Gibson 80s Explorer Ebony - ’84 Explorer

Here’s a pic of the new 80’s Explorers

357EE28D-B791-4D4C-BB51-39F99261AF8D.jpeg

Idiots.

If it had an ebony board, a black tailpiece, and a non-absurd price, I'd have been all over that, even if the knob layout is stupid (and honestly you could just rearrange the controls if you wanted, not a huge deal).

Of course the brain geniuses at Gibson will see this guitar not sell well and think "WELP LOOKS LIKE NOBODY LIKES EXPLORERS ANYMORE AHYUCK" and stop making them, instead of considering even for a moment that they maybe just maybe they didn't sell well because Gibson fucked up the execution.

I'm curious if there's a limited run Hetfield version in white with an ebony board coming. The black w/ rosewood seems like the move you'd do if you wanted people to pay bigger bucks for a premium model.

Noob question here. Why is everyone mentioning the not ebony thing? I lately got the explorer itch and I‘m thinking of building one. Was planing to use a maple fretborad.

Noob question here. Why is everyone mentioning the not ebony thing? I lately got the explorer itch and I‘m thinking of building one. Was planing to use a maple fretborad.
If you use a maple fretboard I will saw my '78 explorer in half and use it for firewood . Oh wait a minute --If you build one it won't be a Gibson!!!

Back