NAD: 1979 Marshall JMP 2203 (pre-Zound!)

itsgoodnow

Hey All,

I was on vacation and had an opportunity to purchase a 1979 JMP 2203 from the original owner. It is fairly close to a time capsule in terms of condition. It has the cleanest chassis I've seen on one this old. I am insanely picky about 2203s because they are my favorite amp and had been looking for a killer sounding clean one for several years. This is the cleanest for its age by far and, more importantly, the best sounding 2203 I have played. This one is loaded with EL-34 (modded from the original 6550), so the only question is whether to keep it as is or revert it to 6550.

IMG_5966.jpg
IMG_5969.jpg

Congrats! Over 40 years later still a surprisingly tough amp to rival. I’d keep it stock with the 34’s. More midrange & uppermid character and aggression, imo more Marshally sounding that way

Hey All,

I was on vacation and had an opportunity to purchase a 1979 JMP 2203 from the original owner. It is fairly close to a time capsule in terms of condition. It has the cleanest chassis I've seen on one this old. I am insanely picky about 2203s because they are my favorite amp and had been looking for a killer sounding clean one for several years. This is the cleanest for its age by far and, more importantly, the best sounding 2203 I have played. This one is loaded with EL-34 (modded from the original 6550), so the only question is whether to keep it as is or revert it to 6550.

View attachment 184153View attachment 184156
I just built a 2204 clone ...... and went with 6550's .............. absolutely love them !!

Congrats! Killer machine there...and right off the showroom floor! I had a 79 2204 that was that clean. Still had the sticker on the back that usually disappears over the years.
I'm more an EL34 guy but man, GE 6550s take those to another level...if you do go 6550s just bias them like a 34...if you go up into the 50ma range like a typical 6550 you may stress the OT.

Back