Did I over react? Ebay content

scottosan

First,.I'd like to acknowledge that I've been burnt quite a bit recently. And while I've gotten my money back each time, it's a complete beat down and sucks alot of your time and stress to do it. As a result, in admittedly have trust issues and have a low tolerance for BS.

That said, I buy a guitar on quickly ending auction that literally had 2 minutes left. A quick check and I see the seller has a 100% feedback of 40 transactions and been a seller for 10 years. Normally I'd pass, but if it was a good deal and I didn't have time to sleep on it.

A few days go by and I finally get a tracking number. It showed the label was created but not yet accepted by the carrier. I waited and on the end of the 3rd dayfrom receiving from the seller, I politely reached out to the seller and asked if the packed was dropped off since it hasn't updated online. They responded that they are having a problem finding a box.

To me, this seems like a red flags since you cannot possibly purchase a valid shipping label without having the packaged weight and dimensions. I thought that was a valid question and asked and they avoided the answer and said they'd get it shipped the following day. At the end of the following day, still not shipped and asked again how they could buy a shipping label for someone that they don't even have a box for or packed yet. No answer. At this point, I feel I have to trust my gut and ask for a refund. Call it buyer PTSD, and I do feel guilty, but I just don't want to keep dealing with scams and sellers that don't have their stuff together at this frequency.

Tough to say, he could just be a little in experienced with shipping guitars. Were his previous sales recent & were any of them guitars?

Tough to say, he could just be a little in experienced with shipping guitars. Were his previous sales recent & were any of them guitars?
No, and while ebay showed 100%, 2 of the last 4 were negative for people not receiving item. I typically don't find a need to read the feedback if it it's 100%. How can ebay call that 100% feedback?

I still haven't gotten an explanation on the creation of a label without knowing the size and weight of the BOXED item. You simply can't do it
Screenshot_20230517-185137~2.png

Last edited:
Feedback from over a year ago doesn’t get counted.

I’m think they sold it for a lot less then they wanted and are hoping you will just ask for a refund so they can relist it.
Which, I'm fine with, but just be honest about it and give me my money back is all I expect.

I don't deal with eBay but is it possible to write a bad experience and it not affect the % feedback?

Can larger shops get a label without box dimensions?

But yeah, seems pretty fucked up.

Edit: if that is true that feedback that is over a year old does not count in the current % is complete bullshit.

No, and while ebay showed 100%, 2 of the last 4 were negative for people not receiving item. I typically don't find a need to read the feedback if it it's 100%. How can ebay call that 100% feedback?

I still haven't gotten an explanation on the creation of a label without knowing the size and weight of the BOXED item. You simply can't do
Yeah, seeing that, I would probably contact eBay and try to take some type of action.

I haven't bought a guitar on there in ages, but I can't recall ever seeing a 100% rating with feedback like that.

Have you checked the tracking number again?

There's a scam where they reuse an old shipping label to try to trick PayPal into showing a package as being delivered when they never shipped anything.

Have you checked the tracking number again?

There's a scam where they reuse an old shipping label to try to trick PayPal into showing a package as being delivered when they never shipped anything.
Yes, and it's still pending acceptance. That other scam I dealt with. I order several pounds of pickup wire one for it to show delivered I had to get contact info from the local post office to confirm that it was neither delivered to my address and that it was a 2oz package, clearly not large spools of copper.

I'm literally beat down from the decay of integrity

Scammers, shysters, thieves, scumbags, and con artists are running rampant these days. It’s despicable. From what I understand, eBay, reverb, etc., just eat it and move on. There are no repercussions for these losers. If its guitarist on guitarist crime, that’s lower than low!!

You can create shipping labels with FedEX Without dimensions and weight if you use a shipping account. They just weigh and measure when they get it to the warehouse. I do this all the time… create labels to ship stuff back to home when traveling (usually alcohol where I don’t want to create labels in the store and have them ask questions about what’s in the box). I never know the size of the box I’m using.

Even when I pack something I never really weigh it properly. I just estimate the weight and they always make adjustments when they bill me.

FWIW, I reuse shipping boxes and if a similar item is going in it, I just use the weight that was printed on the original label. Mostly with pedals since they won’t be that far off.

You can create shipping labels with FedEX Without dimensions and weight if you use a shipping account. They just weigh and measure when they get it to the warehouse. I do this all the time… create labels to ship stuff back to home when traveling (usually alcohol where I don’t want to create labels in the store and have them ask questions about what’s in the box). I never know the size of the box I’m using.

Even when I pack something I never really weigh it properly. I just estimate the weight and they always make adjustments when they bill me.
The tracking number was a USPS tracking number. Pretty sure that you need the weight dimension as it's printed on then label

The tracking number was a USPS tracking number. Pretty sure that you need the weight dimension as it's printed on then label
Yeah. I would agree on the USPS. Could still create a label, but if it doesn't match, could potentially be refused for insufficient postage. Though USPS may just bill your account for any difference. Never had that happen as when I use USPS I tend to be more accurate.

And if you're having issues finding a box, communicate that, just don't send tracking and do nothing or not communicate intent for a week
UPS store and FedEx Office have boxes specifically for guitars. Unless he’s hundreds of miles from either, there’s no excuse NOT to have a proper box.

I sold a pedal this morning. I shipped said pedal. I bought a pedal this morning. Said pedal was shipped out to me this morning. Not that complicated. I understand a guitar is a helluva lot bigger deal to ship….but damn…how the fuck can I buy a guitar from Japan on Thursday and have it the following Wednesday? It’s not that complicated to do.

Back