Kirk addresses the internet trolls ( us )

Honestly I 100 percent agree with everything he says, regardless of his playing ability. The dude has made millions of dollars on SONGS, not on showing off for guitar players. I get why he gets the hate and I definitely don’t like a lot of his “solos” either always, but I 100 percent think he’s way more in tune with what is actually important: the fucking song. Everyone seems to forget that these days it seems. Great songs are what matter, and you definitely can’t say he hasn’t been a part of those.

I agree with some of what was in that article but very much disagree about the modes. Maybe it’s because my childhood (like little kid) favorite band was the Beatles. For me most of the good stuff are those two notes NOT in the pentatonic that are there in the modes and sort of define them.

I totally agree about sweeping but I have one name for Kirk: Gambale.

Kirk seems like a legit nice guy. I’m sure he knows his modes of the major scale (which is not a big deal in any sense), but whether he uses them properly, or plays over anything where he’d need to is another thing. Modes of harmonic and melodic minor? Doubt it, but same holds true, how much jazz does he want/need to play that would even require that. He has nothing to prove to anyone and I honestly doubt he cares much about what his haters think.

Anyone here that loved Metallica when they were doing the first 5 albums will have to admit this one fact.
Every one of us can sing along with Kirk's solos from those albums.
They are iconic solos from iconic songs.
They are not shredder solos or experimental in any way whatsoever.
Granted...the reason we know these solos well enough to sing them is because we love the songs themselves.
That being said...Hetfield's solo on "Nothing else matters" is my favorite.

Anyone here that loved Metallica when they were doing the first 5 albums will have to admit this one fact.
Every one of us can sing along with Kirk's solos from those albums.
They are iconic solos from iconic songs.
They are not shredder solos or experimental in any way whatsoever.
Granted...the reason we know these solos well enough to sing them is because we love the songs themselves.
That being said...Hetfield's solo on "Nothing else matters" is my favorite.

Nailed it…. And (literally) nothing else DOES matter than this……they are memorable, musical, and fit the song. I’ll take that all day everyday over the super shredder who knows jack fuck about “playing for the part” and what’s actually important ( the song).

Imagine you’re one of the biggest bands literally ever, people are paying $7k a pop to meet and get a picture with you, yet you have to defend yourself against internet trolls and need hugs
$7K?!!! Crazy. A friend of mine was actually paid to meet Metallica about 20 years ago.
Mainly because he was serving them food at the diner he worked at.

You figure this schmuck has been playing for about 50 years.

His job is and was to play the guitar, all day every day.

With that much time invested, he should be much better.

There are plenty of people that work for a living every day that sound way better.

He is a mediocre guitar player at best.

I agree with what he was saying about fitting the solo in the context of the song and playing interesting melodic solos, using pentatonic for expression, etc…i just didn’t hear an interesting melodic solo in that song. I’m not a Kirk basher, I think he’s a really good player and the early stuff was amazing. Interesting interview.

Back