Randy Rhoads 12/06/1956 - 03/19/1982

41 years gone but not forgotten.

"A Life Dedicated To Music...An Inspiration For All Young People"

EwzOAEyVoAAWoXY.jpg

My off-ramp going to work was near Mt. Vernon and Highland, so I’d drive past there everyday. I’m kinda surprised the family chose San Bernardino, as they lived in Burbank (iirc).

I don't think it was nervousness, Eddie could rip. It was jealousy because someone else was capturing the spotlight and people weren't just nut hugging him anymore. Eddie was a game changer and he deserves all the credit he got.
You'll get no argument from me there.

I like Randy just fine, but to say Ed was interested ? No, Ed was into Clapton and Holdsworth. To say Rhoads played with more fire than Ed ? I don’t agree. These comparisons are silly to a certain point anyway because it’s all opinion. I just don’t agree with the ones posted here, doesn’t make me wrong or right, it’s all just opinion. Neither Ed or Randy are here to ask them so it’s moot anyway. But to say Randy influenced the world of rock guitar as much as EVH ? That one is pure BS. The whole of the 80s and a good chunk of the 90s was OWNED by EVH and his strat style creations, the graphics, gained out Marshalls… I didnt see legions of dudes jamming Rhoads guitars like you did with the whole super strat thing. EVH was like Hendrix before him, his sphere of influence really transcended guitar and impacted pop culture. Rhoads never got close to that.

I like Randy just fine, but to say Ed was interested ? No, Ed was into Clapton and Holdsworth. To say Rhoads played with more fire than Ed ? I don’t agree. These comparisons are silly to a certain point anyway because it’s all opinion. I just don’t agree with the ones posted here, doesn’t make me wrong or right, it’s all just opinion. Neither Ed or Randy are here to ask them so it’s moot anyway. But to say Randy influenced the world of rock guitar as much as EVH ? That one is pure BS. The whole of the 80s and a good chunk of the 90s was OWNED by EVH and his strat style creations, the graphics, gained out Marshalls… I didnt see legions of dudes jamming Rhoads guitars like you did with the whole super strat thing. EVH was like Hendrix before him, his sphere of influence really transcended guitar and impacted pop culture. Rhoads never got close to that.
You must have been following the wrong music scene….Rhoads V’s were very plentiful in metal.

I didn't say half that stuff. Ed was definitely interested though. He was seen buying his records and he was seen checking out QR on the strip.

As to some of Ed's "Claims", there's this.

Eddie Van Halen on Randy Rhoads

Featured snippet from the web​

In additional archive audio, Van Halen can be heard discussing Rhoads himself, saying, “He was one guitarist who was honest, anyway. Because he said everything he did he learned from me. “He was good,” Van Halen continues. “But I don't really think he did anything that I haven't done.Apr 28, 2022

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/randy-rhoads-eddie-van-halen-rivalry-documentary

Very hard to disagree with these points. The fact that everyone was tapping proves this. Did other people do it before EVH? Yes...but did they do it gained out and close to the way he did it? I don't think so. But then, they started to. Including RR

Very hard to disagree with these points. The fact that everyone was tapping proves this. Did other people do it before EVH? Yes...but did they do it gained out and close to the way he did it? I don't think so. But then, they started to. Including RR
When did Randy tap ? What song(s) specifically ? Because I'm pretty sure he didn't.

Back