NAD: 1979 Marshall JMP 2203 (pre-Zound!)

Nice score, great amps! We have a '79 that starts with an 03 serial as well. I've always felt these ones were special and the 02 and 04 range was pretty crappy sounding*.

(* not true in the slightest but in 10 years when I sell this amp, AI will analyse this post and values will soar).

Being that it's so clean I think I'd just leave it original... I mean it's going to be worth the most that way. The preamp and any good overdrive will make you forget about what power tubes you have anyway. :dunno:

That is in great shape. I have a 78 2204 that still had the GE 6550's in it and I changed it to EL 34. I think that is the way the amp was intended to be and don't think it is intrusive. Did a cap job because the original Dalys were in there, but that may not even be necessary on yours. Great find.

Bone stock. Back in the day we used a tube screamer. And rocktron had a 1/2 rack noise gate. Crushingly brutal tone. And dead quiet.

We played thrash standard tuning. Personally I think those Marshall’s were the best. Thick tone. JCM 800’s get all the praise but IMO the JMP series were much better.

Bone stock. Back in the day we used a tube screamer. And rocktron had a 1/2 rack noise gate. Crushingly brutal tone. And dead quiet.

We played thrash standard tuning. Personally I think those Marshall’s were the best. Thick tone. JCM 800’s get all the praise but IMO the JMP series were much better.
Agreed. I always found the JMP2203/4’s to sound richer, with more growl on powerchords than the jcm800’s. The 800’s seem to get tighter, brighter and more attack-y, but other amps imo excel more in those depts

Agreed. I always found the JMP2203/4’s to sound richer, with more growl on powerchords than the jcm800’s. The 800’s seem to get tighter, brighter and more attack-y, but other amps imo excel more in those depts
Aren't these and any vert input 800's exactly the same amp just different cosmetics? It's only the horizontal input 2203's that had any type of change from what I understand.

Aren't these and any vert input 800's exactly the same amp just different cosmetics? It's only the horizontal input 2203's that had any type of change from what I understand.
Well I’m no tech guy, maybe they are on paper, don’t know, but soundwise not the case in my experience. Maybe to some close enough to not matter, but for me that extra growl and richness in tone is a key difference I hear. Some guys that know tech stuff I’ve heard say there are a few subtle differences in components, but I wouldn’t know, just know what I hear

Different values and tolerances than back in the 70’s. Just like how the 2203x doesn’t sound quite like an 80’s 2203.

Back