Gibson 80s Explorer Ebony - ’84 Explorer

They’re a day late and a dollar short on this. They should have run with this immediately after releasing that GOW explorer that was an 84 style in white, ebony board and EMG’s. Always pissed at myself that I never got one of those before they seemed to disappear from the used market and went way up in price. Remember seeing one at about $1400 or so on GC used, years ago and said to myself “you can’t do a frivolous guitar purchase right now, give it until X is taken care of”….Next time I saw one it was $2500…lol

If they just do a regular new neck shape and not the 80’s shape (which I really dig) this is worthless. Glad I already have an 80’s V.

They’re a day late and a dollar short on this. They should have run with this immediately after releasing that GOW explorer that was an 84 style in white, ebony board and EMG’s. Always pissed at myself that I never got one of those before they seemed to disappear from the used market and went way up in price. Remember seeing one at about $1400 or so on GC used, years ago and said to myself “you can’t do a frivolous guitar purchase right now, give it until X is taken care of”….Next time I saw one it was $2500…lol
agreed, the gotw one is what this should be. Those are like 4k now. I missed the boat.

I bought an original white '87 for way less than that last year. Not sure how these at $2500 make sense, especially considering they don't have an ebony board (which is a big difference)

I see why jackson kicked their @ back in the day..
Gibson was really floundering in the 80’s. Once superstrat fever hit just after the turn of the decade, LP’s etc were going like a fire sale. It wasn’t until GnR that Gibson started to come back into vogue. No wonder they still do so much Slash stuff because he kind of saved them back in ‘88.

Rosewood fretboard? I'm out. Why can gibson not get the explorer right? No wonder chinese companies are eating their fucking lunch.
Yeah I would gladly take richlite even. That’s not even dark rosewood, it totally ruins the thing. Black 84 Explorer should be black on black on black.

I spent around that much for my chubtone explorer. It's a bolt on but it absolutely killed my G.A.S. for an explorer from any company. If I did get another explorer I would try to get another chubtone one. I would do a white pick guard and block inlays if I did it over again.

I am just extremely pleased with how it turned out. Gibson should really do something a bit different. If I was them I would take the classic shapes, add stainless frets, locking tuners, luminlay side dots.

^ for real

and if it's just because of the color, you could always hit the board with ebony dye. That shit works pretty well in my experience

I'm a Gibson fanatic and it annoyed me when I saw this came out. They are 20 years too late and should have struck while the iron was hot.

A Snakebyte is how much with EMGs and locking tuners? They really missed the bus.

I'm a Gibson fanatic and it annoyed me when I saw this came out. They are 20 years too late and should have struck while the iron was hot.

A Snakebyte is how much with EMGs and locking tuners? They really missed the bus.
I wish I liked the neck shape on those. Would definitely have got one just to have a decent, affordable “explorer” but the profile is too small.

I’d rather have the RRR Explorer that sold in the classifieds yesterday but it was sold before I ever even saw it listed. 😢

The originals were rosewood? Oh well, that sucks. The Epiphone 84 Explorers that they put out some years back looked better.

Well, American Musical Supply got them in, and they were sold out in a day. Guess some don't mind the $2499, PLUS TAX, mind you.

Me? Thats a hard hell no.. $2499 is ridiculous.

There's nothing (well known company) US made that = Hetfield. That's why they are sold out. The white ones will go even faster.

Back