Metallica: 72 Seasons - Official Video - 8 goddamn minutes and 38 seconds

Sounds a bit like a watered down Spit out the Bone/Hardwired title track. Starts out like Black Magic by Slayer lol. I liked a few moments of the vocal melody during the chorus but thats it. Rest is garbage.

Yeah they kinda redeemed themselves here after the last couple duds...I too immediately thought this sounded like something from Hardwire.

I listened to it very early this morning...garbage. then I gave it another try...average. Now I'm repeating certain parts of it in my head...so it's definitely growing on me. The verse riff and vocals have a nice swagger. I had a similar reaction to the last two as well, whereas Lux Aeterna I found to be instantly solid on first listen. I still have hope for a decent Metallica album.

this is much better than the other songs, the guitars though just sound.. weak??

Totally agree. It's easily the best track I've heard from this album so far (I can tell because I actually caught myself slightly bobbing my head to some of the parts instead of just sitting there grimacing like I did with the other tracks, lol)...

BUT... something about the guitar tone just makes it complete trash. I can't put my finger on exactly what, but I really, really hate it. It's not even in the same universe as their guitar tone in previous records.

this is much better than the other songs, the guitars though just sound.. weak??
I feel like they have placed too much trust and control in the hands and ears of Greg Fidleman. He definitely leans in the direction of these really dry, under-gained and somewhat thin sounding rhythm guitar tones (a technique he picked up from Rubin I assume). I understand that he's going for clarity and cut, and that's definitely there, but Metallica requires a bit more muscle in the gain and low mids for their guitar sound in my opinion. James' tone on the 72 seasons singles released so far sounds like my Diezel VH4 on channel 3 with the gain at about noon or 1 o'clock. Its a pleasing "hard rock" sound, but maybe not appropriate for Metallica.

Okay, I definitely like this one. Great pace and being such a long song I didn't get bored with it. It flows well and doesn't sound like a riff salad like that other one. Also feels like Hammett put some effort into the leads.

Maybe it's the speakers I was listening to it through, but where is the girth? This one NEEDS to hit you hard in the chest to get it's full impact. Finally a good song from this album and they flub the mix.

ive seen them discuss toxic masculinity in their old albums in a seemingly negative light, sounds like they didnt want any of that in this new stuff

Speaking of trash and quite befitting of Metallica's current offerings, this little ditty succinctly describes the change in Hetfield's guitar tone.

Back