Metallica: 72 Seasons - Official Video - 8 goddamn minutes and 38 seconds

I do agree, A LOT of mids. That said, it's just different, which I kind of like. I will say, cranked through quality monitors and it's not quite as thin as you would think. Plenty of room for the bass though. 🤣

PSA: listening through your phone is crap and if you're doing that just keep your thoughts to yourself. đź’©

It’s thin and sounds oddly mixed through my monitors. I don’t know if I agree listening on a phone is crap, it’s just the reality of how people listen to music in 2023 and your mixes need to translate. A lot big mixers go to their iPhone first thing now to check levels

They should have moved on from Lars years ago, Kirk too. Progressive rock/metal needs inventive drummers, Lars is garbage.

They should have moved on from Lars years ago, Kirk too. Progressive rock/metal needs inventive drummers, Lars is garbage.

You know, Lars was really solid for a long time. I kind of liked how he didn't use anything beyond amateur fills or anything like that, and I even dug his whole signature thing where he hits the symbols a beat after where you'd expect the crash to be. Yes I know he didn't do that by choice, but because that's all he could do because he's not a technically proficient drummer. But who cares? He was almost like a heavy metal Phil Rudd in a way. Lars was just a solid, no nonsense metal drummer, and he always seemed like he was having a great time, too.

But lately he sounds like he wants to be in a a drunken dad marching band or something. He just bangs away on that snare in an obnoxious galloping pattern all the time and christ it's awful.

Last edited:
You know, Lars was really solid for a long time. I kind of liked liked how he didn't use anything beyond amateur fills or anything like that, and I even dug his whole signature thing where he hits the symbols a beat after where you'd expect the crash to be. Yes I know he didn't do that by choice. That's all he could do because he's not a technically proficient drummer. But who cares? He was a solid drummer, and he seemed like he was having a great time doing it.

But lately he sounds like he wants to be in a a drunken dad marching band or something. He just bangs away on that snare in an obnoxious galloping pattern all the time and christ it's awful.
You hit the nail on the St. Anger snare

Why ? How does James go from the tone on justice and black Album to this. Get these guys some real tape

The answer to that question... it's because the band changed producers.

I'm also guessing there's the very real possibility that the members of the band, all being around 60 years old and having spent a lifetime around heavy metal, are all just deaf as a post now and couldn't hear good tone even if they tried, so they have to rely on their producers to take care of that. And if that's the case, well...

Now they've got Greg Fidleman at the helm, who seems to be entirely unable to put a good metal guitar tone to tape despite working with the biggest metal band of all time and having as close to an infinite budget as it's possible to get these days. It's kind of unbelievable, really.

I wonder what would happen if Metallica actually worked with some of the other better known metal producers around like Andy Sneap or Fredrik Nordstrom, etc.

Last edited:
meh
I got to 3:00 and had to turn it off.
That's with 2 min of intro though.
I've just grown out of Metallica
Outside of RTL, MOP and Black
Better than a lot of new stuff these days I suppose
It is not truck worthy, meaning I don't see myself cruising down the road to this. :dunno:
They need to put the Metal back in Metallica

Last edited:
meh
I got to 3:00 and had to turn it off.
That's with 2 min of intro though.
I've just grown out of Metallica
Outside of RTL, MOP and Black
Better than a lot of new stuff these days I suppose
It is not truck worthy, meaning I don't see myself cruising down the road to this. :dunno:
They need to put the Metal back Metallica
Lol, just shy of 3min for me. Loud overbearing drums with that weird as shit guitar tone they get now. I bet some MOP tone is sounding pretty good right now for all the naysayers on Legend metal…lol
They really need to nip in the bud these long intro’s. They go nowhere and when an average song kicks in after waiting through the intro a 17 year old would have made after just getting his first 4 track, you just hit the stop button. They don’t need to rob any more of my time that I could be spending on here bitching about it!!!!

I think it has some really good parts but as usual it’s not cohesive. The lyrics kinda suck especially the way he tries to make the words “seventy two” fit where it won’t.

Ok... we just need James to quit Metallica and join A7X. His vocals are still good and their riffs are so much better.. lol! But their singer is trash.

BUT... something about the guitar tone just makes it complete trash. I can't put my finger on exactly what, but I really, really hate it. It's not even in the same universe as their guitar tone in previous records.
It's a IIC+ with the gain turned down & no crazy racks / lunchboxes / post. Just how the amp actually sounds. :ROFLMAO:

I like it along with the first two releases. That third song I struggle with. I can't remember the name but has a Wolf and Man feel but is 20 hours long.

I didn't want a HWTSD Pt2 album but it feels like the same vibe and production with even less song development.
'That'll do Greg, just hit record and then you take care of the rest just the same as last time, we'll be on the golf course if you need us to choose a the color palette for the cover.'

I remember when they admitted in interviews that with St. Anger they basically jammed out parts and then edited in Pro tools to make songs. I must remember thinking No Shit Sherlock, we can hear that…lol

I think it has some really good parts but as usual it’s not cohesive. The lyrics kinda suck especially the way he tries to make the words “seventy two” fit where it won’t.
I agree. It also sounds like they were never really in the same room working through how to transition from riff to riff, and part to part. The changes feel abrupt and angular, which can be cool...But doesn't work in this case. Hetfield's riffs are always solid and interesting to me, and his performance is dead on precise as usual. But I'm disappointed in Kirk (as I was on the last record). It's difficult for me to comprehend that this is the same player that composed and performed the lead work on Unforgiven, Bleeding Me, Fade To Black, Outlaw Torn, Four Horseman and Disposable Heroes. I understand his physical abilities and vibrato have always been "challenged"...But the substantive effort is no longer there. There are players who can take decent solos "off the cuff", he's definitely not one of them. And Lars should not be "producing" his leads as he does these days....Bad I idea.

https://loudwire.com/lars-ulrich-comments-metallica-touring-future-another-decade/
Considering the typical 7-8 or so year album cycle, I reckon this album and world touring period could be their last big hurrah into the sunset years. They're in relatively good health now but in another 10 years it could be a different story. I can't see why they'd bother to pump out another album in 7-8 years and then not want to tour it anyway. They don't need more money from another albums' sales at that point, or even now.
Then again AC/DC, Priest and Maiden are still out there in some form albeit with different members, so maybe it could still roll on, but if Lars is already talking about 10 years left then maybe they won't.

Back