding and golden paint look amazing on that guitar, pretty sweet

I would keep them in the ESP, but change to Passive in the Goldie..
I'd try some Vintage Outputs in there in a 50's wiring so you can get clean rollback and all the in between tones.

Depends on the tone you want from the guitars.
IF you want a more modern sound, leave them in (I love EMG81-x's in my guitars to get my modern tone)
But if you're looking to mix it up, and get a different tone from these guitars, then switch them.
Could be fun finding the right ones

If I wanted to try something different, yes, I would probably take out the EMG’s, wires, pots, everything, keep them connected as much as possible and keep them together in a safe place. Then you could put all the original components back in if you wanted.

Back