Randy Rhoads 12/06/1956 - 03/19/1982

Your comment alone proves you definitely DID NOT live through that era because none of what you said is true . Eddie was the undisputed king through the entire 80's .
Because, Rhoads died.
Plus, you're forgetting that there was Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen also that rivaled EVH .

It got to the point that 3 out 10 bands, had the equivalents of a Viruoso in their band.
In that era, Shredders were practically growing on trees and the 1980's, it was a forest of virtuoso.

Not that I was trying to tarnish EVH Legacy or belittle it to the point of Ted Nugent's legacy .

used to l

lived in redlands too! scored some deals at caleb’s gtrs back in the day.
I used to live at the Central Park Apartments on Central Street, behind the University of Redlands.

Get off the off ramp, turn left on University, do a right, before the railroad tracks or Sylman Park, do a right on to Central Street .

Lots of University gals at the pool .... it was a turkey shoot .
.. if you know what I mean 😄👌

Last edited:
These threads are a dime a dozen . I tend to believe famous people who I know for a fact were there over people on public guitar forums who say they know what the deal was.

Especially when I read things that go directly against what I've heard from people I know for a fact were there like the great George Lynch for example . He has stated numerous times that Edward was the undisputed King all through that era and there was never a disagreement on that .

The great Steve Vai used to be at Frank Zappa's house all the time playing guitar . Dweezil despite always being around to witness it was absolutely OBSESSED with Eddie , that's all he talked about . When Eddie visited the great Jason Becker at his home Jason's parents told Eddie that Jason says you're the greatest ever . No matter how many other amazing guitarists were around everybody including every guitar publication on the planet focused and obsessed over Eddie . It's not his tapping either, it was the whole package especially his rhythm prowess .

These threads are a dime a dozen . I tend to believe famous people who I know for a fact were there over people on public guitar forums who say they know what the deal was.

Especially when I read things that go directly against what I've heard from people I know for a fact were there like the great George Lynch for example . He has stated numerous times that Edward was the undisputed King all through that era and there was never a disagreement on that .

The great Steve Vai used to be at Frank Zappa's house all the time playing guitar . Dweezil despite always being around to witness it was absolutely OBSESSED with Eddie , that's all he talked about . When Eddie visited the great Jason Becker at his home Jason's parents told Eddie that Jason says you're the greatest ever . No matter how many other amazing guitarists were around everybody including every guitar publication on the planet focused and obsessed over Eddie . It's not his tapping either, it was the whole package especially his rhythm prowess .
Well Eddie was a bad ass man. Of course everyone loved him and was in awe of him. Everyone into guitar and guitar music anyway. Probably Randy Rhoads too, but I somehow don't think Randy ever felt like he was in competition with him.

I was fortunate to attend the first US show on Diary tour . Just 14 yrs old 😊

9E662BA1-BD86-4FAD-8B8A-8583E0BD68AF.jpeg
425414F2-8F99-4A86-8811-8BEED27BE2A3.jpeg

I lived thru that era.
When Randy Rhoads came upon the scene, everyone knew a new Sheriff was in town, when Blizzard Of Oz was released .

When Diary Of A Madman came out, Eddie Van Halen wasn't the talk of the " Town " anymore .

Eddie's technique was replicated to the max, but Randy's compositional style and tone was Zeroxed to death, more so than EVH's .
That’s laughable really. Ed was the one Xeroxed to death. Ripped off is more like it.

Spot fucking on.

Reactions: ccn
This whole thing about who was first with sounding classical or starting tapping really doesn’t matter to me. It’s not a race, but more imo about who actually did it most effectively to serve the music. And for that criteria I don’t think any of these guys were within light years of Randy with his emotional depth his best leads were able to communicate. Honestly Randy coulda chose to have a more jazzy, bluesy, country or whatever flavor he wanted to rather than classical and I bet he would’ve been just as effective because he had that rare compositional talent over others in the genre. Just for playing alone many were better, but his gift is way rarer imo. I think many of these others just tried to be classical for the sake of doing it (almost a showy thing) and it just wasn’t too effective imo. Often it was quite cheesy actually, especially with MAB lol
Well, in my defense I simply stated that Blackmore was the first to apply a classical approach in rock guitar. Slightly before Uli Roth. But Randy is easily the first to take it to another level entirely; with YJM doing the same a short time later.
Randy is still one of my favorites over many other players; I listen to DOAM once a month and have for years. He was my first guitar hero; far and away.

Your comment alone proves you definitely DID NOT live through that era because none of what you said is true . Eddie was the undisputed king through the entire 80's .
I'd say EVH had everyone captivatd until about 84... then YJM hit the scene and the rest is history. All these killer players came out of the woodwork. Doesn't matter who they copied, just that they were razzling and dazzling.

Like Beato or not, this is a cool video.

FUCK! Sharon must have had him take down Rhoads! :mad:

I had an English teacher who worked at Fresno's Selland Arena, the venue Ozzy played on January 3rd 1982 .

He told me they had to do extra work to put up special risers for the camera crews that were filming that night .
There were eight cameras according to him, we ( the audience ) counted only five .

Sharon and Ozzy are sitting on that January show in Fresno .

Have any of you guys ever seen the Fresno Selland Arena set video tape of VH opening for Black Sabbath in 1978 ?

The people that recorded that show, recorded Ozzy too.

Last edited:
A little before my time...So I had to go back and investigate Randy some years ago. For my trouble I got an education in:

- Music theory with classical applications in heavy rock and metal
- Totally unique and over the top high gain guitar tones
- percussive and groove oriented rhythm playing with interwoven lead lines
- aggressive, yet hook heavy songwriting

I could go on. Randy changed the way I look at that era of music. There will never be another like him.

I get what you’re saying. While Daisley did aide greatly in constructing the tunes, Randy wrote/constructed his solos completely on his own. Many of his solos are stories within stories. I consider Mr. Crowley to be the greatest metal solo of all time. I still get goosebumps on that solo to this day. Almost moves me to tears in its sheer beauty.
I'm pretty sure I wore out my first Blizzard cassette from constantly rewinding the main solo in Mr. Crowley. The cover bands I've been usually did Crazy Train, but I always wanted to play Mr. Crowley.

Back