Picky About Picks?

I use Cool Picks. They are slightly brighter than most picks. They last a while and I resharpen them as they get worn. Here they are next to a Jazz 3 and regular Fender picks.

1684618847501.jpeg

I like pointless picks, they stopped making them a few years ago; I have a few left, should have bought more:

pointless-picks.png

Mostly using basic Fender Medium, Thin and Heavy picks now.

I've settled lately on Attak Stealth 2.0 with a little bit of Gorilla Snot product for better grip (props to smashedguitarist for recommending both)

Before that I used the V-Pick Screamer for like 14 years and still like it a lot, but can't play as fast or cleanly with them. The V-Pick Small P model works a little better for me in that regard, but still can play better with the Attak. Waiting now for my order of Howling Monkey picks

The Humschmidt Brass pick works really well in lower tuning, but doesn't for me work well in standard E tuning. Props again to smashedguitarist for that one

Last edited:
Check out this neat little Fender pick. I don't know if they still make these but they're great. As you can see, it's standard shape but notably smaller than standard size, pretty much as tall as the the Dunlop Jazz next to it. It doesn't have a pointy tip but it's a little narrower than the Dunlop standard so it has a pretty quick, articulate pick attack. It's also a tortoise shell pick so it has a nice tone and it's not slippery like a lot of celluloid picks.

Look at The Wedge pick on the right. It's very similar to the Clayton pick on the left but slightly pointier. This is one of my favorites and I think I like it's sound a little more than Clayton.

In the middle is a standard, pointy Ultex 1.14 mm. Compared to other 1.14 mm picks, it seems slightly thinner. I wanted to like this pick a lot but I prefer heavier Ultex picks.

Then there's the Jazz III XL. I love these picks but I've started moving towards heavier gouges. These picks are easy to maintain grip and have a nice tone. It's probably going to come down to either the Jazz III XL or EJ pick... but probably these because they're cheaper.

20230520_182618.jpg

You're right now that you made me think about it. They are a weird in-between size.
I remember having them in the XL pile though at the start of my shootout.

They're much closer to XL size than the smaller regular III size for sure.
I'd actually say it's the other way around. Closer to the standard III. But that's off the top of my head. So I cannot really confirm or deny your statement from memory, so don't take me too seriously. :D

Have you tried the 3-sided Petrucci picks? For me, they'd be perfect if they were the standard 1.35mm Jazz III thickness.

*EDIT* Oh, nevermind me. Looks like you're right.

Jazz-III-Picks.jpg

jazz III XL's I tried tons of different pick before finding these
I've been using noting else for at least 10 years now, I also find that they wear quickly :(

Ya, bought a sample pack of every one of his models.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0845Z7RZX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Spent some more time with the Hawk pick last night and I'm gonna use it all day today.
It's got such great tone on the lower strings. Less muffled than the Primetone or EJ.
What's the deal with the Primetone Petrucci picks? Are they as heavy as his usual stuff? I always like the Petrucci picks, just wished they were slightly less thuddy-sounding.

I have 2 “go-to” picks.

Jazz III EJ
Jazz III Tortex

I don’t like the regular nylon because they are too slick and the tip isn’t as good.

I also have some Petrucci picks but their slightly larger size I’m kind of hot/cold on.

As long as it’s jazz 3 shaped I’m good- can’t play anywhere as fast if it’s a larger one

EJ Jazz III just slid to #2. Have been really focusing on getting use to the Hawk
and now there's no turning back. So smooth and articulate, and just angle it a little
and the sucker can BLAZE. Probably got a million notes on it by now and can't detect
any wear at all. Got 4 more more on order. Orange tortoise this time.
This one is hard to see at night.

TB7 - standard bevel but custom 1.2 mm thickness. It's not shown as an option on the
site so you have to add it in the notes of the order. Standard Jazz III size - not III-XL.

20230525_095959.jpg

Again, not affiliated but highly recommend anyone using a III check one out.

https://hawkpicks.co.uk/

Last edited:
i dont know how you guys play such thick picks, id be pulling the strings off the saddles if i got a little too excited. i like the percussive rebound with thinner picks and thicker strings

i dont know how you guys play such thick picks, id be pulling the strings off the saddles if i got a little too excited. i like the percussive rebound with thinner picks and thicker strings
Which gauge you use? I can hear the .88 be a little bit snappier than 1.14 which is rounder and kind of fatter tone, but 1.14 seems to give a little more control. I can’t decide which gauge to go.

If you're not exactly sure where the low end resonant frequency bump is with your cab,
this pick will help you find it. :D

Oh, you mean they are round with too much low end?

If you mean round sound-wise then yes.
It's all relative since like noted, I could EQ the added bump out.
Also think the XXX-XL size is part of it. I hit too hard with them.
That roundness increase with heavier gauge is noticeable even at smaller thicknesses, that is why I can’t decide do I want 0.88 or 1.14. Maybe 1.0 is the key, but I don’t have a new one to compare.

Back