Mark VII is not plussed

It will be interesting to how different the compression of mark 7 is ? Did they go back and open it up or keep compression more and more like the trend
That is the million dollar question! If it is big, raw and punchy like an old Mark in the Mark modes....then it will be a super versatile, killer amp. We will find out soon enough, because enough guys have owned(own) old Marks to know how the new one will stack up. Like I say....optimistic, but I will either need plenty of reviews or better, trying one out to decide.

Plus, for me, there are other amps I have interest in. Have the Uber Ultra coming. Also interested in the Ecstasy Pandora. New Ultra-lead on the way. Or do I finally bite the bullet and get a Wizard. Lol

That is the million dollar question! If it is big, raw and punchy like an old Mark in the Mark modes....then it will be a super versatile, killer amp. We will find out soon enough, because enough guys have owned(own) old Marks to know how the new one will stack up. Like I say....optimistic, but I will either need plenty of reviews or better, trying one out to decide.

Plus, for me, there are other amps I have interest in. Have the Uber Ultra coming. Also interested in the Ecstasy Pandora. New Ultra-lead on the way. Or do I finally bite the bullet and get a Wizard. Lol
Mesa hasn’t made a truly raw sounding amp in over 20 years. I have no reason to believe that all of sudden the mark 7 will be that unicorn non-vintage amp that somehow sounds raw & organic. If anything I’m predicting it’ll be less raw than even the JP2C. The only high gain amps period I’ve tried made in the last 20 years that sounded anywhere near raw has just been the wizards & Naylor’s, which are close, but still not actually as raw as vintage amps. At least the Uber Ultra doesn’t need to live up to being raw since even the original version Uberschall (which I have) isn’t a raw sounding amp

Get a Wizard MTL2 lol just saying man. That and Hermansson are my two favs

Mesa hasn’t made a truly raw sounding amp in over 20 years. I have no reason to believe that all of sudden the mark 7 will be that unicorn non-vintage amp that somehow sounds raw & organic. If anything I’m predicting it’ll be less raw than even the JP2C. The only high gain amps period I’ve tried made in the last 20 years that sounded anywhere near raw has just been the wizards & Naylor’s, which are close, but still not actually as raw as vintage amps. At least the Uber Ultra doesn’t need to live up to being raw since even the original version Uberschall (which I have) isn’t a raw sounding amp
True....but one can hope, right? Haha!
The JP-2C is definitely a bigger and punchier sounding amp than the MK5, but still doesn't have the kerrang my old mkivA had or the mkiii's and the couple C+'s I have tried did. Maybe it just can't be done anymore....or maybe the only way is a simple vintage circuit.

Like, my dad, who is almost 80, has a '71 Plexi. That beast is raw! Lol! It also has this amazing feel when you get that amp turned up and it is always punchy and clear. So, I think our definition on raw and organic is probably on the same page. That said, there are obvious limitations with a NMV beast like that as well, so I guess there will always be some sacrificing.

Get a Wizard MTL2 lol just saying man. That and Hermansson are my two favs
That is where I am leaning. Finally had a chance to try a Wizard and I will say it actually exceeded my expectations....which doesn't happen often. I can imagine the MTL is intense. I tried the MC2 and that thing can get vicious. I also loved the way it felt and responded: notes and chords jump out immediate, loud and proud, but I never felt like I had to fight the amp. So ya, I want one! Lol!

I have been intrigued by the Hermansson stuff as well. No idea on shipping + modding prices, but I could pick up an old rev g recto for a good price and also have a line on a 2203.

True....but one can hope, right? Haha!
The JP-2C is definitely a bigger and punchier sounding amp than the MK5, but still doesn't have the kerrang my old mkivA had or the mkiii's and the couple C+'s I have tried did. Maybe it just can't be done anymore....or maybe the only way is a simple vintage circuit.

Like, my dad, who is almost 80, has a '71 Plexi. That beast is raw! Lol! It also has this amazing feel when you get that amp turned up and it is always punchy and clear. So, I think our definition on raw and organic is probably on the same page. That said, there are obvious limitations with a NMV beast like that as well, so I guess there will always be some sacrificing.
Yes trust me, I want a raw, organic sounding new amp to come out as much as you do and I’d be the first to say it beats my various vintage amps, but I think we have a better chance of it snowing tomorrow in Florida or Hawaii and my money wouldn’t be on a current made Boogie amp to do it lol. After trying so many amps (a few of which got very close) I think it’s just either very hard to do or not possible. Would be better imo to just see something different/modern that’s equally good or better in its own way. There are few examples like that here and there, but none of the recent Mesa’s are that really

I’ve got a 1972 Marshall SuperLead 100 myself and it’s exactly how you describe your dad’s 1971 Marshall. I think though the ‘50’s amps get even a bit rawer. The epitome of raw to me is a cranked ‘50’s Fender Tweed Champ. Amazingly ballsy also for just a 5w amp

I think an even bigger problem with this amp is the lack of a global master volume.
I agree. With Mark, you can really drive the channel and keep the master lower for super saturated sounds. Or turn the drive down and turn up the master for less saturated sound.

When I had a few 2C++ amps I was always changing the channel volumes and master volume. I liked the different tones I was able to achieve.

I'm a bit clueless on the IIc+ so what does the + offer ?
Mike B and another guy (forget his name) took a 2C amp and tinkered with it to get more gain out of it while Smith was away. It was called a 2C+. So their most fabled amp isn't a total Randall Smith design. :ROFLMAO:

It will be interesting to how different the compression of mark 7 is ? Did they go back and open it up or keep compression more and more like the trend
For real. Sold my IV after not being able to hear any discernible difference in strumming (a) normally and (b) next to the bridge, where it should sound thinner/tinnier. It didn’t at all. Not a very touch sensitive amp, either. 2C+ better in all aspects.

That is where I am leaning. Finally had a chance to try a Wizard and I will say it actually exceeded my expectations....which doesn't happen often. I can imagine the MTL is intense. I tried the MC2 and that thing can get vicious. I also loved the way it felt and responded: notes and chords jump out immediate, loud and proud, but I never felt like I had to fight the amp. So ya, I want one! Lol!

I have been intrigued by the Hermansson stuff as well. No idea on shipping + modding prices, but I could pick up an old rev g recto for a good price and also have a line on a 2203.
For real. Sold my IV after not being able to hear any discernible difference in strumming (a) normally and (b) next to the bridge, where it should sound thinner/tinnier. It didn’t at all. Not a very touch sensitive amp, either. 2C+ better in all aspects.
My self I prefer the green stripe with ++ mod best . But I feel ya

Off topic but I have a Mark III and it was the first real amp I ever bought 29 years ago. Still own it and I'll never sell it. I know I'm old fart as I'll be 46 tomorrow. but how can I determine the stripe? Also, I was thinking about sending it Mesa for a refresh. Does Mesa still do that?

Yes trust me, I want a raw, organic sounding new amp to come out as much as you do and I’d be the first to say it beats my various vintage amps, but I think we have a better chance of it snowing tomorrow in Florida or Hawaii and my money wouldn’t be on a current made Boogie amp to do it lol. After trying so many amps (a few of which got very close) I think it’s just either very hard to do or not possible. Would be better imo to just see something different/modern that’s equally good or better in its own way. There are few examples like that here and there, but none of the recent Mesa’s are that really.

Back