Picky About Picks?

MistaGuitah

How picky are you about your guitar picks? I've heard a few people say they don't change their guitar pick because they think it'll mess up their technique. Personally, I always randomly use 1.5mm to 2.0mm Dunlop and Clayton standard, Wedge, and Jazz picks. Lately I'm into Dunlop Ultex picks which have a great sound but something about the pock attack still throws me off, and I've been using them for several weeks. Anyway there are some guys who always have 2 or 3 picks specifically for strumming, alternate picking, or whatever.

Do you stick to the same one all the time or have some kind of individual system? What kind of pick do you prefer? Does your muscle memory demand consistency with the same pick?

Been doing a shootout between as many different Jazz III versions I could find.
Came down to these.

1 Eric Johnson - best all around
2 Hawk - super smooth but doesn't pinch easily
3 Primetone - good all around but dark

20230519_162825.jpg

Could do a gig with any one of them though.
The zero grip on the Hawk could be an issue with sweat and/or fatigue.

Last edited:
Been doing a shootout between as many different Jazz III size versions I could find.
Came down to these 3 - at the end of the day,

1 Eric Johnson - best all around
2 Hawk - super smooth but doesn't pinch easily
3 Primetone - good all around but dark and bassy

View attachment 207742

Could do a gig with any one of them though.
The zero grip on the Hawk could be an issue with sweat and/or fatigue.
Dude the EJ pick is awesome. It's not my preferred material but it's so articulate but plays like butter and not harsh. I've only started using Jazz III picks the last several months as they were always too small for my big hands, and they were causing me to use more finger/thumb movement. Since I modified my right hand technique to more of an up/down wrist motion, the heavy Jazz III XL has been outstanding. Tell me about the Primetone because I have a very bright guitar with SS frets and am curious if it might help a tiny bit with the high end sizzle. Is it's tone really that pronounced or do you mean relatively?

Tell me about the Primetone

If your ears were blocked you couldn't tell the difference with it and the EJ.
They both feel the same across the strings. Primetone is just darker.

I've been listening to a LOT of Haken and Richard Henshall.
Very fast yet articulate - EJ is my sweet spot for that.

For what it's worth, Plini uses a Primetone. It's a great pick.
Was using one exclusive for at least 2-3 months before the shootout.

Last edited:
I prefer Uktex sharps .88 or 1mm. I lightly score both sides with a blade and helps the grip alot. I have a medium to heavy pick attack.

Been using Ultex 1.0 mm picks simce they came out. Recently switched to .73’s. Just wish they were a different color, drop one and it is gone!

I've been using the same picks for about 20 years - dunlop tortex blue 1.0mm.
Recently I've been slightly playing with variance and going with purple (1.14mm) and the gator grips (1.14mm), but I really always end up with the standard tortexes (not flow, not sharp).

I sort of bounce back and forth between the Ultex Jazz 3 1.4mm pick and Dunlop Tortex black jazz 3 1.5mm.

To my ears, I hear a bit of difference when using either pick. The tortex seems to sort of introduce a bit of high end to the overall tone, while the Ultex seems to somewhat take that high end out and almost seems to tighten the pick attack)... I definitely hear the difference when using head phones to jam at home.

Again, that's what my ears hear. Doesn't mean everyone will hear or interpret the same.

Cheers

I used to always use that green cortex dunlops for years.
Then moved into the Ultex picks but I chewed those down like nothing.
Tried the Primetone units and again, their edges wear really quickly.
Used the Dunlop Messhugah picks for a couple of years and liked the extra grip on them.
I finally settled on the Dunlop flow gloss in 2mm. They seem to last a long time and are easy to hold and use. The indentation on them makes them feel thinner than they are and gives me great control with the fast runs.

If your ears were blocked you couldn't tell the difference with it and the EJ.
They both feel the same across the strings. Primetone is just darker.

I've been listening to a LOT of Haken and Richard Henshall.
Very fast yet articulate - EJ is my sweet spot for that.

For what it's worth, Plini uses a Primetone. It's a great pick.
Was using one exclusive for at least 2-3 months before the shootout.
Cool and thanks for letting me know about them. Now that I'm getting comfortable with a new right-hand technique, I want to explore picks a little and see which ones I can settle on.

I sort of bounce back and forth between the Ultex Jazz 3 1.4mm pick and Dunlop Tortex black jazz 3 1.5mm.

To my ears, I hear a bit of difference when using either pick. The tortex seems to sort of introduce a bit of high end to the overall tone, while the Ultex seems to somewhat take that high end out and almost seems to tighten the pick attack)... I definitely hear the difference when using head phones to jam at home.

Again, that's what my ears hear. Doesn't mean everyone will hear or interpret the same.

Cheers
Heavier Ultex picks is where it's at if you go the Ultex route. The standard size Ultex is slightly smaller than the Tortex standard. What's great about the Ultex is the pointy shape which is not too pointy and has a nice, natural curve from the tip around to the thumb.

Ultex picks do have a slightly harsh sound, but I found that in 1.14 mm and below. Thicker Ultex picks sound better to my ears. What kind of shifted me back to Tortex is that there's a weird friction with Ultex picks that's hard to explain. I don't know much on the properties of the materials but I think Ultex is supposed to have less friction. That's what makes it weird because it comes right off the string but still somehow makes sort of a fine grinding chirp. That pick sound is not as smooth as tortoise shell picks but more durable and sticks to the fingers a little better.

Jazz IIIs in Ultex, Tortex, and Flex (I also use Clayton acetal) have been what I've experimented with for a few months though I formerly stuck to standard size. I've since found happy ground with Jazz III XLs. The reason is because of the pick is too small, it causes me to use more index/thumb movement which screws up my muscle memory after a couple of weeks. The XLs have just enough more to allow me to keep primarily wrist movement (maybe because I have slightly large hands).

If you compare materials in the Jazz III, the thicker the pick, the less material matters. Keep in mind I tend to play a lot of fast alternate and hybrid picking. It allows heavy riffing, some pick/finger picking, and some strumming; but strumming is harder to control dynamics and lends less to swing sort of timing - in my experience.

Ultex is a great all-around material for Jazz IIIs, but Flex picks are surprisingly good. I'm not mich on Delrin or real plasticky or glossy materials but Thicker Flex picks have a great sound and ease in crossing strings. They also don't slip out of the fingers which is something I get a little with lighter Ultex picks.

Well these are my impressions but I'd like to keep hearing more because I think picks become much more of a factor as technique becomes stable and developed.

I'm more picky about the sound than the feel.

As long as it's Jazz III-sized, I can probably play it. I do prefer it not being super mega stiff, though.

But I prefer the tone of 1mm Tortex.

If that's the case, and if you haven't already, grab some of these and give them a serious test drive.
Excellent pick!

It says Jazz III but it's actually an XL size.

https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-427PJ...Cz6ABX9nsVW2GAoTIhA0ViuU-2uJOmQxoCWP4QAvD_BwE
I think those are neither standard-sized Jazz III nor Jazz III XL. They're kind of in between. I have a few laying around.

*No, nevermind. I don't have any laying around anymore. But I'm pretty sure they're smaller than XL's, but larger than regulars.

Last edited:
I think those are neither standard-sized Jazz III nor Jazz III XL.

You're right now that you made me think about it. They are a weird in-between size.
I remember having them in the XL pile though at the start of my shootout.

They're much closer to XL size than the smaller regular III size for sure.

Jazz III XLs for me. Usually 1.35 but I jump around anywhere between 1 and 2 mm. If they would just make one that lasted, that would rule. IME they don’t last for shit. I go through one of these in like an hour. Sucks because otherwise they’re almost perfect.

Back